Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law & Legal Jobs

Are there laws against employers cursing at employees?
Find answers to your legal question.

Are there laws against employers cursing at employees?

Are there any laws against employers cursing at their workers, lying and talking down to them or just plain old being disrespectful, and mean spirited. I use to work at a company where this would happen and there were supervisor you would say to you that they didn't care what the law says, they can do what they want. I even saw managers wanting their friends to beat people up away from the job.

Scott K
Rating
Harassment is illegal. If the behavior crosses the line the employee can contact the state department of labor and industries and file a complaint.

ClicketyClack
Employees have sued employers for creating a hostile work environment but they don't always win. I think most abusive bosses depend on the possibility of being fired + the very real chance you take in losing such a lawsuit to get away with acting like schoolyard bullies in the workplace.

leysarob
It's not illegal to be rude, stupid, etc. The bigger question is this: why stay where a supervisor is so demeaning?

However, having people beat up is against the law -- if you can prove the manager arranged the beating. That's a case for the police.

A hostile work environment is one where you are being treated poorly only because of being in a protected class. If the supervisor is equally mean-spirited to all or most -- you don't have a legal case.

tiffany
Rating
You can check with your local Human Rights office and Labour Board. There should be something about abusive, hostile behaviour, poisoned work environment, etc. Most companies would also have a policy about it.

Good luck

GT
Rating
i don't think its illegal, but i'm sure i lawsuit could arise from that. the employee could site emotional distress or something like that.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Redundancy - last in first out - is it legal?
I am a fuel tanker driver and have been served notice that I am under threat of redundancy, I have been told that this is illegal under the age discriminatoin act. Management say that there is an ...

Another company's buying our place of employment and I'm worried?
My bosses have just sold the company who i work for,and they leave in two weeks. And to be honest im extremely worried about the security of my job. I have been there for 4 years and i need to know ...

Can you be fired for suspicion of theft??even if there is no proof(b/c you stole nothing)??
my boss does not like me and i feel she is always watching me and same w/ our security and i feel like she is going to try and say i stole something to get rid of me but it doesn't seem legal???I...

Legal obligation to provide for Continuing Education ?
I recieved a contract for employment that I am reviewing for one of my candidates (I am a recruiter). The candidate is a physcian, whom MUST attend CME's in order to maintain liscensure. The ...

Do I need to give 2 weeks notice when leaving my current position as a registered nurse?
I am still in the 90 day probationary period. My schedule has been changed from day shift to night shift and back to day shift in this short period. I am not very happy at the job and would like to ...

As an employer, can i add monitoring software to just one employee rather to all?
I have one employee always on the phone or the internet and I would like to prove it that she is aways on the web for personal reasons. Because of expense, I dont want to add to everyones computer. I...

Discrimination in a work place PLEASE HELP!!!!?
can someone please tell me if what my company is doing is right??
ive been employed with this company for almost 1 year and all of the sudden out of the blue that have a confrence meeting with ...

My hubby wants to be a police officer but I have bad credit...?
My husband wants more than anything to become a police officer. He graduated with High Honors in college and has great credit. I, however, have bad credit. All of the applications that my husband has ...

If I am under 16 and choose to "work" without pay is it legal for my employer?
I want to start working at a riding centre again but im not expectig to be payed for it. I have chosen to work simply for the experience. As it is on a pretty unformal basis is it still legal for me ...

About lawyer...?
we have a presentation.. to identify my future job and i chose to be a lawyer. how math is used in that profession?...

If you get fired from you job??
I got fired from my job for getting into a fight w/ one of my co- worker. Can I still qualify from for unemployment, my employer said they would not contest. I feel so bad because I didn't ...

Is it legal to sack someone for doing a favour?
We had hired a bathroom company to do a huge bathroom in our job, and after getting to know one of their employees who happened to be working on our bathroom and being pleased with his work, we hired ...

Minimum of 4 hours pay per employee a day?
I have worked for a warehouse company close to a year now. We start at 7AM and work until we finish what we need each day. Sometimes we work as little as 4 hours a day and maybe as much as 10 hours. T...

Is it illegal to have a home recording studio and let other people pay to record?
I need to know because ive been doing this but my dads come home and he's bugging me to find out whether its legal or not!...

Un Employment Question?
I Recently Filed For UnEmployment In CA i quit my job due to moving and housing costs in CA i cant get relaiable transpertation to my old job aka fast food so i put my 2weeks in and told them why i ...

Whats the legal requirement of resumes.?
My girlfriends last job are dragging their heels on producing a resume which in turn is holding up her starting her new job.

If they fail to produce it what can be done.?

Is it ...

Am I still able to fight for the money promised me after my promotion, but have never received?
LONG story short:
I was promoted at a major company form an hourly assistant manager to a salaried position as a store manager. I was put into 'my own store' with virtually no training....

What would happen to a company if they fires u for work related injuries

Do I have to pay back an overpayment from a job I just quit?
At the beginning of the month I took the only job I was offered and they said they paid twice a month. During that time I was offered another job and accepted it on the day paychecks were cut. Since ...

What career opportunities are available to someone who is interested in?
law, but doesn't want to be a courtroom lawyer, or a cop, or a prison guard....

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Saturday, August 30, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links