Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law & Ethics

What responsibilities does a landlord have to a tenant?
Find answers to your legal question.

What responsibilities does a landlord have to a tenant?

Additional Details
and by the way threatening to terminate my agreement if i cause too much fuss

DramaGuy
Rating
It depends on the rental or lease agreement.

If the damage was caused by a burst pipe and you had nothing to do with the cause of the problem, the landlord should be liable for the damage. Your lease may have been specific about what damage may or may not be covered. If you were required to get renter's insurance then you have some responsibility to file a claim against that policy. You should be within your rights to get the landlord to pay the deductible.

Most states and localities will side with you if your landlord tries to evict you because of the "fuss".

If your lease is coming to its annual renewal you could have some difficulty depending on your local rental laws.

piggie
dunno

k9counsellor
Hey Doug

I'm afraid it totally depends on your lease! Some landlords make sure the lease gives them every right under the sun. leaving the tenant left with none.

I think you should visit the Rights Bureau, make sure you bring your lease with you. You can also contact a solicitor, most of them hold a free clinic every so often. Again, bring your lease!
They will be able to study it and let you know what recourse you may have/not have.

All the best

goz1111
a quick check on line should give you your states laws in regard to LL responsibly to the tenant

what type of lease do you have? if it's month to month then ll can give month's notice without reason to end the lease and that's it

if a year lease then most likely a reason to evict is not you complaining of a water problem

what type of remedy do you want? for the LL to pay for new carpet and wall paper?

if you have a yearly lease you have many rights including the right of habitually of the unit which means the LL must maintain the place in it's proper condition also in a year lease he can not evict you just because of have issued an complaint about the unit and want it fix, it could be considered retaliatory in nature

but in the end what do you want the LL to do pay for your damage or what

keepermanca
Go to your state's website and look under tenant / landlord and you should find your answer.

Neil G
its the landlords responsibility to repair or replace the water tank if he don't then you should contact a lawyer or move

generalmanager
Rating
The landlord is responsible for keeping things working well in the place where you pay rent and also keeping the grass cut, shoveling the snow, and any outside repairs due to weather related damage.

Surf n' Snow
Rating
the land lord must fix it. He/She is the LAND LORD, its thier property and their ultimate responsibility. but the tenant CANT trash the place and expect it to be fixed.

ang
Rating
it depends

kez
Rating
lots, fire safety, secuirity, and fixing broken things etc,

AsianPersuasion :)
Rating
Whatever is stated in the lease agreement. If they say they have 24 hour maintenence or claim it is a quiet building, they are responsible for enforcing this.

break
Rating
big question, got some more details?

want_to_explore_life
Rating
Depends on the contract - but usually its for any thing listed in the contents list & general repairs.. i.e. if the cooker is listed 7 goes faulty - he fixes it - but if you damage the door - you pay..

logicalawyer
Rating
If its residential lease, then you have statutory protection from eviction.(Protection from Eviction Act 1977) You should seek legal advice, needless to say landlord tenant is such a vast area and it will largely depend on what kind of contractual status you have with each other.

cookedermott
Rating
none

Carl F
the landlord has to give you 2 months notice to get out by law. put yourself on the homeless list at the local council and they have to house you by law (unless your rich).

Anniez say
Rating
Not sure whether this has escalated due to him not doing the necessary repairs or the refusal to compensate you as the tenant for your belongings, to an extent its irrelevant as it now appears that you will need to find a new landlord.
seek advice from your local council or citizens advice, you may well be able to withold rent until the dispute is sorted. In the meantime I would suggest finding a new place to live!

Sidge
The house has to be in a reasonable condition. It must have smoke detectors, and it must have a gas and electricity safety certificate from registered gas men and electricians. The gas man must be registered by corgi, and the electrician must be registered by something else, I can't remember the name, but you'll see it in the yellow pages. These inspections must be done once a year.
House must have suitable heating system too.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Have you ever stolen anything out of a vending machine?

Yahoo answers suspended my account? What would be the best way to take legal action?
I said jokingly that I was going to kill somebody with my teeth. Like I can really kill somebody with my teeth? They sent me one of those warnings like a email violation. Like you know one of ...

I will turn 18 on May 3rd. Mom wants to claim me still cause I am in High school still.?
ok. I have a ADHD. And she wants to claim like have ownership on me still till I am 23 or so. How can I prevent that from happening? She thinks I can not make choices on my own and I make stupid ...

Now we're gonna need a license to smoke. what next?
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/
its gonna require "complex forms", your photograph to be on it, its going to cost £10 to get it and you're not going ...

I just moved to a new place and get a ton of mail for past tenants. Can I just throw them away?
The first couple days I wrote wrong address and sent back. But this mail is getting ridiculous. I get about 7 items a day that are for past tenants. Is it against the law to just destroy it?
<...

Why are our politicians not asking people to have less kids ?
I mean it looks like huge growth in illietrate peoples population is causing so many problems in India. Our trains,buses,roads are crowded. There are slums and filth everywhere in cities.
A...

Legal problems should i tell my wife.?

How can make at least $100 before december?
im having a party in december and im flat broke..i cant drive and i am not aloud to use the ebay thingy or watever craigslist is.....anyone have any ideas!!!!!!!!!!......ok so lets put it this way......

What is your opinion of AG's Eric Holder promise not to prosecute Bush's water boarding criminals?
Personally it makes me sick
Additional Details
Two wrongs don't make a ...

USA and their guns, whats it all about?
Apparently the excuse always seems to be 'its in the constitution'. Im from the uk and we find it unbelievable everytime theres a another school shooting no attempts are ever made about ...

Can the whites possibly allow a black to rule them?
barrack is black and i heard he is contesting for the post of president. will it be possible?...

How do I protest in an abortion clinic legally?
We have about 50 people that want to protest.How do we protest in an abortion clinic legally?...

Is it an insult to be called an imbecile?
If I am called an imbecile just because I am not muslim I would find that to be flattering.
Also if they call me an imbecile out of hate are they not committing a hate crime?...

If I disagree w/ the govt, then why do some say to leave USA. Dont I have a right to express my opinion?
Some people are so hellbent in forcing democracy into other countries, but god forbid i exercise my democratic rights in America. Why do I have to leave America if I disagree with the presidents ...

Can a guy who hit a girl be truly sorry for his actions and not do it again?
(No, she didnt hit him first)?...

If I witness a murder, do I have to report it?

Andrea Yates has been recently lableled legally insane,Do you agree?
Or do you think the murder of her 5 children was premeditated and she should be held accountable for her actions?...

Why does everybody watch movies illegaly on the internet?
Iam on this gaming forum and everybody is talking about all these movies they watched that are not yet/in theatres. Why does everybody do that when its illegal? I will NEVER do it, but Iam wondering ...

Does anybody know where to go on the internet to get a list of child molesterers in your nighborhood.?

Should it be illegal for me to cut off my finger?
It's a living being on my body, can't I do what I want with it? Should your religious nuttery be the law of the land. I'm aiming this question at the so called "pro-life" ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Sunday, November 23, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links