Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law & Ethics

One something is thrown into the trash, can anyone legally take it?
Find answers to your legal question.

I can't seem to find the info on the internet...
Additional Details
Are there any links I could look at? I live in the state of Texas

nonof y

Well, this city doesn't think so.
http://www.redding.com/news/2008/jul/30/waste-workers-disiplined/

And I worked in several stores in Michigan. No one was allowed to take items from the trash or they were prosecuted for theft. People try to take broken items out of the trash, take them into the store for a refund or take them home to repair and use and sometimes to sell. The idea was that then the people would not purchase the item from the store, so it was considered stealing to remove items from the trash.
The best idea is to get permission from whoever owns the trash bin or dumpster.

barbilover13
sure go ahead dig in

Emy
yes you can! someone's trash is someone else's treasure

megggmeegg!
Rating
yes, they can because they threw it in the trash and it is not theirs anymore. when i was getting a new bed and i threw my old one out, i out it outside where my trash on the curb someone took it because it was still in good shape.

Jack B
If you put the trash in a " common " trash can [ say in an apartment building ] , it is " fair game " , also if you live in a single family house , and you put your trash at the curb for pick up by waste management , it is also " fair game "

soccer playa
Yes but only once it's at the end of the street ready to be picked up, but if its just in like a dumpster go ahead!!!
have fun with your garbage ;P!

hannibalNclarice
Yes. Once it is out of your hands, it is considered public property.

jess
Rating
yes you may.

♥ Juicy Couture all the Way! ♥
Yes because it's not your property anymore. Once you put it outside in the designated spot where you put your trash or recycling, its not your property anymore. Anyone can leaf through it at anytime and you can't stop them because it's then public property. Anything that resembles trash is also not yours even if you didn't want it to be trash. Be careful with that kind of stuff. Shredders are GREAT inventions!

Dana
Rating
Yes you can. Unless it's the President's Speech ha :P But if someone has a baskball hoop they are throwing out or something that is in good shape and they are throwing it out, you should ask them if you could take it. It's just more of a polite way.

Josh
unfortunatily,when u throw something in the trash it becomes waste.anyone can leagally look through it or take it. unless i am mistaken it is federial law

Team Artemis!!!
Yup. dosent matter if its an old Tv or a couch or desk. its legal.

PattyAnn
If something is sitting loose at curbside, it's fair game. Still, when I saw a chair thrown in the trash, I went to the door and asked the folks if I could have it. Sometimes they have paid for pickup, and I wouldn't want to mess that up. If it's in a trashcan, you are not entitled to open the can and go through it.

?
i don't know what you mean
sorry

Kayleigh
Rating
Yes.
On CSI they didnt have what they needed on hand so they used something from that persons garbage (to make an imprint to see the shape) because they didn't have a warrent to take the object.

Arcare
Totally, if you want

KK
Yes.

Sophie (:
Yeaah
x33

Grace Z
yes.

kaching
Rating
i take thangs from houses that has not beeing on the trash so i guees that ones is in the trash it's easier to still it, i mean take it

Brandie C
no

teamof1
When Tim Hortons had Roll Up the Rim one year, two girls rolled up the rim of a cup that someone (I think it was their teacher) had thrown out. The prize was a Toyota Rav4. The man fought the girls, claiming that the car was his, since he bought the coffee, but Tim Hortons awarded the girls the prize. I hope that answers your question :)

prGuy
But what if someone else throws it in the trash? For example a workplace with lots employees. It could become a loophole for stealing...

James Coates
I live in an apartment complex which city housing also uses for tenant placement. Two months ago the apartment above me got assigned by San Antonio housing. The tenant moved in felons and homeless people. I complained to manager and one felon was removed. Also, they are IV drug users, coke at day and heroin at night. Also they have drilled holes in my and other apartments around her. Twice she has flooded my bath with urine and feces. When I call the police, housing gets involved and tells the police they have evicted the tenants and the homeless man. When I call the manager with a complaint, housing calls the tenant. Today I called to complain and housing called the tenant and told them to clean the apartment. The tenant threw away two big black bags of trash. I retrieved the trash to turn over to police. Did I fail to mention I'm a disabled veteran with PTSD and now the memory of two months on camera by drug using felons? HELP!

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Do u think marijuana should b legalized? Y?/ Y not?

Can I be charged for resisting arrest?
If I am not being arrested?

Lets say I get pulled over and the cop goes back to his car to write a ticket and I begin to resist arrest in my car then stop when he comes back....

Whats your thoughts on abortion?
i'm not talking about relgiously, im talking about politically... i have my own opinion, and i was just looking to see what other people thought... like for those who are against it... why do ...

If your boss walked in to your office right now and fired you, how long would it take you to pack your office?
Would you need more then one box?

I'm looking around and I must practically live here because so much of the stuff in this office is mine. It would take me half a day to sort through ...

Blacks vs.White.... White vs Black?? People get real?
I just sent a "?" regarding why white people get angry...I am not racis at all! I was not talking about all white people, but there are some! Let the truth be told people pretend to like ...

Should writing a short story about a school shooting warrent expulsion?
even when the kid i am talking about didnt use any names and didnt even bring the story to school. his mom found it and called the cops who told the school who expelled him.
Additional Details

How do you feel about euthanasia?

Is it illegal for a 16 year old to sleep with an 18 year old?

Additional Details
In New Hampshire....

Can paedophiles be rehabilitated or should they be locked up for life and or castrated?
Due to the fact that they are more likley to re-...

Can you sue if a co-worker hits you?
Can I sue the company I work for if a co-worker hit me and it has been documented and there are witness who has seen his threats of violence before. Can I sue the Co-worker. I live in California....

What age can teenager leave home with and without parents permission?
so what age can i leave home to live in flat and stuff in the UK...

Is it wrong to steal from a thief ?

What is the legal age you should stop getting whipping?
is there a legal age you should stop getting whippings and when is ...

Should the United States still carry the death penalty?
Is there a need to sentance a criminal to death for a crime they may or may not have committed? I don't see how sentancing someone to death for a crime they may or may not have committed can ...

I got a ticket for speeding im 18 should i tell my parents?

Why does America have the death penalty when most countries don't allow it?

Is this legal? Can I get out of this?
Here is a scenario:

I was asked to purchase a home for someone who has the funds to make the mortgage payments, but is in the process of getting his residence in order (so technically he ...

If ther is non-smoking places or rooms to be made smoking why can't everyone just get along?
I just feel that my rights as a smoker has been stripped.This is a free country last I heard.I try to respect others and they try taking my rights.There can be smoking and non-smoking places.As for a ...

Why do we keep people in prison that never has a chance to get out?

Additional Details
Isnt it a waste of money keeping them there?...

Death penalty in britian?
what are your thoughts on bringing the death penalty back to britian? the latest news here is that a womans husband was virtually kicked to death by boys that are 16, 17, and 19 years of age, and all ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Saturday, November 1, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links