Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law & Ethics

Why do people get sentenced to jail for longer than their lifespan?
Find answers to your legal question.

Why do people get sentenced to jail for longer than their lifespan?

Here's the story: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061104/ap_on_re_us/indiana_serial_killings;_ylt=AoWnLSDAQ98BJa5.zsJEY4LMWM0F;_ylu=X3oDMTA3MjBwMWtkBHNlYwM3MTg-

Andy
Althugh parole scarcely exists in many systems these days, this takes care of the matter if it is brought back.

Many, many criminals will die in prison these days. I have no problem with that; except that for those sentenced in the 1960s-1980s when the judge took account of the fact that most prisoners were released after serving half their sentence, there is some unfairness. Like the teenagers sentenced to "llfe" when life meant 20 years. Only now it means life, retroactively.

Rageling
So that it's harder for him to get off, incase they find a way to take years off of their sentence.

mrfrijo
Rating
So they know that they are never getting out ,never

Judy the Wench
makes them logically unable to get parole or time off for good behavior

debralizjr
Rating
So they can never harm another person.And so they die in jail.

conundrum_dragon
Rating
to insure that they die in prison since he can't be give the death penalty that is there way to see that he never walks the streets a free man again.

seek_fulfill
Rating
It is a legal thing..You hear about people getting 4 consecutive life sentences, etc. If they are eligible for parole on the first one, the second one kicks in, and so forth.

?
that would never be completed... not on earth anyway.

ray b
Rating
To ensure they never ever again post a threat to the community....

cabjr1961
Rating
One word....Cyrogenics

jim g
Rating
So they're not released for good behaviour..it'd be easier and cheaper to execute them but it some states that's not possible.

Rich B
According to the crime commited, there are guidelines judges use in sentencing. A minimum and a maximum. If the judge feels the criminal is beyond redemption or is a danger to society, he/she will impose the maximum sentence. It may be that the number of years is more than the expected lifespan of the person in question.

Teresa A
possibly so they can never get paroled for good behavior?

mighty_power7
Rating
i think because sentences aren't really adjusted according to how long someone's going to live, and if they have a couple of felonies that have built up, then they just add on top of each other.

aj
Rating
i've wondered that too, i think it could have something to do with parole. a life sentence doesnt have parole, and a 120 year sentence has a chance for parole if they live long enough

Lexxie
Because if you are sentanced for 5 years, someone can get you out, but if you sentances 200 years your staying in jail for life without a fighting chance.

PINK
Yea, i always wondar why that happened. Maybe thay would just die in jail. I really don't have any idea?

kristina807
Rating
Because if u truly want to send someone away for their lifetime....a life sentence isn't really a LIFE sentence....like you're not there until u die necessarily....

It Co$t To Be Around The Bo$$
Because they get sentenced accorrding to their crimes not how long they are going to live.

PushDownAndTurn
just in case!, no really because you get so many years per crime

James J
For two reasons.
1) (the realistic reason.)
When a person is sentanced to say, ten years, he is, in some jurisdictions, eligible for parole in three years. Sentance him to 100 years, and he is still eligible for parole in 30 years. Sentance him to 300 years, and unless he is destined to live to the ripe old age of 120, he probably won't be around to make parole in 90 years.
2)(the propaganda reason)
Saying that a criminal is sentanced to a 300 yr term simply SOUNDS ominious and reminds all that the crime comitted was heinous and deserving of severe punishment. This may serve to discourage others from commiting the same type of crime.

Sam
It has to do with their parole ability. Some are sentenced to life, but may get paroled. Others are sentenced to life without parole. While yet others are given consecutive life sentences, or 150 years. The latter may still become eligible for parole, depending on the condition of their sentence.

me
Rating
To prevent early release.

xhollisterloverxx3
Rating
So they can insure that the person wont be free again, thats why sme people would prefer the death penalty when they know that they are going to spend the rest of their life in prison.

dluv1126
Rating
So that their chances of getting freed on parole become narrower. In some states, a life sentence can mean that they will be eligible for parole after 15 to 25 years. If they have consecutive life sentences, then they will not get paroled. For sentences other than life, most parolees have to serve at least 85% of their sentence, for someone sentenced to 130 years, that is 110 years. Also, if someone is convicted of multiple crimes against multiple victims, a minimum sentence must be carried out no matter how absurd the length of imprisonment might ultimately seem.

tnblond29
Rating
Most sentences offer early parole under certain conditions. The longer the sentence, the more years it will be before the convict can qualify for parole. To ensure the offender serves a certain minimum of years, the sentence may be longer than the persons expected lifespan. This is a simple answer, but I'm sure someone will have more technical info for you at some point.

kate
Because their crimes are so repugnant that the judge wants to make sure they never are free again. Regular sentences prisoners can get reduce time for good behavior and other stuff, so the longgggg sentences get around that.
AND the person should be euthanized but americans are to mentally frail to grasp that.

