Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law & Ethics

Legally how many times do you have to ask someone to stop texting you before it's harressment??
Find answers to your legal question.

Legally how many times do you have to ask someone to stop texting you before it's harressment??

Vicky T Viking
If you continue to receive text messages from someone when you have asked them to stop and it is becoming a problem, try to keep some of them on your phone or write them down with the time and date you received them. If you are harassed in any other way also keep notes of that and report each incident to the police. The notes and text messages can be used as evidence in court if it goes that far. Nobody has a right to repeatedly contact you when you don't want them to.

I had a stalker for 2 years who started by sending me text messages and then threatening ones. I won't go into detail but some people offered to beat up the offender but I thought it might come back to me and make things worse but to be honest the police were useless and it would have been better for me if he'd got beaten up and was out of action for a while. It would have given me some peace and a chance to sleep.

wendyek
good question, i asked this to the Police when an ex harrassed me ? What did they say: keep evidence etc...

Too late, was too scared, I took my son and my life and moved on, what happended to OUR RIGHTS ???

angel 36
Rating
one time is enough after that they are harassing and stalking you

pickles
just keep a file of everything they send to you and send a report to the police, i doubt very much that someone would actually be thrown in jail or something for texting 3 times, though you could try to get an injunction against the person if you wanted to take it that far. only after the person has broken the injunction i believe that the law can lock the person up or fine them or whatever...

dwndubois
Iwould save a few of them and a few of yurs asking to be left alone. Then go file a complaint.

eldude
I have no idea about 'texting' laws, but usually, if you explain to someone, just one time, that you will not tolerate being contacted by them and you will call the police, that is enough of a warning. You don't have to give them chances.

STEVEN F
It is legally harassment after the first warning. However, you will need to show more than one instance before anyone will press charges.

GAVIN E
Rating
The answer to your question is once.

Once you have asked him the once, then if he continues to send then it is harrassment.

What I would do is go back to the police and explain to them the situation and see if they would issue you with a crime reference number.

Once you have this, you can phone your network provider, and explain to them that you are being harrassed by a certain mobile number.

You should ask them to change your number, and as you have a crine reference numbe, they should accomodate your request.

finglas9
change your number.be in control. if harrasment persists it is clear the other party is detrmined to harrass you. but do something where you remain in control...change the number.

LoudonYankee
Rating
once.

wholy w
once but have a witness that you told them that (they might deny it). aslo the cops might ask why you just didnt block them (if a block feature is available). try to block it first, if that doesn't work then contact the authorties.

WillyFogg
Once

sweetie
Rating
when its upsetting you and coursing you stress

pompanopete0
WE ALL AGREE _

ONLY ONCE!!!!!

hexeliebe
It is not harassment until you file charges.

Isabella G
Rating
legally?? testing laws??

ha ha

Gem
3 times??

jesterizmeee
Rating
2 times... thats when i got a call from a detective about my ex....

fixerjustni
Harassment is unwanted attation, yes? What if, you have a renter that moves out and does not pay his/her final bill. You dont know where they moved too. All you know is their frist and last name. Its not really worth it to go to court over $300. Would it still be a type of harassment to text or e-mail the person they ow you money.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Why aren't you in a union?
I am amazed at the number of people on this forum who are asking employment related questions. A lot of them are regarding employers acting unlawfully. Unionised workplaces are safer, less ...

What are the Consequences Of Not complying with laws?

My dog bit someone's finger through the letter box,now im being sued?
Hi.

A policeman was delivering leaflets in our area and put one through our letter box.Our 8 year old border collie nipped his finger.He called round 3 days later and said that if we ...

Should the U.S. government create a DNA fingerprint database of all citizens at birth?
I need your opion on this question so i can use it in a dabate at school so whther your pro or con please state your opion?...

Is it legal for people under 18 to smoke cigarettes?
I know it sounds stupid but is it true that it is only illegal for minors to buy cigarettes, but they are free to smoke them?...

How do I legally punish someone to stole from me?
I have my own business. Someone whom was in a position of thrust embezzeled money from my company. Due to the complexity of the situation the police believe it is not a criminal matter but a civil ...

Was i discriminated against? tanning salon wants to sue me!!!!?
there is a RUDE sign at the tanning salon..."weight limit 285 pounds". the girl at the counter actually had the audacity to aks me how much i weighed! she started ranting about the acrylic ...

If water boarding is torture to a liberal, what is partial birth abortion to a baby?

Additional Details
In that some have responded that an unborn child is an embryo, I see nothing embryonic about a fully formed, mentally alive child that has cleared the birth canal ...

How can I get my boyfriend to stop buying cigarettes for 16 year olds?
I have begged him and he has even told the guy he cant buy anymore and yet he goes back and does it when the guy asks him....

Frivolous Lawsuit?
I read and saw on yahoo about the neighbors suing the other neighbors because they said that their kids were too loud in the pool. I heard the tape, and they just sounded like kids being kids! What&...

When pressing charges, how far should I go?
Today at school my son was talking to a friend during PE. Another student came up from behind him and stabbed him in the chest (mid chest to the right of the sternum) with and ink pen. There is a ...

Is carrying a hidden dictaphone at work legal?

Do you think it is wrong that we monitor phone calls of potential terrorists that are US citizens?

If you were going to court...?
Would you want Judy or Joe?...

Do u think they should bring back the electric chair?
or maybe the gas chamber. i think lethal injection is to humane for some of the crimes people do. what are ya'll points of view? remember this is my opinion and i want to hear urs!
A...

If I pay child support to my ex wife and she gets remarried, am I still obligated to pay?

Is it legal to lower your salary?
I know a co-worker of mine gave his two-week notice because my boss lower his salary. My co-worker wanted to cut his days of work. I guess my boss didn't like that. I know that was seriously ...

You're running from the police and you fall, while you're down on the ground- you are tazed. Is this legal?

Which law is worse: Mandatory seat belt use or price gouging?

I rcvd a mail from stating that I have a job in nigeria ? Is it true ??
SHELL NIGERIA INC. (SNI)
Job Vacancies
TITLE: PRODUCTION SHARING CONTRACT
Job ID: PSC/JV/SNI 01145-07 Nigeria.
Shell Nigeria Incorporation (SNI) has immediate employment

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Tuesday, November 25, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links