Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law & Ethics

To be served a summons and complaint do you have to sign for it or can it be left at the door?
Find answers to your legal question.

To be served a summons and complaint do you have to sign for it or can it be left at the door?

I was told i was served on a certain date but i wasn't. was also told it was served to me dierctly and didn't sign for it and use dmy liscense plate number as evidence as being served. Can they really use that as evidence for being served or dont they have to serve me in person and i have to sign that i got it?

mhmd
Rating
You don't have to sign for a summons and complaint. The person delivering it, can be a Marshal, Sheriff, Constable, or a Private Process Server. Usually (depending on the jurisdiction) they have to identify you by sight and either hand deliver the documents or leave them in a place where you can see them (people think it's like a game of tag where the paper has to touch them, but it doesn't. It can be left under their windshield wiper, dropped at their feet or at their doorstep.

Some states have rules allowing the documents to be delivered to a person living at the same address who is over the age of 16 or 18. Others require the server to go back to court once the address is verified and request an order for substituted service which allows the server to deliver the documents by either giving them to someone at the residence who is over a certain age or to post them conspicuously on the door.

There might be some unscrupulous people who claim to have served the papers when they just dropped them, and when they sign the return they commit perjury. Only the judge decides the if the respondent/defendant was served, and if they show up in court, then whether or not the service was proper is not an issue.

Greg P
Rating
If the process server tried multiple times and failed, they probably filled out an affidavit saying that you are willingly and intentionally avoiding being served. If they did, then leaving it on your door and using your license plate number (to show you were home at the time) would be proof enough.

evilattorney
Rating
Every jurisdiction has its own rules regarding valid service. Typically, if in-hand service cannot be made after a number of attempts, the sumons and complaint can be left at the residence. Some jurisdictions also require the papers to be mailed. You need to read the affidavit of service to see exactly what was done.

ipi4u
Rating
it depends on the summons. Who served you? If it's not a Sheriff deputy or police officer, how do they know if the car tag belongs to you? A general process server can't run a tag for identification. You can also allow others to drive your vehicle. Are they willing to swear in court that you were behind the wheel when you refused to sign the summons? I have a lot of problem with this scenario.
If you in deed did not receive the summons, you should report that to the clerk of the court and ask for a continuance. At any rate, whatever the summons is for, you should take care of it before court. Don't let things get so bogged down that you need to be in this situation again.
Good Luck

Pascha
Rating
The rules regarding service of summons and complaint vary according to jurisdiction.

Go to your local courthouse law library and read the rules for the particular court, i.e. local county rules and state rules.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

If i have gun and is licensed an about to get assaulted can shoot that person?
First of all i live in rural neighborhood and theirs a lot of gang violence and robberies. Can i with a license gun shoot that someone who jeopardizes my life....

How can I find out if a company has a class action lawsuit against it?
I need to know this, one of my warranty services for my car has a lot of negative stuff posted against it online, and I can see why. I am having a problem with this as well.
Thank you....

What are the rules for TANF and foodstamps here in Indiana?

If i wanted to change my name how would i do legally?

Is suicide illegal? If so then is there a penalty for attempted suicide?
Dont worry I'm not actually contemplating it.. just curious. Because I heard it is illegal.. which I find kind of silly as its ...

POLICIES OF A CARE SETTING?
1. Can you please tell me what policies you have in place here?

2. Why do you have these policies?

3. What policies work well and what donít work well?

4. ...

MY UNION SOLD ME OUT BEFOR MY ARBITRATION WHAT IS MY NEXT MOVE?
MY SON WAS INJURED AT DAY CARE I HAD TO TAKE HIM TO THE HOSPITAL AND I TURNED IN ALL PAPERWORK. I WAS FIRED FOR THE SUPERVISOR LYING ON ME WITHOUT KNOWING WHAT WAS GOING ON. I FOLLOWED MY UNION PROCED...

Complicated court question...?
I have to appear in court for a minor in possession charge for 3 grams of marijuana, there is a major catch though, I was not ticketed at the stop, I was mailed a petition to appear in court..? here ...

Should I get a lawyer in Virginia or Indiana?
I would like to switch my separation over to divorce... a couple months ago I moved to Virginia. The separation was filed in Indiana, where I was originally from. So do I have to get a lawyer in I...

What happens to US soldiers previously convicted of maltreatment of detainees at Abu Ghraib et al.?
With the recent release of memos that detail "enhanced interrogation techniques" I've been wondering what legal recourse soldiers who have been prosecuted for detainee abuse might have....

What legal steps can I or my attorney take to stop this?
a person from stalking, spying and general harrassment of a family?...

My Pockets refuse to stay in one place.?
They keep migrating around my pants. Does this mean I'm gay?...

Where can you not carry a concealed weapon in Pennsylvania?
I have read over the law and know I cannot bring it into federal buildings, schools and theaters. Now, the definitions of these might be trickily obscured, such as theater. Do they mean an actual ...

Whats the difference between IPR and moral rights?

What is the "Nordyke ruling?"?
I just saw this mentioned in the Hunting section. It must be fairly fresh, and have something to do with gun regulations. Can someone enlighten me? Thank you.
Additional Details
Flika-...

WILL - i am going travelling in 3 weeks and need to make a legal will - i ntend to use a DIY will pack?
it mentions that the people i choose to 'DEAL' with the will have to apply for a form before they can be granted authority to distribute the will to nearest and dearest - i have to ...

What are the current laws regarding illegal immigrants working with fake I.D.?
have a small business in Nevada. have recently become aware that a couple of longtime employees are actually using fake I.D. ie: S.S.#
i hear alot of talk about policies and changes ect., but ...

Does the Miranda decision impede police work?
Honest opinions only please!...

My mom was sentenced to 10 years in jail @ 35%. What does does that mean? She might only have to do 3.5 years?

Can my boss say this legally?
I called my old boss who had switched locations with someone else, and told them that my new boss was "tossing her under the bus" with various topics that I knew to be untrue. My old boss ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Friday, August 1, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links