Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law & Legal Jobs

Can Companies hold an arrest against you in hiring?
Find answers to your legal question.

Can Companies hold an arrest against you in hiring?

technicanb
Rating
yes defineately

hollywood34731
Rating
100% yes!!!!

aronie
Depends on the company. A lot of companies don't hire felons. So if you have a felony on your record I would try to get it exponged or whatever the term is

blsdca
yes and no. not just an arrest, usually it takes a conviction- especially if the nature of your conviction has something to do with the type of job you will be doing (i.e. drunk driving if you are applying to be a bus driver, theft if applying at a bank, etc). and in CA it's in state law that if you have certain criminal convictions, you cannot be licensed to do certain jobs- like nursing, social work, etc. but i say try anyways, fully disclose everything and explain what happened and why it won't happen again.

burbam2001
Rating
Sure they can. That's why they ask you criminal questions on the application. It's a way to screen people out of the process.

j51ack
Yes. Hospitals do it all the time.

Ryan M
Rating
Depends on the crime and the type of job. Do you think a bank will hire a convicted bank robber or someone arrested for fraud to a teller position?

K Lancaster
Rating
I believe so. At least I know they can in Louisiana.
I guess it depends of the offensive. On pretty much all applications they ask if you have ever been arrested for a felony. If it is a felony (or drug charge) on your record, then you might have a problem.

Mr. Bugsme
I should hope so.

zeuz
Rating
An arrest or a conviction?

An arrest, I can't see why, if you were acquitted or charges were dropped.

A conviction -- that's an entirely different animal.

visvardis
Rating
yes if they conduct background checks credit checks will get you to

Cola
Rating
Only if you were convicted.

Starlight
Rating
Yes, depending on what the arrest was for. If you are applying as a bank teller and have been arrested for theft, chances are you won't get the job. However, if you are applying for manual labor / manufacturing, and the arrest was for a DUI, they may not care.

pamela
Arrest records are not the same as a conviction. Convictions can be held against you leaglly but not your arrest records. The company also has to notify in a proper way if they are not hiring you due to something they found in your background check or else they can be sued

Maalru3
Rating
Depends on what the arrest was for. Say for an unpaid ticket, most likely not, but for exmp. possession or DUI, then absolutely yes.

bigbaddermofo
As long as they don't discriminate, companies can use whatever hiring practices they want.

If they want to allow an arrest to bar you from employment, they have the right to do so as long as they hold that same standard to everyone that they employ. If they hold it against you and then hire someone else that has an arrest, then that is discrimination.

jjseifi
No-- it's illegal for them to not hire you because of that.

But, they will take it into account when you're up against someone else for the same job.

cnapatricia
Well i have two cases that was dismissed and I still can't get a job and they are misdeanmors. What has happen to this country, I used to go and talk with people and have a job in a day's time.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

My boss is going to fire tomorrow?
I have been sick most of last week, as well as monday and tuesday this week. I came in last thursday, but felt ill again that evening. My boss was angry that I didn't call in first thing in the ...

Can i get sacked for this????
Hi, Ive been signed off for depression (im 18) im doing an apprenticeship so i learn while i work. Ive recently been signed off due to depression, as i will be missing out at work, can i get sacked ...

Have you ever been unemployed for 2 months?
sound's like ridiculous but just to know. I've gradueated from my college and I still find myself unempoloyed around 2 months. honestly, i couldn't let myself like this way and I want ...

Can an employer in the UK insist that you work overtime,if you refuse can he take disciplinary action?
the overtime is paid i just dont want to do it....

Is it fair to pay a man more?
If I went to the same school as a man. We got the exact same education. Which cost us the same amount of money. And we both had the same GPA. Why would the man make more money than me?

Would you warn him?
If you found out that a bloke at work had texted a woman at work (not a nasty text, but gone through her personal details to get her number and doesn't even talk to her at work) and you and the ...

Can an employer legally require you to divulge a second job or self-employment?
Recently, my company announced that all workers would have to divulge any second jobs or self-employment, and furthermore, have them approved (or denied) by the General Manager as a condition for ...

Am i entitled to a break ?
I work for 7 hour, 3 in the morning with an hour dinner (unpaid) and 4 in the afternoon. Am i entitled to a break in the afternoon and if so should i be paid for it ?
Additional Details
N...

What if my career test says...?
I am a sophomore in high school and I am leaning toward the law field for a career. My nature is very soft and emotional and people tell me I cant handle the competitive field of law.

R...

Workplace ethics: My spouse strongly suspects the boss listens in on incoming phone calls at work. Thoughts?
The boss also apparently monitors conversations. Legal issues here or better to just move on?...

Is putting a sign up at work gross misconduct if it is against the company?

Can an employer terminate your employment if you become a patient under the mental health act 1983?

Minimum wage!!!?
Im a minor (16) and i work at a Big Boys and im getting paid 6.50 and hour which i just found out is under The minimum wage which just recently got bumped to 715 and even before that i was getting ...

Laid off work is it legal?
Is it legal for my boss to lay me off work without ...

Can you sue???
Quick question...

Can you sue your employer if you work 12 hours a day and only get 30min break working on a wharehouse?
Additional Details
I live in Houston TX 77058
<...

What do you think of Magistrates?? Just interested?
My personal opinon is that they are;
Uneducated social climbers..

Simply because they require a Court Clerk to outline legal principles for them, they have approximately 4 weeks legal ...

I was recently terminated from my job for violating company policy. Should I divulge this on applications ?
I was employed as a department manager for 11 years with my last employer. I always had acceptable or better annual reviews. I went outside of company policies to complete my job one day and was ...

My son doing night shift is this legal?
my son and his friend are both under 18 and they are been told to do night shift for royal mail which was done through a agency called reeds. having done some research into it i found that it is not ...

Will a law degree leave me cursed with a boring life of contracts and paperwork?
I feel like I have made the wrong choice, should I just finish?...

What is the best job title for my new job?
My new job will entail using my skills as Office Manager, Senior Paralegal and Marketing Manager/Coordinator. My boss recommended Office Manager, Senior Case Manager but I don't know. S...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Thursday, August 21, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links