Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law & Ethics

What is the law regarding pay when working christmas eve?
Find answers to your legal question.

What is the law regarding pay when working christmas eve?

am sure if u work christmas eve past a certain time u are supposed to be paid more?
Additional Details
i know its not a bank hol - just thought u got paid extra if u worked past a certain time that day! obv not- oh well -

labken1817
There is no Federal law that requires an employer to provide time off, paid or otherwise, to employees on nationally recognized holidays. An employer is only required to pay hourly employees for time actually worked. An employer is obligated to provide reasonable accommodation for the religious practices of its employees, unless it can show that the accommodation would result in undue hardship for its business.

one_for_the_doctor
no laws regarding pay on any day.
other than the minimum wage law.

elysialaw
Rating
There are no regulations that I am aware of that require any compensation for working christmas eve. Well aside from the hours you work.

Pleasant Peter Perkins
Rating
I'm afraid not. In fact there is no legal provision to be paid more for any holiday in the UK.

All additional payments are subject to 'local agreement'.

You should also remember that Christmas eve is not a public holiday...it is a religious festival.

grips
Rating
In the U.S. same as any other day and law------you must be paid at least minimum wage and if you actually work more than 40 hours in that week you have to get time and a half for all hours over 40. Anything over that is because of the generousity of your employer.

wizjp
Strictly HR policy. NO US Law

ReBecca_Oraya
Rating
It's not exactly a holiday, so sadly it's employer discretion. Most employers these days tend to do time and a half. Though they are under no obligation.

GAVIN E
Rating
The only way Chrsitmas Eve would result in more pay than a normal day, would be if it fell on a Sunday. That would only be the case if your company gave you extra pay for sunday hours.

Christmas eve is not a Bank Holiday.

The Thing
No law in the US...your employer may have a policy.

Window
Rating
Christmas Eve isn't the holiday it's Christmas Day. I don't think you will get any overtime or holiday pay if you work it.

art v
It depends on your state law. It appears most states have set their labor laws to the minimum that federal law requires. If your not union, have a MOU with your employer, and aren't working over 40 that week, it's straight time.

focus
Rating
Unfortunately there is no law, other than the minimum wage law, about pay for any working hours or days. So it depends on your contract as to what your employer should be paying you.

supashopper
Rating
There are no laws regarding pay on public holidays (and as Christmas Eve is a normal working day anyway, not a holiday, I assume you mean Christmas Day). As far as public holidays go, the vast majority of employers offer extra pay (such as double time or time and a half) or time off in lieu which can be usually be taken when the employee chooses (eg. added to holidays or weekends), but this is a gesture, not an entitlement. Bank Holidays in the UK are just days when banks are permitted to close, and technically that is all they are.

malmaylin
you put out a stocking and wait for the surprise on Xmas day

mad keith
its just another day

bob
it is not an official bank holiday so if your boss is the traditional scrooge then expect to be paid flat rate. sorry.

andy g
it is not an official bank holiday so if your boss is the traditional scrooge then expect to be paid flat rate. sorry.

Vivi
Well, Christmas eve is not a bank holiday so your employer is under no obligation to pay you more. If you work past midnight (Christmas day) it is then a bank holiday.

RomeoMike
Any work performed after the first eight hours of your shift is at overtime rate of time and a half. Otherwise if the terms of your employment don't spell out that you have paid holidays and states what qualifies as a holiday then you are paid at standard hourly rate.

phatty
Rating
If you work over the night into Christmas day then you should be payed extra for the time in Christmas day but nothing for Christmas eve

NORMAN W
Rating
The law in England and Wales is that if you start work on Christmas Eve and your shift carries on into Christmas Day you will be paid double time for the whole time you work.

If however your shift does not carry on into Christmas Day, you will be paid for working a normal day. .

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

What Do You Guys Think Of Guantanamo Bay? Should It Be Closed Down?
Former U.S. Secretary of State Colin Powell said on Sunday the U.S. military prison at Guantanamo Bay for foreign terrorism suspects should be immediately closed and its inmates moved to the United S...

What are your thoughts on "separation of church and state"?
Notice I haven't given you mine so don't assume to know anything about how I think .
Additional Details
I never mentioned the constitution....

I have no idea why anybody is worried about Sharia law in Britain?
http://www.dailymail.co.
see its all sorted
what do you think can this only be good in the long run?
A...

Is the real reason for NOT posting the 10 Commandments at our court house's because?
Thou shalt Not Lie
Thou shalt Not Steal
Thou shalt Not Commit Adultery

Would make a hostile work environment for Lawyers, Judges and Politicians?...

One of my girlfriends friends put salt in my sugar bowl, can i get her done with attempted murder ?

Is it true you can be arrested for buying an OXO cube, if you believe it is Cannabis resin?

Additional Details
This is not from personal experience but just something I've heard over the years!...

Is paris Hilton getting to harsh of treatment?
I have a friend that got caught about 3 times with a suspended license and never had to do any jail time....they only revoked his license for 3 years.....why is she getting such harsh treatment?Is ...

What qualifications do you need to be a lawyer?
I am thinking of becoming a lawyer and i would like to know what qualifications you need.
please help
lol
:)

Break time in 12 hour shift??
my work is starting on a 12 hour shift basis which is fine but im not sure if the breaks are very fair, the manager has stated that we will be able to take 4 15 min breaks throughout the day so in ...

Gun Control?
What are your thoughts on gun control and the seemingly endless school shootings? Would have gun control make a difference?...

Should there be a return to corporal punishment in schools and the birch for young offenders?
The youth of today have no respect for anything or anybody and I think it is because they fear no punishment in a country ruined by 50 years of liberalism.
I also think the police should also be ...

Legalise Drugs say the police?
What is he smoking? Now if he said outlaw drugs and seriously cracks down on hard drugs he would get my vote

This idiot even wants Herion on the NHS, where will he stop? will you be able ...

Do you think Hitler had a few good ideas? Or was he really such a wicked dude as peeps kepp saying?

Should Incest be legally allowed?

Additional Details
I AM AGAINST IT, JUST WONDERED WHETHER ANYONE THINK ITS OK BECAUSE A LOT OF COUNTRY'S ARE LEGALIZING IT...

Do you think that President Bush and his war planners should be put up on war crime charges, and jailed?

In the UK: What will happen if you don't pay your water rates?
Will they cut off your water supply? as water is necessary for hygiene purpose.(toilet...)...

Is it morally/ethnically wrong to date someone who shares your last name?
Say you don't think that they have close family ties to you, or maybe they do. Would society look down, condemn you for wanting to date that person? If you were to marry, it would be like ...

Have you ever broken the law?

Pro-Choice and Pro-Life?
Someone posted a question earlier stating that conservatives were hypocritical b/c they were Pro-Life but Pro-War. Well, I've always thought it was hypocritical for liberals to fight harder for ...

Can a Notary Public refuse to notarize certain types of documents?
I'm just wondering, as a notary public, would I be able to limit the types of documents that I want to notarize?

For example, if someone comes in and wants me to notarize a deed of ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Thursday, October 30, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links