Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law & Ethics

What is gained by giving someone more than 1 life sentence for a crime...?
Find answers to your legal question.

What is gained by giving someone more than 1 life sentence for a crime...?

Fact is, there only gonna serve 1 life, so do they get the rest off for good behavior? ? Who really benefits from excessive assignments of punishment? Does a judge or lawyer somewhere out there get a hefty bonus by the ammount of punishment they grant/get approved?

I say, "Let the punishment fit the crime, however, lets keep it real!"

cyanne2ak
Actually, the reason that is done it hold off the convict's eligibility for parole. If there is one life sentence, they could be eligible for parole in say, 10 years. But with two, the time runs consecutive, so they won't be eligible for parole for 20 years. Basically, it's a way to make sure they stay behind bars for a good, long time.
Also, you see 2 life sentences when the person has committed two, separate crimes. Say, murder and assault with a deadly weapon (no brainer, but.....). It just makes sure they stay in jail. Perhaps they get the murder conviction overturned. Well, they'll still be in jail on the other life sentence for whatever the other crime was, perhaps rape.

Westhill
Rating
If one of the convictions is overturned, the other(s) will still keep them in prison. Also, having more than 1 life sentence will adversely affect their ability to be paroled.

Gemma
Rating
"Life" is a relative term. The sentence is not usually until they die, it just means for a great span of their natural life. Generally, if someone is serving more than one life sentence, there is no chance of parole. You can be paroled from one life sentence.

Bill in Kansas
Actually it is done to prevent the chance of parole on a serious crime. It has nothing to do with bonuses.

You sound a little angry. If a member of your family was the victim of a serious crime you would probably want to make sure the offender stayed behind bars

witchiebunny
Rating
A life sentence isn't really like "life" literally, it's 70 years or so. So if a person is sentenced at 30, and they get two consecutive life sentences, then if they're still alive at 100 they begin their second life sentence.

It's also a way to impart the seriousness/heinousness of the particular crime on the convicted.

happygael
Rating
consecutive life terms keep criminals off the street forever. Nowadays a single life term might let the criminal out after 10-15 years. consecutive sentence will double the time he has to serve. which is good for the people on the outside who coud easily become his victims.

ian
Rating
It's a complicated situation and i'am no lawyer but here is my understanding.

If you are serving a life sentance there is a chance you will actually get out early for good behavier or what not. with the extra life sentance if insures that they will actually spend the rest of their life in jail with no chance of early parol.

Once again this is just my understanding and i could be wrong.

mammon
I wondered about this in American law. In the UK life usually means a term of 15-20 years. I would presume that it it to make sure that they NEVER get out.

coragryph
The sentences are set by the legislature. The judge can only impose sentences within the range set by the legislature.

But there is a valid reason. Say one of the convictions is overturned on a technicality, but the others remain valid. In that case, the multiple concurrent sentences mean the convict stays in jail.

REnate
Rating
So, they cannot get parole.

a_man_could_stand
What if one sentence is overturned due to new evidence? Would you then assume that a judge could just reinstate a previously revoked sentence on the grounds of "keeping it real?"

What is gained is consistency, without which law would be rendered arbitrary and therefore meaninless in society...

smcgilli
a "life" sentence is really more like 20 years.

scottyurb
A life-term, unless attached to a clause of no chance for parole is defined as a twenty year term or other number of years depending on the State statute. That's why.

a kinder, gentler me
I say "Give them what they deserve!"

So you think a 90 year-old serial killer should serve only five years in prison, instead of getting 'life'?

just me #1
Rating
i think it gives the victims family some sort of satisfaction. if a person is guilty of killing 2 people but gets 1 life sentance.... the other vics family may feel that their loved ones life was less important than the other ~ thats my thought anyway.

