Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law & Ethics

Why are laws important in a society?
Find answers to your legal question.

Why are laws important in a society?

crapsake
Any type of society requires boundaries and guidlines to live by. It is a way of keeping everyone in order. If there is no order, there is anarchy.

SIR DAVE
To keep people in their place!

† Dark Prince †
Rating
Think of how bad the world would be without them!

brian_music_football
Without them everything would collapse.

Jason F
Rating
Without them we would have a thing called anarchy.

Knight
Rating
pretty much so we won't kill each other

Chuckler
Rating
If we had no law and order we would have murders,rapes,muggings etc on every street corner which would go unpunished. We think it is bad now but without the law and our criminal justice system, it would be one thousand times worse.

cp_scipiom
Rating
Not all laws are so important. Generally laws are necessary so as to regulate how the society works, regulate the various duties, rights and obligations.
The problem however is that there are nowadays much too many, detailed, nitpicking laws- and therefore much too many lawyers. But that is another story... ;-))

Kai M
It is actually a very good philosophical question. We don't need the government to tell us that it is bad to steal, hurt people, etc.

But the one big strength that laws have is that they tell you EXACTLY what the punisment is that you can expect if you are ever found guilty of breaking them.

So when they are policed properly, they are outright bans with a deterrant or cost attached to them - if you do the crime, you've gotta be prepared to do the time and/or pay the fine.

Wolf
Rating
Laws are important because if we didn't have them, lower minded people would simply do what they wanted, take from whoever couldn't stop them, etc. Laws (and law enforcement) are for the protection of people who can't protect themselves.

suzr12002
In order to keep a functional environment..without them it would all be chaos and anarchy.

Frann
Socitey makes the laws..a group of people !! They change all the time. From State to State and country to country. The laws are a guide line as to what is accepted and it keeps me from pinching my ex's head off.

just me
Rating
Because if I didn't like the fact that you asked this question...I could, without much hestitation or fear of punishment...seek you out and kill you because I felt like it...and perhaps include your family if I was so inclined at the moment....obviously, man, unrestrained, would resort to self rule or mob rule and, perhaps ultimately, anarchy.

sam
Rating
Read the book Lord of the Files. that will explain why!!

jeff k
Erm yes, me thinks so.

bobonumpty
why....YES... because if there were no laws there would be anarchy rape and pillage etc etc ...we have to have laws or standards to take us above animal status ..are you a dog or whatever animal you choose ... maybe hope not but to eventually love one another I knew that sounds sad and no I'm not on drugs ...but we all have standards to aim for......... don't think we will reach in my lifetime but hopefully the next generation and even the next if we survive long enough here.s hoping

montathra
In every part of the society the laws are essential and important even among best two persons

frank S
Rating
In addition to all the earlier answers - to keep lawyers in work.

Mariam Namakula
because it keeps society running. without law there would be chaos and it would be survival of the fitest and everyman for himself. not an ideal lifestyle for most Then the world would be unsafe and there would be no order in society.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Im sick because of secondhand smoke again. What can I do?
Im a healthy non-smoker and I work in hotel and smokers have to smoke outside and their cig smoke drifts comes into the hotel lobby from the outside and now Im sick. There should be laws against this ...

Is it illegal to own a cannabis plant or just illegal to harvest it?
i only ask because i think my gran has ...

Scottish law - at what age can children be left alone? My cousin lets her girl of 12 come in from school and?
wait for her to finish work. The overlap is an hour which I worry about. Is it actually illegal? My cousin says not. Unfortunately they live 3 hours away so I cannot watch her wee one for her but I...

After abortion, illegal immigration, gay marriages etc. Whats's next??

We have a non smoking policy at work, thats fine .?
but a co worker was told she could not smoke in her car on the way to work, because if they smelled it on her, they assume she was doing it on the premisis, can they legally do this?...

I did Ecstacy once, can I be a cop? Should I tell them I took it when I was 16-17, im 22 now?
I am trying out to become a cop so I was wondering, they will ask me a polygraph and I was wondering if you ever do this drug does it ruin your chances for life?
Additional Details
They ...

What are some very strong points to oppose the death penalty?
Insert no religion into the argument, it won't help my research paper.
Additional Details
and providing sites with professional speakers can help. as well as books....

Child rape, would you kill some one if they raped and brutalized your child?
if some one raped your child and made it so that they could never have children would you kill the person who raped them? in the supreem court it ruled that capital punishment could not be imposed ...

Whats worse, gay marriage or a priest molesting young children?
The hypocracy of the church kills me....

What do you do, to stop harrassment from neighbors?

Why is marijuana illegal?
why is marijuana illegal?
should it be legalized?...

What if im speeding and a cop passes me on the other lane he gives me the ticket and says i cant see his radar?
he said i was going 71 but i was cruising at 65 he also said he didnt have the radar gun turned on
Additional Details
well he was headed the other direction and i live in alabama he was ...

The so called global lottery ask me fees to claim my prize is this is real or scam?
i receved email from so called global lottery informing me that my email won $300000 in a free bonus lotto draw they asked me fees of affidavite and opening international bank account .i paid $6000 ...

As a lawyer/solicitor/barriste... if you are fighting someones case but he/she tells you that he/she is guilty?
in reality can you still fight their case, representing them as being not guilty? I hope this makes sense. Thanks!...

Is it illegal to have cameras in dressing rooms?
i live on a military base. is it illegal?...

Why do intellectuals support yobs?
Why do intellectuals side with yobs against ordinary people on a whole number of issues, but particularly law and order ones? Does it seem cool to them? Are they snobs trying to appear the opposite?...

Why sould u obey laws?????????????
its a home work assigment and i need ...

Do you feel any sympathy for people in jail or prison over Christmas?
I know from being in prison it's the toughest time to be locked up and especially if you have ...

Can a drunk person legally go home on a bicycle?

Do criminals need help rather than punishment?

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Thursday, October 30, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links