Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law & Ethics

Should I sue Target?
Find answers to your legal question.

Should I sue Target?

I was at Target last night, around the home section and I feel something on my shoe, so I turn around, and theres a brown pile of something in the middle of the isle. I pick my shoe up and smell it to see what it was, it was poop. It made me very sick and I was really dissapointed that, that happened. So, I go to tell a manager, and my boyfriend was more angry about it than anyone else, and we told her about that and how it was completely rediculous and they should do something for us because of it. So she told us, "Why, what do you want, a apology?" As rude as she could. ..and said "Well its not our fault, thats the customers fault." I've been in retail business, and the customer ALWAYS comes first! So should I call the Target Corporate office and go talk to a lawyer? Need some advice.

Peace is PRICELESS
You should definatley talk to the Corporate Office, as something similar to that happened to me at a Macy's store involving urine. Since the woman was so terribly rude to you and your boyfriend, explain the situation to them. Tell the date, store, the manager's name, etc. However, if they are unresponsive and unhelpful, then it may be time to call a lawyer and discuss your options.

sunkissed93
Rating
file a complaint. you have a right as a customer to complain! i dont think you should SUE for poop though.

rogueriverbob
Rating
what are your damages??,.....some crap on your shoe??,.....you have no case,.....

yellobrix
So, just to restate the situation -- some stranger pooped on the floor in a store. Then you stepped in it. And you both got really angry because the workers at the store don't have someone on poo-poo patrol at all times, on the off chance that doody might be in one of the aisles.

Sorry, but there are no actions - either taken by the store, or failed to have taken - that have caused you harm or loss or debilitating emotional distress.

To point out the obvious: pretty much everyone knows what a chunks of feces look like without needing to remove a shoe and take a big whiff for confirmation.

It's true, though, that the person at the store shouldn't have been rude, no matter how absurdly bizarre your actions are.

Too bad you can't sue yourself for being goofy enough to sniff.

ANN
Rating
I don't think you should sue, but I would talk to the overall manager of the store and if that doesn't get the results you desire. I would go to the corporate office and complain to them. But what I don't understand is what did you want them to do for you, besides give an apology. Odds are some child had an accident and the pile of poop hadn't been brought to their attention until you stepped in it.

queenD
That's awful that there was poop in the store, and worse that the manager didn't even apologize for it. I think you should just look up Target's corporate office and explain that the manager was rude about it. Maybe they will compensate you in some way, but I wouldn't expect anything big if I were you. And, although it's really gross, it's not something to sue over.

natasha
Rating
Who cares. I mean yeah she should have been nicer about it but its your fault. Maybe you should be more aware of your surroundings. Quite trying to make a quick buck. Its tacky and only make you look bad. No one is going to rule in your favor.

visvardis
Rating
we live in a sue happy society sue them for what you couldnt tell what was on the floor was poop you had to smell it? lets give the woman $10,000 because she smelled poo on her shoe oy!!! how does the store know you or your boyfriend didnt make the steaming pile grow up **** happens lol

Liz/Lizzy
I think sue-ing is a little much.....i'm not really sure....complain some more or somin'.

mishkin
just relax

You could probably write an angry e-mail to the corporate office but I don't think your lawsuit would go far; believe me Target can hire some pretty good lawyers, plus I don't think they are liable to you anyways

weechi
Rating
no! that's why products and virtually everything else in this country is going up in price...people who are "sue happy." what you should do is contact the store manager...tell her calmly, and with class, about the incident. and i'm sure you will be issued an apology. yes, they should have handled it better...but was it target who put the poop there?? they have over 50 isles in that store...don't you think something is bound to be left on the floor for more than a few moments without someone noticing? if it had been a 20 dollar bill, you'd be happy no one picked it up, rather than complaining. it's just different to you because of what it was. just because it was gross, that doesn't make target any more liable than if it was something good.

krennao
Because you stepped on Poop? Wow do you live in CT?

KittyKat
Did you see her or an employee drop it on the floor? The only way someone is liable is if they are the guilty party or in this case, one of their employees did this. And why should you be compensated for it? The customer isn't always right even though some seem to think they are.

I would love for you to own a store and have something like this happen and see how you felt about a lawsuit coming your way. Something tells me you wouldn't like it and you would have a right not to.

