Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law & Legal Jobs

Boss says i must arrive 15 minutes before my shift starts!!!?
Find answers to your legal question.

Boss says i must arrive 15 minutes before my shift starts!!!?

Just wondering if he is allowed to do this this 15 mintues is without pay and of great inconvineance to me as the timings of my bus mean i either get there 45 mins before shift starts or 2 mins before. but he docks my wages if i am not 15 mins early?.. BTW i am in the uk and would love to know if there is a law to the affect (like america) saying if my boss demands me 15 mins early he must pay me for those 15 mins.. etc
Additional Details
Just to clarify a few points
1 - yes its a serious question thank you.
2 - it applies to all 60+ staff not just me, so its not just against the late guys.
3 - i have never been late for a shift, as stated i have arrived two minutes before the start of shift and was penalised. my shift start is 6:30 ( thats what we get paid), i arrived 6:28 and i was docked until 06:45. event though i was ready to go at 06:30..
5 - as stated i have the oppertunity for two buses (i live 40 mins bus ride from work and dont drive) so i cant just leave 15 mins earlier.
6 - a simple maths equation tied for this (60 staff x 15 mins X 7 days a week = 105 Man hours a week he is taking from us all) so this is not a trival matter.

Fred F
What he wants is that you actually start work on time.

If you arrive in the building at the exact time of your shift then you are not ready to start work. By the time you have got ready, had a cuppa, chatted to your mates etc then it is probably 15-30 minutes after arriving that you actually do any work.

All your boss wants is for you to start on time. Perfectly reasonable request.

Chris F
Rating
I feel it would be reasonable for an employer to ask that you are ready and prepared for work at the commencement time.
To arrive soaking wet, out of breath and disheveled at the exact moment the clock turns to the start time would be unfair to your employer and your colleagues.
Hence the insisitence for an early clock-in, I should strongly imagine.

Ask your employer and explain the bus situation.

gail
What hours does your contract say you start?
Are you with a union? if not join one fast...
This request is unreasonable especially as your emloyer is stopping you 15 mins pay for clocking in 2 minutes earlier than your start time. You started at 6:30 you should be paid from 6:30 and it is illegal to deduct your pay if your contract states your start time is 6:30.
You don't state how many hours a shift you work or what type of work you do but i would ring acas and get some advise from them.
Or join a union for a couple of months and ask them to take up your case for you but evidence will be needed so start to keep a record pay slips etc

Ed P
Rating
This can be a no win deal .Complain and they will bend over backwards to dump you .A union would not less this go on .Read my lips

agooddub
Rating
By law, he will have to pay you for the 15 minutes.
In my previous factory we operated " a hot seat changeover " which meant that someone was manning a production belt at all times. We started at 8am. and the person from whom we were taking over from, didn't finish their shift officially till 8.10 am, and was paid for the extra 10 minutes. The changeover usually occurred around 8.05 am. This gave us time to change into our overalls and the other person to wash and change before they went home.
If the boss wants you ready to start at the dot of 8am, he has to pay you for the lead in time of 15 minutes.

Al Zymer
Times have changed. If you value your job, you have to be flexible, to a degree. Bear in mind the current high unemployment rate. Larger employers used to have to deal with strong Trade Unions for such matters; not so much now. Any protest or discussion about this with your boss, should be done together, not by yourself.

Cool Hal
Rating
When I worked in an office it was suggested that we get to the office 15 mins early - so that we can grab a coffee, have a chat with our co workers etc. It also prevented those who are constantly late being so. It is not always about getting additional work out of people like you suggest in point 6 but preventing the opposite happening. You probably realise that some people arrive at 6.30 on the dot - then go and hang their coat up, then go the toilet, grab a coffee speak to the person next to them about what they did the night before and actually start work at 6:45 - so on your simple maths he could lose 105 man hours a week (in a recession that is a lot). Then some people go for a ciggerate mid morning for 15 mins that they are being paid for amd another one in the afternoon - all of a sudden your boss is losing 3/4 of an hour per day from some employees.

What you need to do is sit down with him and explain your situation and look to a compremise - explain that you understand his position and why he is doing it, agree that in principle you support it, however you took the job knowing that it coincided with your buses (explain that you catch two) and ask him if there is someway you can agree to work this out. Most bosses live in the real world and it would be unreasonable of him to expect you to get there at 05:45 for a job that starts at 06:30 but unless you explain that to him he wont know each of his 60 employees travel arrangements.

Is there someone you could car share with?

