Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law & Ethics

What happens if a person doesn't show up to court?
Find answers to your legal question.

What happens if a person doesn't show up to court?

What happens if a person doesn't show up to a civil case in district court? Does the judge rule in favor of the person who DID show?
Additional Details
Nick: Will I lose or will the person who doesn't show lose?

Teekno
Rating
No warrant will be issued.

The court will enter what's called a "summary judgment" which means that the defendant was not present to refute the claim, and the case is decided in favor of the plaintiff.

SCOTT M
Rating
The judge will usually rule in favor of the person who showed up and cite the one who didn't show up for contempt.

DukeofDixie
they lose automatically******

Nick Friggin'
Rating
You'll lose, and in MOST cases no warrant is issued. There isn't a reason in civil court to pursue the defendant unless it's over certain things. Child support, posessed property...if they HAVE to come after you for whatever is in dispute, they might issue a warrant. But it' usually a last resort.

chillin
Rating
yes most likely, and also a warrant will prob be issued for the person who didnt show

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Law Student Gift Ideas?
My Mother got accepted into law school. For Mothers day I wanted to get her some stuff about law or being a law student. Maybe some custom made shirts or something. However I need ideas. I've ...

I have a project I have to do in school. What amendment would the AIG bonuses fall under in the Bill of Rights?

Are Potato Cannons or Spud Guns legal in the state of Illinois?

What kind of lawyer would you need to fight the school system?

How can my brother get full custody of my nephew?
My nephew is 4 months old and I look after him mostly (I'm 15) and my brother helps when he's not working (he works very long hours). My nephew's mum left him when he was 2 weeks old ...

What is it called when a case is closed but can be reopened when new evidence is found.?
it has intials its like 3 letters i think its n.f.l something or idk i forgot
please help. thanks....

Why is marijuana illegal?
if the gov. sold marijuana, they could make a shank-load of money, plus its on equal terms with cigs when it comes to how bad it is.
just make 19+ and bam there u go :)...

Does this woman deserve to go to jail?
Does this woman deserve to go to jail?

She is a hardworking woman who works as a dental orthadoxist at a dental company and she is a well respected woman in the community but she ...

Naked Pics of Myself on the Internet?
Ok, here's the story...I dated this guy for 5 years. During that time, I wasn't making the best decisions and let him take nude photos of me. It was completely based on trust and I thought ...

Is it legal to get a letter from the court stating you have court the next day with no notice?
I own a small painting company. I am being sued by a customer who doesn't know what she wants. She filled with the magistrate on March 11,2009 the it was continued again. I was never informed of ...

Re-Legalizing Cannabis and Hemp appears to be a National Security/Economy issue impacting immigration? Yes/No?
http://washingtontimes.c
Let's stop killing people for no good reason

http://www.latimes.com/n
http://www....

Legal advice for consent/relinquishment for adoption?
My name is on my son's birth certificate as the father. I do not have custody of him at this time. The guardian of my son wants me to sign papers so that she can adopt him. I want my son to come ...

PLEASE ANSWER....I got assaulted?
I got in a traffic accident today (girl hit me from the back). I was asking for her insurance information and she started yelling at me. We cursed at each other back and forth and than she came to my ...

Sry..I don't live in Us and i don't know what is 'Copyright © 2009 All Rights Reserved' what is?

Exactly what crime is this?
Suppose someone through the media openly called for the murder of another individual (by perpetrators to whom he is unconnected). What crime is this? Would the penalty be more severe if he called for ...

What is the technology that allows pirating to occur?

Will weed ever be legal in the u.s.??? im tired of hiding and smoking?
freaking obama, he was actually FOR legalization of marijuana before he was president,but now that he IS prez he's against it....WTF!!! he basically bribed us
Additional Details

Can cops randomly show up at my house to check if im smoking weed??uhh plzz read details?
im 16 years old, i live in new york, here's the thing, i got a fine of 25$ for possession of a little weed, and the officer took my address,is it possible that they can just show up at my house ...

What happens if u get caught by the cops on the streets high without any weed, can u get a penalty?
what happens if u get caught by the cops on the streets while your high but u dont have any weed on you, can u get a penalty??
Additional Details
btw i live in new york and im 16........O...

What powers does the local court have?
i can only find one which is the limit of money they can award in a civi case please tell me if u dnt noe pls dnt answer ... ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Friday, October 31, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links