Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law & Ethics

Why do Americans insist they have the right to own a gun because of the constitution??
Find answers to your legal question.

Why do Americans insist they have the right to own a gun because of the constitution??

The Constitution says you have the right to bear arms not own them. If you look in the dictionary Oxford or if you prefer Webster's dictionary the word bare does not have in any of its defintions the word own so if you use the Constitution for your support where else does it say you have the right to own a gun??

just wondering
Rating
thats what bear arms means the right to own them

rotcfreak1
Rating
When that ammendment was created, they didn't have gun permits or any of that. They were concerned that the government would take away their weapons, which now it can unless a person ownes it. Therefore, Americans do have the right to own a weapon in order to keep the Constitution valid.

dude.
Rating
The second amendment says the right to KEEP and bear arms,

fr_chuck
Rating
Yes, since any law that would stop ownership, would stop someone from carrying it ( bear) so unless the government is just going to furnish and give each citizen thier own gun when they turn 21, I guess to bear it, we have to own it.

ace
Rating
dont try to be a smarta**

gbaplayer92
If I have the right to bear a gun, then how am I supposed to if I don't own one?

philo
How would you suggest somebody excercise their right to bear arms if nobody were allowed to own them?

Dr.Bucksnort
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

hmmm, now unless i'm blind here , it says KEEP and bear arms does it not .

nothing else needs said , other then as a american i have the constituional right to KEEP and BEAR ARMS

honesty
Rating
The right to bear arms is to own them. Did you think the benevolent arms fairy would loan you one in time of trouble?

lordkelvin
Rating
And just how do you propose to "bare" arms if you don't have (own) a weapon to bare?

Angelus2007
Rating
Because there are other laws that require you to resgister a gun you are carrying or in your possesion.

happeeMarcie
I own all the guns I bear. They don't belong to anyone else. They're mine and you can't have them.

Get your own!

ray z
Rating
Keep and bear arms. !!!
it is not to prevent crime, it is rather to keep the government honest and to keep those in power from instituting marshall law.
Guy Faux said "a people should not fear it's government, a government should fear its people" 1605

frank m
Rating
You don't like it move to France or Mexico or somewhere else and go complain to them!

Timothy T
Rating
The right the KEEP and Bear arms is the formemost provision to protect the citizenry from overarching govt. It's how the founding fathers fought off the brits, natives, and other hostiles over the course of the first oh say 250 years. We keep having to defend it, so it's a good idea to stick to this one. Given what is coming, I am arming up heavily.

TomT
You concede that we have the right to bare guns, but you question if we have the right to own them. You say in your premise, "The Constitution says you have the right to bare arms, (sic) not own them. Obviously, to the Framers of that document it was accepted that "bare" also meant "own" because they all had guns which they owned. Such as this is the exact reason I prefer judges be elected or appointed who consider the Constitution a rigid, as opposed to a living, document and rule upon it based upon what it meant at the time of the writing instead of what a certain word or phrase may mean today.

Tater1966
In order to bear arms you have to own them. How else can a person bear a firearm without owning it?

Abi:
If the students at Va Tech had been allowed to bear arms on the campus legally, then perhaps the number of those killed would have been lower. The shooter violated the law by having a weapon on campus. Maybe if the libs/dems hadn't taken discipline and God out the schools this things wouldn't be happening. But of course we all know the libs/dems know what's best for everyone, right?

If someone wants to live in a society where guns are banned move to a country where they have a ban and leave the rest of us alone!

Questionable
Your question is one I have not though of. It's good so here the answer.
Under the Rights Priviledge, Immunity part of the Constitution is where this question would fall.
The people own all the Rights, Priviledges, Immunities except those granted (given) to the government in order to form and operate a perfect Union.
The people are the Sovereign, the government is the servant of the Sovereign and does not have any right to what is not law.
Base upon on the Constituion and all its documents (thousands) you will find the supporting information. Take the time to read and I will assure you, you will know more than about guns. Your head will be bursting with a lot of wonderful information.

Dowahdiddy
Rating
DUH You have to own the gun in order to bear it.

Godknows
Rating
Then you tell me where will we bare them from? the government i doubt it the Constitution i doubt it first responders i doubt it...u know i feel that the Constitution was made for the people that was oppress and beat down with no notion of protection why because there was enemy's present to destroy all that was value and all we had at the time was moral value to love to live to understand and to learn to know right from wrong and to protect all that matter to us as country as a people as nation to bare arms to protect that our moral values.We bare the arms from our homes for that is where love begins is at home!