Juleette
Rating
maybe its a ploy to get more government spending to take care of them personally anything do to children should be instant death

Norm DeGuere
Rating
Because Life isn't always life. This is an idiotic question. Multiple sentences also allow for some sense of justice.

pablo_asawa
this just makes the cheese more binding

it puts the ice cream on the apple pie

this_takes_awhile
Rating
If you are getting more than one life sentence, it should be atoumatic death penalty.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Gordan Brown getting tough on 16-17 yr olds with knives on them?
Ive just heard on TV that one of the reasons kids have knives on them is because they are afraid, whats your view, to me that seems stupid, they have knives on them to feel big and cause trouble. The ...

If you could make anything legal or illegal what would it be?
If you had the power to make something legal that isn't what would it be? How about if you could make something illegal that is currently legal? And why?...

I met an ugly guy,but when I found out he was VERYrich,it made him look more attractive to me . Is this wrong?
I had no intention of dating him til I found out he owned gold and diamond mines. (Yes it's true)

Am I wrong to want him more after I found out he has $$$...

What do you think of these stupid UK laws?
1. It is illegal to die in the Houses of Parliament
2. It is an act of treason to place a postage stamp bearing the British king or queen's image upside-down
3. It is illegal for a ...

Is it legal to evict only one tenant from an apartment?
My sister got mad and talked our landlords into evicting ONLY me from our apartment for my boyfriend being there (he doesn't even live there; these are false allegations).

Is this ...

Are my parents allowed to take my car away from me, it's mine?
This car is mine, my name is on the title and so is my grandma's name.

My dad has said stuff like he will never let me have it back, not going to support me anymore, and many other ...

Should it be illegal to:?
Should it be illegal to smoke in a car with kids in it?
Why or why not?

There is a petition to get a law voted upon, in Ohio making it illegal to smoke with kids in the car. It is ...

What do u think about abortion?
Should we legalize it? Is it moral?
Additional Details
hey I'm just asking this thing out for a survey..please don't fight out guys..=)...

Would I be violating any federal, state or local laws if I did the following?
The tax appraiser for my county has aerial maps attached to their website, where one can view their property as it's seen from the air. I believe they update these photos every few years, ...

I have been robbed!!!?
the other day i woke up to find that everything in my house was stolen and replaced with an exact replica.
what should i do?...

How do you go about grassing up a dug dealer/user?
my next door neighbour has spread lies to my landlord telling him that the house in a state. im very houseproud and shes spreading lies because she sees we spend time as a family and all she looks ...

Because the UPS truck driver carelessly ran over my elderly dog in MY PRIVATE driveway, is UPS liable?
He was also afflicted with aurthritis and was recovering from a leg injury. The guy was driving like your typical UPS driver this time of year. It was in a confined space and he hit him as soon as he ...

Are smokers really that bad? (Or SMOKERS vs CARNIVORES.)?
I just came across a question from "returnofkarlos", asking "Will the smoking ban in England make you kick the habit?".

"elaine692981" commented:
".....

Would you say, that Abortion Doctors, are Serial Killers?
Many people do not think that killing babies is a crime...It's funny to me, that if they didn't abort them, then they would go on to grow up and be adults.
That being said...
W...

Do you think that pregnant women found guilty of crimes should be executed?

What do i do with a fake £20 note?
I went to sainsburys last night and when i went to pay i took out a £20 note and i handed it too the cashier.
She looked at it and said im sorry but i cant accept this because its fake.
Soo ...

Do u think Israel was wrong for bombing Lebanon,which hosts terrorists?

Now theres the new smoking law, is it ilegal to smoke around your own children in your own home?

Should it be illegal to own or fly the confererate flag in America?
It is illegal to burn the American flag, because that amounts to a desecration. That is according to many politicians. By that same logic, shouldn't the possession of a confederate flag be ...

Should I have reported this incident, or ignored it (as I did)?
While shopping at Walmart, I noticed a Mexican family (two adult men and a small child) while paying the cashier had the child seated on the trolley. The child reached out of the trolley to pick one ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Monday, September 1, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links