Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law & Ethics

What happens if you get caught driving on suspended license?
Find answers to your legal question.

What happens if you get caught driving on suspended license?

I live in California and I had my driver license suspended for 30 days, I really need to drive to work and other places though, do you know what citations will be if you get caught, do they tow the car and for how long if they do,and what kind of tickets you can get, are they gonna suspend it for even longer?Let me know only if you know. Any info appreciated.

mikeysco
(trying to figure out why you were suspended for 30 days...)

If you are stopped driving while your license is suspended, a number of things can happen:

Your car can be towed (perhaps even impounded).
You can get a ticket worth a few bucks to several hundred.
You can be physically arrested and booked into jail.

Can't give you any better idea what you might be facing without knowing why you're suspended. There are a bunch of different reasons for someone's license to be suspended and each of them carries a different surprise for you when you're caught doing what you shouldn't be doing.

I'm guessing a judge suspended you while you were in court? I can't think of any way DMV would have suspended you just for 30 days. Maybe you got arrested for DUI? If so, you better read your paperwork a little closer...you're valid for 30 days, then you're suspended for at least four months.

Post more information and you can get a better answer.

tanker
Rating
most places will give you a permit to drive to work

Eyez
I have never been in this situation but a good friend of mine is presently dealing with this. She did drive on a suspended license and they towed her car, it stayed in tow until her husband paid to get it out and showed proof of insurance and registration which luckily, they had.
I understand your Catch 22 situation, she is in the same boat, she HAS to drive to get to work, take her daughter to school, etc. (She originally got her license suspended for non-payment of a 10 mph over the speed limit ticket) now not only can she not drive, she is a target for the policemen who know she does not have a license so she cannot go anywhere. After re-offending, they suspended her license for 5 years instead of one for geting caught driving on a suspension.
I feel for you, I really do, please try not to drive becuse the consequences are going to be even worse. You can make the 30 days, but years is another thing, it is a vicious circle.

amulek1978
Rating
you will get a huge fine, get put in jail, and have your car impounded. trust me its not worth it. you will spend more money on citation, bail, and getting your car out of the impound than you want. Best bet is to take the bus or taxi or find someone to haul you to work. Try carpooling with someone or offer gas money to friends or family to take you.

heatherbee
Rating
You get to go to the Sheriff's Motel, courtesy of the county.

A Designer
If you have access to a computer, go to the DMV website and look it up. Or, go to the web-site of your local police. They might have it there.

I'm pretty sure you get put in jail, but I don't know how long. I don't know the WHY regarding your license suspension... but I can't resist the need to say this: if you had so many important places to go, and need your car THAT bad, you should have been on top of your game in the first place and thought of that before you did whatever it was you did that caused your license to be suspended. Don't compound it now with another stupid decision that could land you in jail or having to pay a grip of money in fines for violating the law.

As for your car being towed, I think that's a municipality thing... so, LA may be different than SF... you should look into that yourself.

Whatever the case, good luck.... and buy a bus pass.

billybetters2
Rating
Try and get a limited work only license. If they catch you driving without they can arrest you, can impound or even seize the vechicle. Probably will extend the time without a license, a fine and jail time.

All the way around, not worth it. Find another way.

Look me over, I'm the Capm
you'll get your license revoked. it happened to a buddy of mine. i had to drive him to work for a month. pain in the ***, i tells you!

jj
Try and be more careful, responsible and you wouldn't have to ask this. Don't be a moron, you have to live up to some responsibility. Sorry about the moron, but think about it, really think about what you just asked? You had to have your driver's license suspended for some good reason. And you had to pay the price for the unresponsibilities. Would you rather be in a situation where you could kill someone and live with this on your conscience or worse yet land in prison for a long period of time. Think think think! Don't do what you did ever again, because you were at the wheel, not anybody else. Quit thinking only of yourself, think of the what if's. Buy a bicycle like thousands of other people do, when they can't afford a car, or get into bad situations like you have now. It is no one else's fault but yours. Get your car out of tow as soon as possible. It's gonna cost you mucho if you don't.

?
Rating
fines or jail or both

cantcu
Oh you will get suspended. I hope you weren't driving under revocation for DUI!

You can get your car back but you have to pay for the towing and storage! Bring a driver with you!!

