Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law & Ethics

What is the legal age you can leave home without the permission of your parents....16 or 18??
Find answers to your legal question.

What is the legal age you can leave home without the permission of your parents....16 or 18??

the legal age to leave home without the parents of the young person being able to get the police involved and bring back the youngster as long as the youngster is in a safe environment and being looked after by a responsible adult.

private dick

kasawn_kitty
In Minnesota it is not "legal" to leave the care of your caretaker until you are 18. In some cases you can be emancipated; in this case you have to prove to the judge that you are responsible, have a job, and are able to care for yourself on your own without help from county or state resources (ie welfare, section8). Most of the time, as I have seen, these kids are holding down a full time job, have stayed in school, have a plan for college, and have not had run-ins with the law.

Rebecca
Rating
18 in England 16 in Scotland

Lydia K
Rating
well when i was 16 i was seeing a guy my parents didnt approve of and i run off with him for the night..they got the police involved and the police found me and they got the police to ban this guy ever seeing me again!!and if he came any where near me he would be in trouble..you are your parents responsibility until your 18!!now when i look back i can understand my parents looking out for me..he was a waste of space!!

BLONDESHELL
the legal age is 16

Abercrombie
depends on where you live but it starts at 16 i believe, Good Luck in life! ¤

Sue N
Depends on the country but in the UK I think it is 18. The best thing is to talk things through with your parents. Resolve your differences and get them to "allow" you to leave or to give you more freedom if that is what you are after. Most parents want the best for their kids and they are not being obstructive for no reason. In cases of abuse you can go to the authorities and they will get a court order against your parents and they will look at any proposed new home to see if that is suitable.

Life is too short
I think that the whole process of leaving home at a legal age is not that important,cause there are kids who run a way due to the abuse,others stay at their parents home till they get married.
The best solution is to raise children inside their parents home,teaching them how to participate in life without having legal ways to send them to the streets.
so there is no legal age ,,,,,

ANN K
Rating
16 as long as u can support your self

Pia

If you leave at 16, you still need your guardian's signature to move into another place.

Perseus
Rating
I left home at 17 without permission. I did not consult by lawyers in advance. I just walked out the door.

?
Depends on what country you are in

nicci10221s
Rating
united states you can leave when you turn 16 your parents might call the police and all but you got to leave when you turn 18

reflection
the legal age is 16 but children are most often safer with parents so if you intend to leave your parents please still keep in touch and remember what seams bad now might not be by the time you get to18 and your hormones level out and maby your mums also ( age for british law given) oops seems like england is 18 scotland 16

Justin Boots
Rating
the legal age of majority is different for each country and in USA for each state. 4 the UK it is 18 unless by consent it is 16. so if u r 16 and you want 2 leave home u must have parental permission. if parent/guardian refuse the police can become involved. c 'age of legal majority' on web. good luck. ps, u can leave home without the permission of your parents at 18.

jennifergood
Rating
Depends on where you live, usually 16. Most places that are 18 usually don't put up much of a fight if you are self dependent and responsible. Another option is legal emancipation, which can be done when you can prove to a judge that you can take care of yourself and are cognizant of your own action

dorianalways
Sounds to me that you let out "your true agenda" on this question...Any way "generaly speaking" (although some states may differ in their Laws re: this),I believe the age is 18

*Care Bear*
It's 16. You can also get married without parents consent at 16. At 16 the police can't get involved & bring the person back & they don't have to be in a safe environment or being looked after by another adult as you are considered able to look after yourself.

starlet108
In the Uk you can leave at 16 with parents consent - 18 without x

Julia Encarnacion
Generally 18 in the U.S. Minors can be removed from the home and placed elsewhere in cases of abuse, neglect, or crimedoing by the parents.

But if "responsible adults" other than the parents are housing a minor with no legal reason for the minor to be removed from home, then that "responsible adult" can be charged with harboring a minor without parental consent.

Bl00die
Rating
Most likely 18.

At 16 years of age, you're in a rebellious stage so it's not encouraged to leave the home.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Jury duty question......?
I have ben summoned to serve as a trial juror and I just want to know do I have a choice at all on what kind of trial I get? I am not trying to get out of it but I don't feel comfortable with ...

Another eviction question?
i was 5 days late paying rent (but i did pay, 3 days ago)
land lord said it was fine
yesterday i got an eviction notice telling me i had to be out in 24 hours
Constable served it

Can I sue my city for injuries my child received at a city owned skating rink they charge admission for.?

Which group of people do you think is currently fighing/struggling for civil rights in America?
what are some issues that the groups have encountered?
any supreme court cases? results?
any answers are appreciated. feel free to say how you feel about the groups. thank you in advance....

Why do people still support Bush?
I'm sorry but I really find it inconcievable why people can still believe that Bush is a great President. After admitting that he outright lied on certain issues, didn't acquire correct ...

Spanish Inquisition...Patriot Act...where's the difference?
We laugh and shake our heads in amazement at how overly cruel and evil the Spanish were for their methods during the Spanish Inquisition, but here we are centuries later with the Patriot Act giving ...

Accused of stealing $60 worth of gas...what the worse that can happen?
An officer called my house telling me how my boyfriend told him that I stole gas yesterday morning (and of course I'm pissed). Anyway it was 6o dollars worth and my boyfriend told him he would ...

Boyfriend in jail for posession of marijuana? Plz Help.?
My boyfriend is in jail for posession of marijuana..he was taken in on Thursday. It was a small amount but he is being charged with posession with intent to sell. His court date is monday and i'...

Is torturing terrorists to give information ethical?
During the republican debates the candidates were asked what they would do if a group of terrorists were captured, if they would endorse torturing them to get more infomation. Is this ethical? I am ...

Do narcs have to tell you they are narcs if asked?
hey i was wondering is a (marijuana) narc required to tell you that they are associated with law enforcement if asked....my friend says they have to but i think hes full of shi t....anyone know? ...

Should there be a pedophile register?
yes or no?...

Is limewire illegal?..........?

Additional Details
i just want to know b4 i do it.
what if i check that box that says only allow me to download music the copyright holder will allow me to?...

What are your views on abortion?
Do you believe it to be wrong or right. When do you think it should be allowed if at ...

What would you do?
what would you do if you saw a friend stealing something off a mutual friend? neither the victim of the perpetrator know that I saw this, but I feel he shouldn't get away with what he's ...

If I live with some, do i have rights to their property?
My friends dad has some woman living with him (g/f). What rights does she have to the house he shared with his deceased wife??
Additional Details
Hi, UK & no my friends not a ...

.I have made a will leaving my house and money to my lover will my wife and daughter have any claims?

Are you required by the Constitution to have a driver's license in order to drive on public roads?
I have wondered before if you really need the approval/permission of the government/state in order to drive a privately owned vehicle on public roadways. I have found several references both in S...

"If" the Government banned guns would you turn yours over?

Do you think the Americans have the right to jail a harmless UK computer nerd Gary McKinnon?
Gary McKinnon was arrested in 2002 following charges by U.S. prosecutors that he illegally accessed 97 government computers -- including Pentagon, U.S. army, navy and NASA systems --I do not believe ...

Should the gov't legalize marijuana?
With the US economy in a recession, do you think it's a good idea for the gov't to legalize marijuana? I can see pros and cons of legalizing, but do you think taxing it will benefit the ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Friday, August 29, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links