Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law & Ethics

Why are people always executed at dawn?
Find answers to your legal question.

Why are people always executed at dawn?

I have a horror of all methods of capital punishment. But I wish they would at least carry out this, may be necessary, ritual at some decent time in keeping with the body clock.

It seems horrible to me that a human being should be woken at around 4.00 a.m. and asked to prepare for his life to be snuffed out. Maybe he's the worst of criminals, who has done much worse, but should the state emulate this?

lovephoto
imagine myself having to be excecuted i'd rather be executed at dawn too. it is a time when you are in a state of semi-inconsiouness due to the fact that you just wake up thus giving a state of calm that you probably won't have at 11 am....i agree with your views on capital punishment but we forget too fast about the thousand of people dying in darfur every day by starvation and we are shocked by a dictator being executed....bah..i don't knowwhat to say man..it's all so weird...

happy new year anyhow

Alpha M
Rating
A lot of the executions in the US are done at night (usually after midnight)

Chistiaŋ
I dunno. Watch the sunrise I guess. Good question though. It's almost cliche anymore.

angeldancer68
i think they execute at dawn because its a sign of the devil seeing or something around that.

jdphd
People are not always executed at dawn. In most US states, executions take place shortly after midnight

OU812
Yawn. We kill murderers at 1 minute after midnight in California.

?
Rating
not all ways, allot are executed at midnight.

(_)iiiiD
Rating
they're not

Jack
Actually, The USA usually kills them near midnight.
Britain, Canada, Australia and most European countries don't execute their inmates. They tend to be a little more compassionate, I guess.

Big C
Rating
The state does this cuz they will not have to pay the hangman overtime if it is done late in the afternoon.

sirtitan45
Rating
Institutions of law are so inconsistent in their implementation of justice, usually biasing their decisions based on financial motives.

Mr. Burns
Rating
I agree with you that the taking of a life is a sad thing regardless of what they have done, and in reality keeping someone alive and imprisoned is a probably a worst punishment. I don't think I could bare to be locked in my bedroom with a TV for the rest of my life. In any case, I think that when they know they are going to die, they can't sleep anyway. I think they execute people at dawn to avoid crowds. I would protest a killing or watcha killing if it meant I had to get up at 3 am. In the case of Saddam I do believe he was executed at a time inconvenient for the masses to come and spectate.

cruisingyeti
A morbid, historical "tradition"

Since before the Roman Empire.

The "death warrants" usually stated a specific date, hence logical to do the deed at dawn.

In the USA, some states do this as soon after midnight as feasible, very morbid. "12:01 AM"

Few countries ever were than considerate about execution protocol. Well the United Kingdom did abolish hanging decades ago, always -at least- made the process ever so quick: however distasteful. One would only be in the execution chamber for seconds before death, all the verbal formalities having been done
earlier.

But the UK does not do such anymore, here in the USA, well it is a slow and often blotched process of unspeakable misadventure.

Not real value in this discussion as many are just not getting the issues, good questions.

Besides the UK learned that many who were executed should not have even been convicted of premeditated murder or a military law violation.

Sadaam got the version of the British hanging, "proper" but still not "done well", regardless he is headed to Hell.

As a well - think that covers such, suspect we will get many more remarks.

trollwzrd
Rating
What I have heard is most executions are done at 1 minute after mid-night.
The reason for that is the warrant for their death is only good for 24 hours, and in case the person has a heart attack or some other medical problem they have time to give them medical care to save their life so that they can be executed properly.

I say what a waste. If they had a heart attack (heaven forbid) and died why bring them back?

Roadrunner58-79
Not all criminals are executed at dawn, some times are
different.

peaceisjustice2
Actually there is no set execution time some places execute at sunset on the execution date, some at 12:01 the first minute on the execution date.

As far as being the worst I do not think Saddam would break the top 15 of the worlds superkillers or torturers.

JAMI E
Breakfast of champions? Sorry lol

me
Rating
i don't really like the idea either. i assume it is just tradition and has been for a very long time.

leena
Rating
you mean with saddam? they had to get it over with before this holiday they were having where they couldn't execute anybody for a week. i see your point, but its not going to matter in five minutes. i'm not a big death penalty person either.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Legal problems should i tell my wife.?

How can make at least $100 before december?
im having a party in december and im flat broke..i cant drive and i am not aloud to use the ebay thingy or watever craigslist is.....anyone have any ideas!!!!!!!!!!......ok so lets put it this way......

What is your opinion of AG's Eric Holder promise not to prosecute Bush's water boarding criminals?
Personally it makes me sick
Additional Details
Two wrongs don't make a ...

USA and their guns, whats it all about?
Apparently the excuse always seems to be 'its in the constitution'. Im from the uk and we find it unbelievable everytime theres a another school shooting no attempts are ever made about ...

Can the whites possibly allow a black to rule them?
barrack is black and i heard he is contesting for the post of president. will it be possible?...

How do I protest in an abortion clinic legally?
We have about 50 people that want to protest.How do we protest in an abortion clinic legally?...

Is it an insult to be called an imbecile?
If I am called an imbecile just because I am not muslim I would find that to be flattering.
Also if they call me an imbecile out of hate are they not committing a hate crime?...

If I disagree w/ the govt, then why do some say to leave USA. Dont I have a right to express my opinion?
Some people are so hellbent in forcing democracy into other countries, but god forbid i exercise my democratic rights in America. Why do I have to leave America if I disagree with the presidents ...

Can a guy who hit a girl be truly sorry for his actions and not do it again?
(No, she didnt hit him first)?...

If I witness a murder, do I have to report it?

Andrea Yates has been recently lableled legally insane,Do you agree?
Or do you think the murder of her 5 children was premeditated and she should be held accountable for her actions?...

Why does everybody watch movies illegaly on the internet?
Iam on this gaming forum and everybody is talking about all these movies they watched that are not yet/in theatres. Why does everybody do that when its illegal? I will NEVER do it, but Iam wondering ...

Does anybody know where to go on the internet to get a list of child molesterers in your nighborhood.?

Should it be illegal for me to cut off my finger?
It's a living being on my body, can't I do what I want with it? Should your religious nuttery be the law of the land. I'm aiming this question at the so called "pro-life" ...

Is it illegal to drink alcohol outside your apartment?
I live in NY, Brooklyn to be exact. I am 23 years old but I was wondering if I actually sat on my steps outside my apartment door, can the police come by and give me a ticket for public intoxication?...

Is George Bush any different from a serial killer?

Do you think that burning the American flag should be a crime or should it be a expression of free speech?
Explain your point....

Agree or disagree: "Gay marriage is denied based on gender discrimination "?
Or are their other issues involved?
Additional Details
There are alot of good answers! Thank you... How to pick the best one?...

If two lanes turn right, can you turn right on a red light from the lefthand of the two right turn lanes?
this would be in states where turning right on a red light after stopping is legal....

I need legal advice Some people have been threatening me a lot and openly says they do it because I'm Mormon
and they say that I can't have visiters and after I reported a threat 2 times they told the officer that I was lying and they said Mormons can't call the police or they would be arrested ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Monday, September 22, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links