Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law & Ethics

Should we lower the driving/permit age to 14 in the US?
Find answers to your legal question.

Should we lower the driving/permit age to 14 in the US?

Ive seen a bunch of websites against it. Half of the people are against lowering it because they assume that half of the teen drivers are a bunch of idiots getting drunk while they are driving or assumeingthat they are immature. The fact is that their are some teenagers who aren't addicted to drinking and are actually mature. If a kid can drive a go kart why not an actual car?

Rico87
Nah.....

May J
Rating
no

iiidontknowdoyou
If you could drive a car you would know the difference! Not no but HELL NO!

Curvature
nope

blue316
Rating
no...raise it to 16 and license at 18

schurz04
If it was up to me, I would raise it to 18. The problem is that the juveniles do run around and get drunk and screw around, but they actually think they are mature.

barthebear
No. Raise it to 18 since most teens do not have the $ to pay for insurance and it would make them more responsible to not use their parents cars

Teekno
Rating
Teen drivers have a much, much, much higher accident rate than the national average.

Allowing 14 and 15 year olds to drive will serve no purpose. It won't help the economy since they're not in the workforce, and it'll result in more dead kids.

I'm opposed to dead kids, and I approved this message.

White and Nerdy
Rating
No. I got mine when I was sixteen and that was too young. I think the understanding of consequences in general is not developed enough at 14. There are exceptions, of course, but there are also special permits to accommodate those exceptions.

Kay
Rating
Wow I really don't think thats a good idea. I wouldn't trust a child, mature or not with a machine capable of killing themselves or others.

wachirasa
no way we should raise it to 18, it would cut down on Greenhouse gasses, there is no reason a High School kid should be driving to school

Schalk
Rating
Absolutely...NO !

Stuck in the middle of nowhere
Rating
Hardly, if anything it should be raised to about 20 years old.

CREG
no

iversonallyn
no, would you actually trust a 14 year old, think they are in middle school, they don't deserve to even get their permit, it is unfair if a middle schooler gets to take a permit when i am 16 now, so no we shouldn't let these kids start getting liscences and stuff like that

Lionheart ®
No. It should be 18 everywhere.

Kyle
It should be 18 in my opinion

cllem
i dont belive that a 14 yr old is mature enough to handle the responsibilty of driving. not because they are getting drunk or doing dumb stuff but i know at 14 i wouldn't have been able to deal with all the stuff requird to drive

Cozy
Rating
hell no what the ****?we should actually raise it to 30 or so after people are surely over their adolescnt and party phases.How bad could it possibly be that a 14 year old needs to drive.I mean really

pjbthree
Rating
I would prefer to raise it to 28

bogosity
Rating
no, kids are dumb. very dumb. 16 is a pretty good age for getting a license.

Michigan Fan
Rating
I actually think they should raise the age to 18. I think at 16, you're still in high school, still trying to impress everybody. I think you obviously will have more passengers at that age. Raise it to 18 and only some seniors would have cars. Of course if I were 15, I would be pissed if they moved it up. But looking back, I wasn't really ready to handle the responiblity of a motor vehicle at 16. Some are, but the majority aren't, in my opinion.

Spock (rhp)
Rating
no

learn to drink before you learn to drive -- it's safer that way.

Rachel R
Rating
go karts are on a track, not on the street. 14 is a little to young, if you can't have a job because you must be 16 at most jobs then why should you drive

Ms. Genovese
Hell no. They think there cool and then they try to show of and crash. Not saying older people dont. But they dont work for it (cus there to young to work) so they dont know the responsible part.

wizjp
Rating
The fact you don't know the difference between driving a go kart and a car says a lot.

14 is too young to be entrusted with the lives of people in a vehicle or traffic around them

Skywalker
You moron. Have you ever heard of someone being killed by a go cart that is going maybe 15 miles an hour top speed ?
Hell while you're at it lower it to 12. If you're old enough to see over the steering wheel you're old enough to drive.
Or how about making it even younger. If you can ride a bike you should be able to drive a car. After all it has twice as many wheel, right ?