You can file a complaint on her attitude to the home office but there is NO lawsuit in this, good grief. What ever happened to common sense?

Dan H
Rating
What are you going to sue for? Having some s*** on your shoe? How did this really hurt you? Are you so fragile that a little poop in your life is going to affect everything you do for the rest of your life? Give the courts a break.

Your response should be to call, and write to the corporate customer service and tell them what happened, what store it happened in, the date and the time and the people involved and their response to the incident. It is inexcusable the response you got from a customer service standpoint and as a boss, I would want to know who is responding like that in one of my stores. It is not something you sue over.

2cents
Rating
you definitley need to call the corporate office.... i don't know about suing, but you should get to the top of the corporate ladder in this one, because they handled it terribly...that manager should be fired

Griffin R
Rating
I think you should call the corporate office first, from that you should decide to talk to a lawyer from what they say.

flgiirl_leilani
Rating
Call their corporate office, call the local newspapers, radio stations, news stations... draw attention to it because that is GROSS!!!

gop_lisa
That's entirely up to you. If you were offended that much then by all means pursue it if you must.

Good luck!

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Why are the troops' lives LESS important than a CELL that can't see, hear, feel or FART?!?
Why does Bush think it's ok to send thousands of young troops to die in a pointless war, obviously driven by the lust for oil and power, and is 'just appalled' at the idea of using ...

Do you agree Abortion should be up to the woman not anyone else?

Additional Details
Peggy - It's my damn business when the liberals want my tax dollars to help pay for them....

Are American "Friendly Fire" incidences really mistakes?
e.g; Tanks taking shots at a hotel that was full of Journalists. U.K Tornado flying in formation with U.S planes shot down by a surface-to-Air missile in a neutral zone. Journalist Terry Lloyd's ...

Do you believe that the death penalty is an appropriate punishment?
http://flamedebate.com/?...

I am having prblems where i work the team manager is being racist too me.?
hi,
i work in retail store, and my team manager for some reason treats me badly. I am a muslim born and bred in the uk but for some reason she gives white people the better job and puts us asian ...

How can i stop my husband from exhuming my baby's body for compensation?
My baby died over 20 yrs ago then about five years ago i found out that she had been one of the children who had been involved with the organ scandle which started from the reports about the Alder H...

Is it right for a church to deny a memorial after finding out the person was gay?

Is it fraud? any advise pls?
hi all, last year in August i was receiving some parcels almost every week though i didnt make any order. they were 6 all together and included moblie phones,Dvd and an mp3 player. infact i was ...

Have u ever been in prison?

What is your take on the Iran "boat" confrontation?

Is there any way or place in the U.S. that a 16 year old can get married WITHOUT parental concent?

Do you think marijuana should be legalized? why or why not?

Do Stupid People Deserve Their Death... ?
I'm not really talking about murderers, treasonists, terrorist, or rapists.. i already think they could use a public hanging...

I'm talking more along the lines of plain Stupid ...

If you knew a big company was causing hardship to a community, would you still buy the product?
just an example, coke a ...

Should guns be illegal or is okay?
I think guns should be illegal. In general, without guns, people won't die so much. I'm not gonna go into specifics, but crimes and mortality based on gun shootings will be less since it ...

How can I report my neighbor to the improper authorities?
It snowed yesterday, and my neighbor shoveled part of my sidewalk. I want to report him to the improper authorities. How can I, and which authorities would be improper for this?...

Should you be allowed to protect your property and family from house breakers with force, like in U.S.?
I'd beat the livin' crap outta them if someone broke into my house or threatened my family!...

Why do death row inmates still protest their innocence moments before they are executed?
Sorry about all the death row questions. Just interesting!

Why would someone who knows they are about to die still protest their innocence moments before being executed?

Do you ...

Banning smoking in public places?
I'm wondering what other people think.
I think it's rediculous.
I can understand %110 about people being concerned for the sake of non-smokers' health, but why can't ...

Should employers capitalise on the soon to be introduced Smoking ban?
I believe that over the years we have made excuses and allowances for smokers skiving off their jobs to take numerous smoking breaks in a day. This is an unfair entitlement they have had for a long ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Tuesday, October 21, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links