Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law & Ethics

What is the legal age a child can leave home without their parents permission?
Find answers to your legal question.

What is the legal age a child can leave home without their parents permission?

B Z

Mandy
Rating
This depends on the state or province. Usually it is 16. In Canada, you can't kick them out until 18, but they can leave at 16 and there is nothing you can legally do about it.

bugaboo
Rating
Most think 18.

A growing number are still living with parents beyond 30.
I have a tent on stand by for that eventuality..

haley m
18 with out permission is the u.s i was so happy when i turned 18 :-]

vospire s
legally in the US you are the responsibility of your parents till 18 unless you get emancipated earlier.

stardancegal
Rating
At 12 they are allowed to stay home alone...
Leaving home... w/o permission... would be 16.

st.abbs
Rating
16 in the u.k

The Enlightened On3
Rating
You Have to be at least 73 years old... by then your parents wont be around then u can have fun :] Lol

Just_gone
You can apply to a court to be "emancipated" if you are 16, and can prove that you can support and care for yourself. Essentially you are proving that you are an adult, and will not go on welfare.
Get a Big Brother or Big Sister, or a "Guardian ad Litem," which means representative before the court. Speak with DYS, or to people at the Boys and Girls Club.

Carolina
18 without permission
16 with permission

xxmaryjane04xx
Rating
16 however difficult to get a job that can pay for rent and private landlords are apprehensive to renting out to an under 18 as they are tarred with the same sterotypicalimage of wild party throwing yobs. Moreover if anything happened to the house you are your parents responsibilty still as legally you are still a child.

Smoochy Poochy
16 in the UK

robinwhale
Rating
In the UK

I believe that you can leave home at 15 - as long as you have a safe and secure place to go with a responsible adult in attendance.

At 16 you can just walk into the void ....

Don't quote me on this but a few years ago this was the situation.

Big River
UK

My 14 year old daughter decided to leave home without telling me and moved into the house of a lady who was of dubious charachter.

I phoned the police and told them that my daughter ( a minor) had done this and I was going to go up to this lady's house and get my daughter to come home.

I was told by the police that if I went to the house and caused a disturbance, I would be prosecuted.

I asked the police what the answer was and they said there wasn't one. If she is safe and well then there is nothing I can do about it.

Charming.

Robert L
Rating
It depends on what state you live in. Check your local laws.

frankturk50
Rating
In the UK it is 16years old.You dont need parents consent.

jamand
Rating
16 yrs with permission - 18 without in UK - although no-one seems to care anyway

★Greed★
Rating
16 to 23 depending where you live...

alesul
It depends in withch country you are.I am in Romania, and the age is 18. In us it's 21. You can leave without them stopping you, but you must anounce.If you dont say nothing they can report you to the police, or think bad things(like beeing kidnaped).

larry B
eighteen.

captainsay2000
Rating
it depends where you live,but stay home kid

Sir Basil Cheese Wrench III
With parental consent it is 16, but with the cost of buying property these days most parents cant shift their kids out until at least 27

JustMe
Rating
You can legally emancipate at 16, provided you can support yourself 100%.

EMMA
16 years old i think. I know you can get married at 16 without your parents permission

burning brightly
Rating
16 years providing they can show theym can and are supporting themselves money wise.~~

cannonball
Rating
in most states it is 12, as long as you are going to another guardian, otherwise I think it is considered 18 as an adult, but the TRUE guardian still can have a say, to same degree, What is the problem, that will make the difference!

ballarinababyz
It depends on where you are located, if in Australia try the website below!

Nutsack

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Is it legal to grow marijuana?

Should we get rid of all the religious references in American government?
Im talking about the pledge of allegence, money, etc. Should we get rid of it or is it too much trouble?...

Yes or no: Repeat offending paedophiles in the UK should be surgically castrated.?

What do you think about being pro-choice on abortion?
doesn't being pro-choice mean that you do not have to LIKE abortion or think it's ethical, but you want to give women their choice?...

Why don't illegal immigrants have respect for our laws?
Don't say they want a better life--they can build up their own country. We passed NAFTA--and they have lots of oil. So what's the excuse for coming here?...

Who thinks the death sentence should be re introduced for guilty peadophiles?

How do you feel knowing that the employee only earned 5 pence an hour, making your clothes?

Can my liscense be suspended because of this?
I got a problem guys, mostly caused by my stupidity. Last Friday on Fort Carson while i was at drill I got pulled over for doin 43 in a 30. Four point ticket. just pay the fine, and I'm good to ...

If one of your children committed a heinous crime, would you as a parent, be able to forgive them?
I am talking the most serious crimes. Murder, torture, etc.
Would you support them or make sure they get thrown in jail.

This is a theoretical question, so don't get on my back ...

Have you changed your views on abortion?
I've heard that women tend to be pro-life till they (or a close friend) slips up and actually needs one themselves.
Additional Details
P. S. - To all men, I don't care what you ...

Do you think marijuana should be legal ?

Should abortion be illigal? why?

Does a government have the right to tell its people what they can and can't do in the bedroom?
As long as it's consensual and doesn't cause harm to either person, does the government have any right to tell people what they can and can't do in the privacy of their own bedrooms, ...

To Kill or not to Kill?
I was just thinking recently that If there where no laws preventing me from killing someone, I would probably kill people, yet some of my friends say they would not as they would feel bad or because ...

If I belted a cop in the face with a 2x4, should I be concerned about possible repercussions?

Should i sue my former boss? i was only trying to do my job!!!?
i was waitressing at Denny's. my boss told me to be polite and try to suggestive sell. a obese young lady sat at my table...(she couldn't squeeze in a booth!!) any hoo...she ordered a ...

Can a Wal*Mart security gaurd ask you to leave "his" store because you and a friend got into an arguement?
My gf and I got into an arguement at wal mart and I got steamed and started walking away. Well my gf started to grab and pull me around to talk to me but I wouldn't. Finally she jumped in front ...

Should we punish our criminals by sending them to Africa?
Ok, it seems like a good idea, get the African people to build prisions, provide jobs for the prisons and our goverment would pay for that! Solving some problems in Africa and in our own country too, ...

If the father wants abortion, but the mother says no, should he be absolved of any responsibility?

The death penalty. Does anybody actually deserve it?
Apart from some people on YA who give horrible answers, Does anybody really deserve to be killed by the state? Should it be reintroduced? If it was reintroduced in Britain, what conditions or ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Wednesday, September 17, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links