BABYBO1984
their counts are important because in a religous view his or her soul should be seen a punished soul as well...his testimony to god would be shamed

stargazer6440
Rating
because the system doesn't always work...

Lyn K
Rating
the shorter the sentance,the sooner the person is up for parole.if theyve done something particularly heinous,its so they arent up for parole for a long,long time.in the case of consecutive life sentances,its for -again-especially horrific serial murders-then,the person will never be up for parole.

Lord Darkgoth Nitesabre
Rating
because in these scary times a "LIFE" sentance can mean less than 15 years!

Brainy
Each charge is sentenced separately so that if it is reversed on appeal, other charges can remain, and be carried out as sentenced. If a person is convicted of several charges, the sentencing can really stack up. For example, some charged of murdering (4) people, might be sentenced for (4) life terms. In appeal, on of the convictions is over turned, then they would still have (3) life sentences left to serve.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Do people only become doctors to get paid huge salaries?
I am increasingly beginning to believe this.
My brother went to the hospital a few weeks back with a back complaint. the doctor asked him what he did for a living and he said he drove cars for a ...

What's the bet way to punish Osama Bin Laden ?
and his followers. Is it fair to punish him by killing all of his children ? Without any offspring. He's a dead end. In terms of the future genetic make up of humanity. This is somehting ...

Is dress code a violation of students rights?

Will i go to jail for driving with no license and no insurance no vaid tag?
im not a drunk driver i cant drive for medical reasons i have not had a ticket in fifeteen years but had to drive to hospital when child was hurt playing ball school called said child was injured and ...

Should Marijuana be illegal?

Additional Details
to doingthedishes...

That is NOT the reason it is illegal.. if that were true you'd know it. The simple fact is that most americans are uneducated ...

Why don't we have real freedom in the USA?
The USA isn't that great of a place to live. Look at this. 46 million without health care. 22,678 shot to dead in crime. Many jobs only pay 9 dollars per hour. If one gets arrested and you are ...

Should i cooperate with police or get Lawyer ??
-------i dont need any smart answers please
-- I reside in california
1. arrested for sales of pills..( 20 of them)
2. unprecidented act- it was first time selling...
3.no prior ...

What is the horrific act of terrorism ever performed on American soil?

If a person hits another person without any reason, can that person be sue?

Do all pro-abortion arguments ignore the fact that the woman has a child inside of her?
"It is her body, she can do what she wants with it". I can agree with that, it sounds like an argument for suicide.

But would it make sense for me to say "it's my body,...

Do you think marijuana should be legal?
Why is it that only the government can make and sell drugs?? And drugs that have way worse side effects than weed! Prescription drugs that cause blood clots, heart attack, liver damage, stroke. A...

What are your views on animal rights?
For school we have to write somthing for animal rights. Most of my class is for animal testing but im for animal rights. I understand alot of their point of views i just dont know what to write for ...

Injured on my landlords property and they wont return my calls, landlord told me to f off, what should i do?

Do vending machines check ID in the UK?
Okay, so i'm sixteen and i smoke (Oh my. I KNOW its bad for me, i don't care, so don't bother warning me against it). I was all happy last year because i was going to be of age to ...

Should guns be banned from civilian use?!?
Do you think that there should be a law stating that civilians should not be able to own guns?...

I need a defence for county court for bank charge reclaim?
I have been trying for a long time now like many others to reclaim bank charges and did it online. Now it has been transfered to WALSALL COUNTY COURT on the 10th JULY @ 10am and due to me having a ...

Have you ever talked your way out of a ticket?
How did you do so? Details please, I need something that I can use if I get pulled over today!
Additional Details
rachellynn200...because I drive fast, I dont obey laws and get pulled ...

If gay marraige becomes legal should they make polygamy legal?
it seems like the reason these things are illegal are because theyre immoral so if 1 becomes legal the other should too,,even marrying animals or underage
Additional Details
ok well the ...

Do you think smoking pot makes you a bad person?
Now, I am not talking about the effects of pot. I mean, would you think of a person you once respected as a bad person after you found out they smoke pot? I think people judge people who smoke way to ...

Can you go to prison if you're innocent?

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Sunday, September 21, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links