Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law & Ethics

What exactly is involved with a background check when buying a gun?
Find answers to your legal question.

What exactly is involved with a background check when buying a gun?

Due to the Brady law, I know a background must be done on anyone trying to purchase a gun. What exactly will stop a person from being able to buy a gun, exactly? I'm not looking to murder the president for the love of Jodi Foster or anything like that, I'm simply trying to protect my family and home. So, out of curiousity, if a person was in a psych ward as a teenager nine years ago (as a minor), could a gun still be purchased today? I don't have any criminal charges against me.

Vern86
Rating
I don't think many, if any, states have passed any mental health background checks, only criminal activity, and only felonies (or open felonies) count.

David S
Just go down to a gun shop and buy what you want. If there is any problem with the background check, they will let you know what it is.

Or (in most states) you could just buy a used gun from a private seller with no background check.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

What action can I take?
Hello,

So I was recently let go from summer employment at a local franchised coffee shop (won't use the name of the company). When it happened I was given no notice, and no reason, ...

credit card agreement legal ? UK law?
how do i find out if my credit card agreement is is not legal ? it was agreed a before 2004?...

Can Anybody Be A Bounty Hunter Or Do You Need Certification?
I was just wondering...

does it still work like the Old Western days when any bloke who could read a wanted poster can track down and drag a fugitive to the police station (dead or alive) ...

Is leaving the store with out paying an Undocumented Sale?
If an illegal immigrant is an undocumented worker then isn't leaving the store with out a receipt an Undocumented Sale?...

Can Obama be trusted (if he cannot even furnish non-conflicting data about his origins or other background)?
Even James Carvelle, the famous Democrat Party strategist, advised Obama in the strongest possible terms to release certain data to counter-act the "Birther's" assertions as they are ...

Please Do I have Rights as a EMPLOYEE!? 10 points?
Im a sales associate.
I am constantly being yelled at in front of customers.
I called in sick last Thursday. Ive been there for almost a year and that was the first time I called off, only ...

Second DUI charge in 5 years with a BAC of .14 in Orange County, CA.?
A friend of mine just had this happen on the Newport Beach peninsula. Never intelligent thing to drink and drive - I do not advocate - I'm only seeking advice from others whom had to deal with ...

i hit a parked car and drove away, now i get a call about it?
okay so 2 weeks ago i hit a parked car in the middle of the road. i got out of my vehicle, checked to see if there were any damages, and they weren't THAT bad, so I just drove off. now 2 weeks ...

If you wrote to someone in prison & became friends with them would you consider visiting them?
If you wrote to someone in prison & over time you two became friends would you consider visiting them in person? Why or why not?

TIA...

Will the record of my arrest be visible to police and background check?
I got my case dismissed on Tuesday for a misdeameanour. I wasn't present in court but had a lawyer representing me. The act and hearing took place in the US but my home country is in the UK. The ...

What is the cheapest health insurance for a young married couple (22 yrs of age) in TN?

My parents criminal record?
Hello, I am running into an issue. I want to work as someone with an important position in the government when I am older. Right now I have a 5.0 gpa in high school, no criminal record, and am ...

Under what Nevada law can a person remain anonymous during a complaint?
I'm just wondering, because someone questioned it and I wanted to know as well.
Additional Details
Like for example in an HOA a homeowner submits a written complaint regarding ...

Felony Pardon, Name Change?
I had a felony at one time and a couple of years ago I got a pardon and they expunged my conviction. I am now thinking of changing my first name so that I can fully move on with my life and not worry ...

was there a legal basis for the creation of israel?
I know the General assembly voted as a majority recommending the UNSCOP recommendations. And that Israel Unilaterally declared independence, annexing 70% of palestinan owned land to form israel.

To take the bar exam, do you need credited courses, or can you teach yourself law and try to take it?

How do I prevent my kids from seeing their dying brother?
I have three children, aged 24, 15 and 12. The 15 and 12 year old live with me and their mother. My wife and I made the decision to disown our son after he was arrested and convicted for possession ...

I want to own a real gun but in the UK you're not able to buy them.?
Is it legal to buy one in the USA and have it shipped over here, and would they ship a gun to the UK?

I'm not sure what the laws are about gun ownership in the UK.

It ...

Can you sue a state for harassment?
Two and a half years ago, we paid the state of Virginia $7600 in state taxes ($7370 through payroll deduction and the remaining $230 through Liberty Tax who does our returns). We got a notice from ...

How can I gain partial custody of my son?
The mother of my son will do anything in her power to limit me to just supervised visitation rights with my 8 month old son. She wont even let me drive him in a car. I need more than that. Right now, ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Friday, September 19, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links