Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law & Legal Jobs

Are you entitled to PTO if you are fired or quit?
Find answers to your legal question.

Are you entitled to PTO if you are fired or quit?

I will be leaving my job. We are sitting down tonight to have an "exit interview" I will be requesting that I be paid for my accrued PTO (paid time off). If the employee handbook does not say either way, am I entitled to it? They are not asking me to fulfill my notice, so I would assume that I can be compensated for my earned pto. Am I correct? I live in Florida if that makes any difference.

lenny p
Michr is correct. Even when PTO is considered paid vacation (or a combination of vacation and sick leave) there is no requirement to pay off the accrued balance at termination of employment in Florida. You could check your company policy to see if they obligated themselves to pay in this way, but otherwise, you cannot expect to be paid. I guess it is too late to use it before you leave...

michr
Rating
in Florida it is an employer decision the law does not mandate that you receive any accrued PTO at separation.

there are a few states that require you be paid for "earned" vacation time at separation (Florida is not one of them) but none require sick or personal days or "Paid Time Off".

hr4me
Rating
In Florida it is not mandated by law that an employer must pay out PTO, it is an employer policy. If your handbook does not address whether you are going to be paid out this time or not you will have to wait and see what happens unless you know someone in HR that you could ask that question.

rwa000
it is completely at the employers discretion, however usually vaction is paid but not personal or sick time

Bad me
Rating
Yes, you will receive PTO because PTO is something you earned. I would double check. I know at my company they will pay you out if you quit or are fired. I have 180 hours of PTO. My company does not offer PTO anymore so I have a saved PTO bank.

I have another sick bank that was just provided to us for (x) amount of years worked - but, if you quit or are fired I can't get those.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Sears won't clear my background so I cant get hired at retail stores?
Basically, When I was 16 years old, I was employed at Sears and I was told to leave because I gave a small discount to a couple of items and I did NOT get arrested and they didn't file charges ...

I think an employee has went to my boss...?
and told him lies about me. Like I've been hitting on him, when actually it's the opposite way around. However, my boss has said nothing to me about it, but people are being very werid ...

What is a paralegal? how much do they make?
i am somewhat interested in doing that but would like to have a more in depth understanding of what they do. and how much they can ...

HR Question?
Hey just a quick question on reference checks. What questions can they ask for personal or work references. I was told it could only be 3 things.
1) Did employee X work for you
2) Wage ...

Vocabulary help for "mountain out of molehill" situation?
Is there a term or phrase for this situation?
I didn't fill a form in fully at work as I was awaiting additional information to come, so sent it off with what info I had. It was an ...

How do I write a resume to reflect I was a stay at home mom since my last job?
I've been out of work almost 4 years taking care of my kids and now I'm planning on going back to work. Is there a way to say I've been a full time mom on my resume so companies ...

Do you think that it is fair that employers can look at myspace profile & use it as a decision for employment
This is a survey question for a research paper....

Can anyone answer legal questions pls?

What are the advantages of laying off a person as opposed to firing them?
I want to get rid of someone. Are there any advantages of Reduction In Force versus just firing them without a reason?
Additional Details
This happens all the time where I live. It ...

I was offered a job with a 90 day trial stipulation? Ever hear of one of these?
The 90 day trial stipulation basically states that you will begin all the new job responsibilities of a manager immediatly. However, you will continue being paid as a regular employee for 90 days. A...

Is it legal for an employor to not supply soap in the public restroom?.?
Isn't there some health hazard law against this? Especially considering
all epidemics and sicknesses out there?...

Is there a trade union omsbudsman?
trying to help a person who feels let down by her own trade union but is unable to go any further and I believe this person is not getting the help she is entitled to The information I have been ...

In the UK, what is the legal maximum number of hours you must take off between shifts?
To clarify, we have lots of shifts where there is a 12 hour turnaround (leaving at 7pm, then returning at 7am the next day) and in some cases less (leaving at 11pm one day, returning at 7am the next)....

Am i making the right choice to resign from current job while waiting for an unconfirm offer?
I might not get the offer. may just sit at home for nothing. The offer came to me out of sudden. At the same time I am not happy with my current job. I so much wanted the new offer !
Additional ...

Is this legal for a boss to do this?
the other week i forgot to clock out for a break at work so the boss took 30 minutes pay from me . is he allowed to do this as he couldnt prove i took a break?...

60 day evaluation - Am I getting fired? Something doesn't add up?
Trying to make a very long story short - So I found out through accident that I am getting a 60 day evaluation. I am a new employee (been here 60 days) and was told at the start of my employment that ...

Can u get a job when your under 16?

Does any body know if its legal to have camera on secretary while at work?

Additional Details
My boss has a camera and turns it on and records without my consent....

Can i work in another job while I am signed sick off from my first job?
Please UK only
Additional Details
Have been signed sick off by my doctor in a connection with work related stress in my first job....

On a resume is it okay for the address portion to have a P.O. box without looking unstable or unprofessional?

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Sunday, December 21, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links