Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law & Legal Jobs

Can I be fired over my school schedule?
Find answers to your legal question.

Can I be fired over my school schedule?

I am a college student working part-time for a legal attorney office as an Office Assistant for about 3 months now. When I was hired on they understood that I was a college student going to school and working at the same time, and it was clearly stated in my resume and repeated throughout my interview process. They claimed that they were okay with the fact that I went to school and up until this point have made accomodations with me when it came to school.

When asked about my availability for the upcoming spring semester, I told them that my availability was going to slightly change and now they have a big problem with it. Since then my boss has been nothing but rude and inconsiderate to me, and even told another employee who told me they were going to "let me go when they found my replacement". Is this discrimination and can I file a claim against them with the labor board? Also, will I be able to collect umemployment if they fire me over my school schedule
Additional Details
I forgot to mention that although I have been informed of a possible termination, I have not had any verbal or written notices of any wrongdoing. So how can I be fired for something I have not done, only that my school schedule has slightly changed? I'm still able to work for them, just that I will be coming in an hr later certain days and leaving an hr early on one day. Also, how is it right that my boss can discuss my business with another employee about my possible termination?

ajsnskool
Rating
No offense here but, what makes you think an employer is required to constantly work around you, regardless of your changing schedule? They have a business to run and need someone they can count on being there when they need them there. They don't have to continue to accomodate you. The availability you stated in your interview no longer applies as you admit your schedule will be changing. Your schedule no longer meets the needs of their business and they have no obligation to keep you. There's no discrimination involved. Its a good business decision. You'll need to understand that and move on to another job that fits better with your schedule. Depending on what state you live in, employers generally have the right to fire you for any reason or no reason, just as you have the right to quit. As for unemployment, you'll have to check your state regulations since we don't know what state you live in. What is it with the sense of entitlement people have?

Kaska
Rating
They are not going to say they are firing you over your school schedule. They will have a new reason to cover that up.

Unemployment you may depending how long your on the job. I'd apply anyway if fired.

Judy
Rating
You don't say where you are. My answer assumes US - if you are in a different country the answer might be different.

You aren't available to work when they need you - so yes of course they can fire you, and you are very unlikely to be eligible for unemployment unless the firm decides to just let it go through and not tell the unemployment people why you were dismissed.

Actually in pretty much all states they could fire you for no reason, although then you might be able to collect unemployment. But unless you have more work history than 3 months, in most states you would not be eligible to collect.

Discrimination? No, there are strict legal definitions of that, and having conflicts with a school schedule is not covered as discrimination.

Basically, you don't have a right to a job - the company has a right to employ who they want, when they want.

The comment to the other employee wasn't professional but isn't illegal either.

Chris Z
Rating
I can't see any reason why they can't let you go. Your schedule obviously has changed and although you haven't come right out and said it, your availability is most likely less than previously. If your schedule no longer meets their needs, they have the right to let you go. Think about it, they are attorneys. Don't you think they have their bases covered. As far as unemployment, it would depend upon the number of hours you have worked.
My suggestion is to be on top of this situation and find another position where they are comfortable with you new schedule.

Expert Realtor
They CAN say that they are going to fire you over your school schedule and it is 100% legal to do so.

Terminating you because of changed availability that does not meet their business needs, is not illegal. It's not based on religion, race, etc...and going to school is not a protected class.

Sorry, but considering you are working for an attorney's office, I think they have that base covered pretty well.

Most likely you cannot collect unemployment because small employers are not required to pay into unemployment insurance.

Lilo
I know in the state of Georgia a business doesnt need a reason to fire an employee. I'd check your state laws asap...google the employment laws for your state.. I doubt they'd fire you, they used to be in school at one point too. Seeing your in a legal attorney office you need to know your rights though...

sticky nikki
Rating
You can sue- but that would involve the burden of proof on your part. Unless you can get your co-worker to come to court and testify IN FRONT of your boss- who will probably still be thiers at the time- that the boss did in fact tell them that- you're not going to have any proof that they fired you over your schedule.

mick
is it legal for my company to put on my review that i need to be in school to help benefit my future, and then when i am about to start tell me no because it doesn't benefit the company? and the elder employees (that i have Seniority over by a good year to 2 years) need to leave at a certain time to beat traffic?

