Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law & Legal Jobs

Are employees suppose to sign off on their time sheets before having a check cut?
Find answers to your legal question.

Are employees suppose to sign off on their time sheets before having a check cut?

At work my boss makes me work over 20-30 minutes everyday. I called the payroll department and told them I wasn't paid for all the time I worked. They said, "You should have seen that on your time-sheet before it was sent to us." I said, "What time-sheet?" Then they sent me to the head bosses phone and she said, "Well, if you work over 15 minutes one day then you usually get off 15 minutes early another-it all works out." I told her I never get off early (although my bosses favorites do). Payroll let it slip that someone "signed" my time-sheet. Then they tried to back pedal and say, "Oh, but it may just be the director's (head boss) initials on it." I was told to ask for my time sheet, but my boss won't do anything for me and keeps putting me off. I was hired to work 4 hours a day. If I work over those 4 hours am I not suppose to be compensated for my time? Also, has anyone ever had a time sheet that did not require their signature before being turned into payroll? I think I smell a rat.

michr
Rating
it is not a requirement by LAW that the time sheet be signed by you but it is required to be accurate. it also must contain certain information for each shift you work, it is NOT okay to just balance them out from one day to the next and 'payroll' knows that.
http://www.dol.gov/esa/whd/regs/compliance/whdfs21.pdf

politely let the employer know that if they are not going to pay you for the time you work you will have to file a wage claim and complaint with the department of labor.
this link shows the websites for each states department of labor:
http://www.dol.gov/esa/contacts/state_of.htm

in almost every state they must have payroll records available for you to inspect upon request. payroll records are not part of the personnel file and must be accessible for inspection. in most states the employer has a limited number of days to provide payroll records once requested or face fines.

Sherry C
Rating
Yes you should get a copy of the time you worked. Some companies expect you to sign off on the time-sheets; some don't. What does your employee handbook say about undocumented work.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Employer with dubious accounting methods and signatures?
Your Question
Employer with sly accounting methods?
On the day I resigned, I verbally told my employer that I ´would hand in my 30 days notice that same day, he then told me I could take ...

Explain how a work plan will assist you to achieve both your short-term and long-term goals.?

What is price fixing?
I read this article and I am confused:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com
What have they done that is illegal? Why can't they sell the chips for however much they want?
<...

How much can a person with an associate's degree just out of college make as a paralegal?
No work experience in a law office....

HELP PLEASE!!!! Question for a lawyer in ARIZONA?
I owned a Manufactured Home, but I sold it to another person. We signed a private sales contract. So, this person makes the monthly payment to us and we send the payment to the Mortgage Co.
This ...

Did my employer breach its contract with me?
I am a US employee on secondment to the UK. My contract states that while in the UK I am to be "tax protected" (i.e. pay the same tax rate as I would had I been living in the US). This did ...

Why are so many companies requiring social security to apply for a job? so before your even hired. is it safe?
We need your Social Security Number in order to pay you as an independent contractor. This is a requirement of the IRS. If in a calendar year, you receive $600 or more from us, we are required to ...

Do you put your social security on your job application before you get hired? it seems to be pretty common now?
most companies will ask for your social security before they hire you

Is there any info on Lawyers you could tell me about?
I need some basic info on Lawyers for a class project that i'm doing. Information like graduation requirements, salary, what they do, law firms, and etc......

Is it legal? Restaurant employer claimed my tips for me then took money from my next check to cover difference?
I work at a restaurant and my employer felt I didnt claim enough tips so they claimed 20% of my sales which is more than I made. My next paycheck said VOID and that I owed them an extra $80 as a ...

Psychology major good for future law MA?
I'm planning on doing a psychology BA, beacause psychology is something I'm truly interested in which would make it possible for me to wotk superhard and get top grades. I think it's ...

Did my employer breach its contract with me?
I am a US employee on secondment to the UK. My contract states that while in the UK I am to be "tax protected" (i.e. pay the same tax rate as I would had I been living in the US). This ...

Jobs Legal Age. please????????? anyone help???????
legal age for job im 14 and 7 months? can i work??
Additional Details
ITS IN AUSTRALIA VICTORIA!!!...

Work permit required?
so i live in california bay area and im turning 16 next week. Do i still require a work permit to legally work at a commercial job like jamba juice?...

Job question??????? Is this legal?
I think I was technically laid off today, or some time this last week. I went in today to go check if they had me on the schedule for the next week and saw that my name was no longer on the schedule.<...

Two checks from my friend bounces?
I had a friend who wrote me a check and had me cash it in for him because he was in need of money. He told me was in -900 debt and he wrote two checks of 550 for me to cash in for him. The check ...

IS THIS LEGAL.. PLEASE HELP ASAP?
actually i have a bit of a problem...
my hours were changed at prospect airport services.. they were 2:30pm - 11pm.. the day after my first day of working those hours, a supervisor changed them....

What is the process of getting a degree as a lawyer?
I'm in high school and I'm interested in becoming a prosecutor, but I don't know what I have to do to get my law degree. Is there a specific path of schooling you have to take? And ...

Convicted felon seeking jobs?
I am a convicted felon and am seeking part time or full time work to support myself and my pregnant ...

Salaried empoylees pay cut 20%?
In Texas can an employer cut salaried non exempt employees ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Thursday, November 27, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links