Neoabolitionist
Rating
No person has a right "because of the Constitution" -- not the right ot own an gun or any other right. Individuals have rights as an inalienable part of their nature or identity as human beings. Rights may be protected or infringed by government, but they can neither be granted nor taken away. One acquires the right to own a gun simply by creating, purchasing, or inheriting a gun.

The Constitution is not a document whereby the government confers some finite number of rights on people. Indeed, our rights are innumerable. The Constitution is a document whereby the people specify a finite number of powers that they grant to the government.

The questioner is right in that the 2nd Amendment doesn't have anything to do with the right to own a gun. It is the 5th Amendment that prohibits the government from depriving a person of property (such as a gun) except by due process of law, i.e., as punishment for a crime, etc. However, the above question is ill conceived. It should have been, "Where in the Constitution is the government granted the power to interfere with gun ownership?"

frozen
Rating
Wow, Americans are really big on this!!! It's a gun, BIG DEAL. No ones stopping you from hunting, just don't buy a handgun those are designed for murder. And don't argue that it's self defense, owning one is much more likely to get you killed than save you!

Here in Canada our guns are registered rifles and shotguns for hunting. Crimes are committed with illegal handguns which are smuggled across the border or stolen from "collectors". Soon collecting will not be an excuse for owning a handgun, and those will all be illegal. GOOD RIDDANCE!!!!

Going to pick up my new 30-06 w/ scope next week! Look out moose....

claudiacake
It is a civil right based upon our courts interpretation of constitutional law.

Bobbi
because they are conservative republican closeminded rednecks and want to make up for their tiny manhoods

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

What 2 do about constant vandalism to my car??
My Car was keyed severly in last summer and I've had 3 slashed tires in the last 6 mos. and just last month someone tried to remove my drivers side door handle...I CAN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE! I...

Should people on welfare be allowed to have babies and maintain their wefare status.?

I thought smoking cigarettes under age 18 is illegal!?
how come at almost every high school you go to there is always a group of kids ages 13-17 smoking outside? i though it was illegal! how come the school lets them do that? if they were to do drugs ...

What would you do if you were pulled over and handed a fine for smoking in your own vehicle?

Why is Marijiuana illegal but alcohol is legal?
I read on a site that made really interesting points about this question.

"Logically speaking, it should be the other way around. Alcohol tends to make many people aggressive, ...

Pledge of Allegiance?
I teach in a public school in the South. Each morning, school is started with the Pledge of Allegiance. I tell students they have a Constitutional right to stand or not to stand, to say it or not to ...

Is it illegal to carry a purse in school?
my principal is saying it is illegal to carry backpacks and coats and school, i mean i can understand that but what about purses? i don't get it, why would it be against the law to carry a purse ...

What is the legal term for ‘child abuse’?

If your girlfriend gets pregnant and she refuses to get an abortion?
should you be able to sign something saying that you don't want the child legally so you are not liable for child support and other costs.
Additional Details

Saddam Hussein has been sentenced to Death by hanging for crimes against humanity?
Views please. Personally I think he got off lightly when I think of how so many have suffered under his tyrrany
Additional Details
So KBW are you saying you don't think he should ...

If you were not to go to prison for killing someone......?
would you kill someone (knowing that you can get away with it) and if so who would you want to kill??...

I got punched in the face. Can I sue this guy? ?
We were playing some pick up basketball at the local gym and the game started getting pretty intense. Both teams were arguing* about foul calls and such. This other guy kept calling me and a couple ...

Is this even legal??
I work at a gas station, and the owner informed us today that we are going to have to pay for the drive offs... Can he do that?
He's too cheap to put in camera's and we cant be ...

Could we sue George Bush and/or the US government?
For loss of life, earnings, for injury both mental and physical as well as loss of time due to all of the problems raised by the increase in worldwide terrorism for the poor handeling of the world ...

A request to everyone using this site.?
I am pretty clued up on a lot that goes on in the UK. But it is nigh on impossible in a lot of cases to know whether the question being asked is relevant to the UK. Different laws etc. apply to ...

Do you think capital punishment is good or bad?

My mom hits me with the belt, and im 13 years old in the 8th grade...is this against the law?
She hits me on my arms, my legs, she hits me for stupid stuff too....

How can you pass a polygraph?
Or at least make it unconclusive? Need to pass it!!!!
Additional Details
Hey Crackheads, I did not ask for judgements, just an answer, that is what this website is for right? Also do ...

Is someone that wont take a polygraph or testify under oath guilty?
GW for example doesnt want his fellow comrads to have to testify under oath....Isnt this just admitting to guilt?
Additional Details
Polygraphs are accurate just for your information. T...

If I saw Osama Bin Laden outside my house could I shoot him and kill him with no repercussions?

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Wednesday, November 26, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links