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Is it legal in CA to lay off an employee that is currently on Maternity Leave?

Additional Details
Or employer should wait for the employee to come back to work first ?...

Where can a convicted felon find a job in CA not in the manual labor field?
My boyfriend is a convicted felon, and has been working odd jobs in manual labor. He is having difficulty maintaining this due to his health. Because of his conviction, it is nearly impossible to ...

Am I entitled to a reference?
I have asked a previous employer for a reference, and all I need is confirmation of employment dates and job duties, but they have refused on Data protection grounds. Is there any legal obligation to ...

Im doing a interveiw online for my job and it says..easy 10 points?
compared to your peers,how often do you lead others?
-much less often
-somewhat less often
-about the same
-somewhat more often
-much more often

whats better?...

I accepted a higher paying job just this morning. I think my parents hates me. What should I do?
I am a young lawyer. Ive been working for my dad's firm for 2 years. Last week, I was offered a higher paying job by a new company. I accepted it, not only because of the higher pay, but more so ...

Do Employers Outright Reject Applicants with Federal Misdemanors?
I have had some trouble lately trying to get a job. I've applied with an airline, a number of security companies, etc.

Only, I never get an interview. I submit well-written, ...

I need a job but im not old enough so i need some money???
Im a teen! And i want a new cell phone!!
Additional Details
Im 14! and my family is going through hard times and i really need to find some money to help them and to get my cell phone.......

Now i think i just pissed everyone at my job off?
i reported to HR this morning that they had bug bombed the place over the weekend and didn't cover anything or even remove the cans...anyway, they sent me home but called a bit ago to tell me ...

Am I entitled to some kind of legal compansation for being wrongfully terminated and not given my pay?
I was sick and not able to attend work 11/26-12/1. I was able to return 12/3 and my boss called and said not to come in, my shift has been covered and rudly hung up on me. Because of that ...

What subjets do you need to do at high school to be come a lawyer?
what subjets do you need to do at high school to be come a ...

Can co-workers talk about their wages?
I am just curious to know the exact wording and law behind this; can co-workers talk freely about their respective wages legally?

I had an HR course a few years back and my professor ...

I am a retired secretary - I am going to an interview at K-Mart tomorrow--do I need a resume?
My past experience has nothing to do with what I am applying for and I wasn't told to bring one - anyone who already has been interviewed, did you bring a resume? Were you sorry you didn't ...

I'm getting a written warning & a disciplinary hearing at work, what are my rights & can they sack me?
What are my rights?
I'v been ill alot because of a weakened immune sustem & my boss wants to get me out because he really doesn't like me.
My disciplinary hearing is tomorrow &...

Does anyone have co-workers who walk around the office in their SOCKS? I am so offended by this!?
I am at a huge law firm in downtown Boston and not only have a caught a secretary (Female) and male paralegal doing it, I routinely see a male Partner doing it!!! You can hear the pounding of their ...

My boss pays me below minimum wage, is there any way I could anomalously report him?
I am 17 and live in Chicago. I work at a pizza place (take-out and delivery only), and I get paid $5.50 and the minimum wage is $6.50 (soon to be $7.50 as of 7-1-07). I have been working there since S...

I work in CA. I'm scheduled at 8 but i alwyas arrive 5-10 min. early but dont get paid? is it legal?

Hey, can anyone give me a couple of good reasons for pursuing a career in business law? Thank you!?

Additional Details
Ok, people aren't answering my question properly. I AM a law student; people are giving me inane answers and aren't telling me exactly what business law ...

What legal action can I take against my employer?
I work as a server at a well-known chain restaurant and I earn $X.XX amount per hour (below minimum wage) because I keep all tips that I get. At the end of the day when I log out, I enter how many ...

Employment Agency Causes Job Loss?
I was headhunted, verbally offered a job, told it was 110% guaranteed and instructed to hand in notice at current co. as I was going on holiday and they were awaiting contract to send to me. Come ...

Can legal action can be taken?
I was "laid off" from my job (i have only had this job for about 4 weeks) by a lower rank boss last friday. Come to find out I was'nt laid off, he told my Main boss that I quit so he ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Saturday, November 1, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links