Cabrõn
Rating
What're you nuts ? Most 14 year olds can't even tie their shoes
or have enough sense to wear a jacket in the cold. And you wanna put them out on the street with a 2,ooo Lb. missile, so they can fly down the road and kill people while they fidget with their iPods and pop zits in the rearview mirror !?!?
You are crazy !

spring26th
Rating
no it should be higher then it is....and you should only be able to drive up to a certain age!

Derek M
Rating
No. I know not all teenagers aren't out here drinking and I know not all teenagers our immature. Truth is, driving is a big responsibility when you think about it. You are putting your life and other people's lives in danger by simply passing someone on a two lane road. I think the driving age should be raised to 18 at least by then most teenagers have matured somewhat compared to 16. Why does a 14 year old need to drive anyway. Not like they have a job or anything. They don't need to go anywhere without their parents at that age anyway.

bob 18
it should be the age 14

bob16
thts bad idea 14 is gudd:D

Lonewolf1424
yup

Spirit125
Well, I believe that we should lower the permit to 14, and the license at 15. Teens are allowed to get work permits at the age of 14, but most don't for lack of transportation. With the required plus training, we can do it. It would also show your teen that you trust them enough to drive a vehicle. Not all teens are sex-crazed drunken idiots. I am a 14 year old female who has never done that, and I would like to start working, but my mom is too busy to take me anywhere. Lowering it would help teens in many ways. It would also help teens at a younger age to become more independent money-wise.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

The death penalty.....yes or no
my nan was murdered when i was a child..my mum and dad found her raped and strangled to death..i wish it was back..only if its the right person tho
,,,,,your opinions please
Additional D...

Why do people keep answering my questions?

Do women ever rape men?
I was watching Law and Order and there was a case of a group of women having raped a man. I just wondered if this had ever happened in real life? I suppose most men would be too embarrased to admit ...

Can I vote if I'm illegal?

Do you think we should introduce the Death penalty?
With the crowding of prisons coming into the public eye do you think we should give murderers and paedophiles an easy life in prison or should we have the death penalty for SERIOUS crimes that have ...

Another single mother was arrested today for stealing food from a grocery store for her 3 little children?
they carted the children off to a group home run by the state and put the mother in jail for 10 days how is this good for our country let the women have some ...

Can you be pro-life and pro-death penalty at the same time?
Or vise versa? Is it a contradiction?
Additional Details
So what I am hearing is there are exceptions to God’s commandment "Thou shall not kill". Interesting. Does that also ...

Who wishes Paris Hilton would just die?

Additional Details
Maybe the fact that I completly LOATHE her and her types wasn't clear, Seriously I wish she was brained while she was in jail. The only hope we have now is maybe ...

Myspace is Getting Sued? Should this happen?
A thirteen year old girl committed sicide because a boy turned her down on myspace, and it turns out it wasn't the boy who turned her down it was one of her friend's mothers who was ...

Whats your opinion on the death penalty?
r u for or against it and why?...

If I killed someone...?
For molesting me, should I go to jail?

I'm tlaking about revenge too.
Not defending myself....

Should Smoking Around Children Be Made Illegal...?

Can they make me pay for a baby when the woman choose to have it against my will?
am in here in england
Additional Details
i said no to not have it but she chose to have it agaist me ...

Smoking in the street should it be banned??
I walk children everywhere rather than take the car to be healthy but we often get lungfuls of cigarette smoke. do you think it should be banned unless in private property??
Additional Details

Can my husband do this?
There is a social gathering tomorrow that I do not want to go to, nor do I want my kids to go. I told my husband to go by himself and have fun. He says he wants to take the kids...I firmly said no. H...

What should be the punishment for this crime?
In your opinion please;
A man has been repeatedly beating and abusing his wife of 15 years, whilst drunk and out of control, one day he pushes his wife too far, she flips, grabs a kitchen knife ...

Teacher told my son I am not birth father? Should I seek legal representation?
So my 8 yr old son came home and asked his mother if I am his "birth father"? Mother asked where he heard this from and he explained that a teacher told him that I was his "step ...

What should be done to reduce number of prisoners in the prison?

How long can a 6 year old be left to look after itself and his younger brother?
I recently went on holiday with my new girlfriend, leaving my 6 year old to look after himself and his brother. He is very mature for his age, and told me that he could take the responsibility, but ...

The age of consent in mexico is 12, isnt it about time we lower our age of consent?

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Friday, October 24, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links