Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law & Ethics

Possible breach of privacy by my employer please read?
Find answers to your legal question.

Possible breach of privacy by my employer please read?

i broke my ankle on saturday and had to take time off work (which i have a doctors not for) but my manager has told my ex boyfriend(who works in the building next to ours) that i have broken my ankle infact whenever i am away from work he asks him where i am or tells him im not there is this a breach of confidentiality

photog
There is no privacy law in the UK - even if there was this would not count as a breach.

The only type of law in the UK which could relate to privacy is the Data Protection act and this covers Data which companies hold on a person.
Again this instance would not count.

Just tell your employer that if anyone makes a personal enquiry as to where you are etc that you would prefer they did not give out the information.

a

thylawyer
How, pray tell, did the manager know your boyfriend works in the building next door? Did he use a psychic? Mindreader? Or perhaps you told him or you used your bf to pass messages to him in the past. So much for privacy, eh?

Captain Sarcasm
Rating
Let common sence prevail.

Choose the right moment, tell your manager how you feel in a diplomatic and polite way.

Pooh Bear
Rating
It doesnt strike me as being so.
If you feel it is perhaps you should have a quiet word with the manager and ASK him if he wouldnt mind but you would rather he didnt discuss you with your ex boyfriend. Keep it cool, keep it nice and dont get uppity about it.

fdm215
It is absolutely inappropriate for your employer to disclose personal information about you. This includes your health and your whereabouts. If you work for a large firm with an HR department, you should definitely approach them to intercede with your manager.

Presumably your manager is an adult and should be expected to know that discussing an employee with his or her former boyfriend/girlfriend is in appropriate for manager to do.

Bardic
Rating
It's not entirely appropriate, but on the other hand it's hardly a secret that you've broken your ankle. Anyone who saw you do it, saw you at A & E or sees you hobbling about in plaster will know.

Just a thought, does your manager know this guy is no longer your boyfriend? Perhaps he thinks he still is and is expressing concern for you in asking this bloke if you are alright, assuming he'd know.

Common
Rating
Is it appropriate? No.

Is it illegal? No. The fact that you have a broken ankle is not confidential information under any state law. Besides, so your ex comes over and asks if you're there and the manager says "no, she's not" - how is that a violation of your privacy?

The bottom line is that you have a fundamental misunderstanding of what your rights are. Unless the information your boss is giving out is protected by law, then he can tell whoever he wants. It may not be professional but its perfectly legal.

Dirk W
You could always put a motion in to a judge. Call your local courthouse and ask them what you can do. That's your best bet. But yes, that is a breach of privacy, no doubt about it.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

I just got a dui. someone told me that since I was injured (broke my hand) that its going to be a felony?
No one else was injured besides me.I heard they were changing the dui laws making them stricter....

Is this considered insult or verbal harassment?
A biochem. professor at my university constantly tells me my questions about biochemistry are "silly" (in a bad tone and in anger). During her office hours, she told me that I "better ...

Why don't they use lie detector machines in murder cases where there is a fairly obvious suspect?
I mean to prove the machine wrong would be very hard wouldn't it?...

The abortion law in QLD is illegal, unless the life of a women is in danger. Do you think this right?
Im doing an assignment at the moment, and need to involve soceity's views on the issue. Thank you all....

I am being Sued what is the cheap way to take care of this ?
I am being sued by a person in Michigan and he has law knowledge and knows how to file all of the paperwork and file answers in legal terms. What is the cheapest way to handle this ? Can I get help ...

Opinion on harassment?

What do you think the punishment for this guy should be?
The man implicated in the death of Baby P (and torture) has also been accused of raping a two year old child... the little girl is thought to be the youngest to give evidence in a trial.

W...

Can I appeal a restraining order?
A long time live in girlfriend of mine filed a restraining order on me because I told her I wouldn't leave our home until I payed off some debts first. We were breaking up of course but I pay ...

If I shot someone with their own gun, would I get in trouble?
I was wondering like if there were to be someone who points a gun at my face in a public resturant or something and they wanted my wallet. Then out of self defense, I grab their gun and knocks him ...

How do I find out if I am a Florida resident or not?

Additional Details
BECAUSE, I know where I live BUT FL is still saying I am aresident AND I am not. THANK YOU!...

Can your credit card company take money from your bank account without your consent to do so (Ontario, Canada)?
I just went to check the balance in my bank account & the Visa account that was linked to my chequing account has taken $550.00 of my pay. Is this legal!? They do not have a judgement against me ...

What Made you want to be a lawyer?
i want to be a lawyer but first i want to ask a few lawyers what made them want to be ...

Marajuana legalization poll?
Im in 8th
and doin an essay on the legalization of weed
a simple yes or no will work, but who ever gives me the best explanation gets the ...

What are your beliefs about the death penalty?
Do you believe the methods used, in general, are humane? Do you believe that are inhumane? I live in California and if you are found guilty of murder and sentenced to the death penalty, you get ...

Father passed, his friend wont give me the car he owned?
ok ill try and make this short as i can. my father passed in sep08. Im his only family. I got left with bills, funeral cost, everything...however i would not have had it any other way. Now he was ...

Should banks and auto industry be banned from using tax payer money to lobby congress?

Additional Details
It is my opinion that if a Industry accepts tax payer funded bailout money they should forfeit right to lobby. I was just wondering if this is a prevelent ...

When you file a small claim and your witness can't attend...?
can they write the information on paper, sign it and put their phone number?...

Why do some people say the 14th Amendment conveys "birthright citizenship?"?
The language and the history of the amendment show that it does not. Why did the courts ignore all this evidence?
Additional Details
Why leave out the phrase "and subject to the ...

My buddy was paying child support for a kid apparently his but he never has seen or had a relationship for....?
the girl was seeing another guy for like 5 years and had a child with that guy as well but they have since broke up......now that guy said to my friend that the girl is getting child support from him ...

Would being "pro-choice" on slavery be all that distinguishable morally from being in favor of it?
Suppose a person was personally opposed to owning slaves, but did not want to make it illegal - and slavery DOES exist in some parts of the world today. Would they be right in taking offense to ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Wednesday, July 30, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links