Most places won't give you a work license if you were caught driving without one. The time to do that was when you were suspended!

keni
9 months in jail, in the UK. quite right too, no licence = no insurance

Theresa
Suspend for longer, higher insurance rates, car impounded, and (if they feel like it) the officer can arrest you. they can hold your car until you bring a properly licensed person to drive it.

Logan_brett
Im not too sure, U could have a look at the transport companies website or something, or speak to the local police.

it is different in every country

PETE A
you should have told the judge you need to get to work usually they give you a conditional which lets you go to and from work only

Oriental Legend
U die.People cry.U lose everything.

krisjb1
Why don't you just live with your crime and take your punishment like an adult? You did the crime now do the time.
Didn't you know you had to "drive to work and go other places" before you broke the law?

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Should all drugs be legalised?
I think they should be for many reasons. I believe that many politicians share my belief but they are too scared to put this forward because the vast majority of voters would simply vote against them ...

If you support Gun Control, how would you suggest taking guns away from gang members?
I am strongly opposed to gun control, mainly because, it does not apply to criminals, such as gang members, burglars, bank robbers, terrorists, and other evil people.
So before you take my gun ...

Do you think 21 is an appropriate legal age limit for drinking? Why or why not?
And, if not, what age do you think would be appropriate?
Additional Details
Just curious about opinions. That's all. ?...

Legally how many times do you have to ask someone to stop texting you before it's harressment??

Do you think its right for a woman to keep raising her baby-daddy's child support.?
My friends is a good daddy he always takes his child when he is supposed to, buys her things acts like a daddy should,but him and his baby momma can't get along. His baby momma is a bi*ch. He is ...

If slavery was "right" seventy years ago, but "wrong" now...does right and wrong exist?
Is "right" and "wrong" a figment of our imaginations?
Additional Details
I know slavery ended more than 70 years ago in America...but that doesnt mean people did not ...

Should there be a law making English the official language?....?
of the United States, and should it be strictly enforced?

. .......... yes/no, why/why not...
Additional Details
uhh....... no, but our founding fathers were.. are they ...

I sold an item for cash. There was no bill of sale issued. Now buyer wants money back.?
The item in question was a musical instrument I had advertised online. Buyer was happy with the item when they viewed it & immediately paid me cash for it. There was no Bill of Sale asked for or ...

Is it against the law to called a black man and women the N word?
like if I am walking down the street and I call a black man a Nggr in front of a cop can I be arrested for racial assault with a racial remark?

if so what has happened to freedom of ...

Does a child need a passport?
Does a one year old need a passport to travel out of state/ country? If so how much do they run. Many are saying their are new laws out there that require a passport to travel. Im trying to help out ...

If the ACLU is so terrible then why are they allowed to operate in the USA?

In the U.S. how is it possible that..................?
If I remember correctly, the U.S. has a Constitution and "common law" system. The Supreme Court of The U.S. hears cases (only) when the Constitutional Laws are "in question".

I'm with a temp agency and recently let go from a position. After 3 background checks, anything I can do?
They said my background wasn't qualified now, I've been there 19 mnths. and I'm considered 1 of the best workers there. How can they just get away with that. Shouldn't they have ...

New Gun Laws Needed?
Do you think these sociopathic teenagers shooting up their schools would reconsider knowing that a new law would charge their parents with murder since they are the gun owners? Those guns didn't ...

Why aren't you in a union?
I am amazed at the number of people on this forum who are asking employment related questions. A lot of them are regarding employers acting unlawfully. Unionised workplaces are safer, less ...

What are the Consequences Of Not complying with laws?

My dog bit someone's finger through the letter box,now im being sued?
Hi.

A policeman was delivering leaflets in our area and put one through our letter box.Our 8 year old border collie nipped his finger.He called round 3 days later and said that if we ...

Should the U.S. government create a DNA fingerprint database of all citizens at birth?
I need your opion on this question so i can use it in a dabate at school so whther your pro or con please state your opion?...

Is it legal for people under 18 to smoke cigarettes?
I know it sounds stupid but is it true that it is only illegal for minors to buy cigarettes, but they are free to smoke them?...

How do I legally punish someone to stole from me?
I have my own business. Someone whom was in a position of thrust embezzeled money from my company. Due to the complexity of the situation the police believe it is not a criminal matter but a civil ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Tuesday, July 29, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links