SafeJourney
Rating
But you said nothing about getting into work -- hypothetically, of course -- AFTER the beginning of your shift. The reason I say this is because some people think they are being very clever when they tell a person who is chronically late, for instance, to be ready fifteen minutes or so earlier than necessary. This is their way of making sure the Johnny-come-lately does not come late.

You don't suppose your boss is one of those types, do you? Of course this scenario would not apply at all if you are a person who arrives to work on time each day.

Othniel
He has a reasonable request and you must adjust your schedule to your work. However, he should allow you to clock in early within reason.

uk_pindar
Rating
No , you can't be docked time for not being there when your not paid to be there, unfortunately if you go to the cab it will create a bad atmosphere at work, Why not leave 15 minutes early,
to answer the question ,yes we have employment laws and yes he is on dodgy legal ground.

Lorna
I think that stinks and he should not be allowed to do that. I don't know what the law says, though, but in general, our laws protect us more than they do in the US so it should.

Margaret S
I do not think it is an unreasonable request.

As others have said it is too easy for a business to lose out on man hours through a few minutes here and a few minutes there.

Punctuality doesnt men getting th ere on the dot, it means being there beforehand and ready to go.

So I repeat I do not think it an unreasonable request.

mack
Rating
Is this a serious question?

I shagged her rotten, yeah!
Rating
Take your azz to work like your boss says. I would sack you.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Should I tell the employer of my Federal felony which happened 7 years ago?
I had a Federal Felony on the year 2000. I am applying for a job. Should I mention in the application that I had that felony?...

Is it illegal to tell someone's boss you've received their resume?
Recently I sent my CV to another company in the same industry. Someone who works at that company is a friend of my boss and called him and told him about having seen my resume.

My boss ...

What to do if my employee refuses to take their break?
It is a law? They would rather work instead . should i force them to go or is it a work law?
Additional Details
labor laws in ny?...

Can I do anything about racial comments at my work place without risking my job?
My boss in Canada used some nice words the other day.
He said something strange like "those blacks" and I was like what? You mean black people- as in African Americans? And he was ...

Is it legal to work 2pm to 10pm then next day start 7am and finish 3pm?
what is legal time off between ...

Can someone qualify for unemployment when terminated?
The job I have is a Call Center job. You answer phones. If you don't reach their quality standards, you are put onto a monitoring plan. 2 consecutive months on the plan and you're ...

Working the night shift as a security guard?
ok so i have my orientation this thursday to become a security guard. im going to request the night shift and am pretty sure i can get it. if i do work the night shift what would i be guarding. i ...

What do to about ungrateful employees?
Anyone got a great Christmas/Holiday bonus story? We handed out bonuses and only one thank you....

Wife was sacked from job...is there anything she can do about this?
My wife worked for a law firm (in the UK) up until yesterday, having been there less than a year without any warning, verbal or written she was given a letter saying her work was not good enough ...

Can i have a job at age 13 in wisconsin?

Time card records being withheld from me... is this legal?
I use a time clock punch system to clock in and out everyday (it's the kind that uses your hand for identifying you) so there isn't anything for me to copy at the end of a work week.
<...

If an employer promises me a job and doesn't give it to me, can I file a lawsuit?
In June I went on an interview. They said i'll be getting the job by July 2. Then they said it is going to be delayed until July 9. Then they said it will be delayed for another 2 weeks. E...

If you are laid off from a company that downsizes/reduces the workforce due to lack of work?
Are they obligated to hire you back if work becomes available?

My company laid me off in October, with about 10 other people. I now see a job (exactly like mine) posted on a job board. B...

How old to you have to be to get a job and you drivers license?

Clique of Older Ladies at Work?
I am about 15 years younger than the other woman that work in my department. When we are all together, they huddle up and basically exclude me from the conversation. One on one, we are fine, but ...

Do you need to work your full notice period when leaving to start new job?
Been with the company for 4 years. Scotland UK....

Can a manager call an employer insist he comes in to work?

Termination of employment, mistake?!?
Hello. Well due to the chance of a new job, I handed in my weeks notice to my wrk last Thursday. I have since thought, and realised i made a mistake and would like to stay. Is it too late to withdraw ...

Is It legal For McDonalds To withhold my check?
i am 15 and live in kansas and was recently fired from my job working for Mc Donalds. They are refusing to give me my last check until i return the uniform. the uniform was never given to me by the ...

Is your employer supposed to give you the last paycheck on your last day of work by law?
What can you do when your ex employer refuses to pay you even when you gave the appropriate 2 week notice. My ex-employer seems that they do not want to pay me for the last couple of weeks that i ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Wednesday, October 1, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links