Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law & Legal Jobs

Can I choose to work 7 days a week in the U.S.?
Find answers to your legal question.

Can I choose to work 7 days a week in the U.S.?

I have chosen to work 7 days a week in my department since January because there is never ending overtime and good pay. Yesterday my boss stopped Sundays because he said "it may be against the law". I have the energy and the desire and I want to work 7 days for a while. Is this against the Labor law in United States
Additional Details
Add...I work in New York State

michr
Rating
there is no federal law that requires a day off each week but some states do require one day off in seven. the states that require it do not distinguish between volunteering to work or it being mandatory. employers may make overtime mandatory as long as you are paid accordingly but that fact does not change the law in the states that require a day off each week.

edit your question with your state
OR
this site list all the state's departments of labor and you can look for yourself:
http://www.dol.gov/esa/contacts/state_of.htm

EDIT:
New York does require 24 hours of continuous time off each week "Day-of-Rest". there is no limit on how many hours in a day an adult can work but one day a week they must be off.
http://www.labor.state.ny.us/workerprotection/laborstandards/faq.shtm#6

lardawg54
You can work around the clock if your employer can afford you.

Judy
Rating
Your boss doesn't have to let you work any particular number of hours, so he can say "no Sundays". No, it isn't against the law though, but it IS his choice, not something YOU get to choose.

Captain Tenneal
No, as long as you're an adult

FRANK
There could be state laws limiting work schedule. Some industries, like trucking, have maximums to works schedule for safety reasons.

Big Toe
You may not agree, but your boss is likely seeing that you are wearing out or not performing like you imagine you are (because you are over tired).... Sounds like he is giving you a chance to show your maturity and say that a day off would be good for you as you did have something special you wanted to do.....

If he/she again suggests you not work a 7th day in the near future, then it's time to ask if your performance might be showing the strain of working with no days off - that you don't feel physically that it is affecting you, but you respect the bosses opinion..... puts you in a win-win situation with the boss that way... boss gets to make decision, you show your allegiance to the business and respect for boss' opinion...... makes you look like promotion possibility in future.....

But, do give consideration to the old saying, "all work and no play......

‚ô•STREAKER‚ô•¬©‚Ąó‚Ć
Rating
no it's not against the law if you are doing it volunterraily. It's only against the law if they company forces you to do that.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Criminal Record and Internship?
I'm going to be a senor in college majoring in Business Admin. Next summer, I want to get an internship at a financial or accounting company. However, I when I was 18, I commited a misdemeanor ...

Is it legal in New Jersey that if you work over 40 hours per week, a company does not have to pay time & 1/2?
The company that I just started to work for says that if I work over 40 hours per week that I just get straight time and NO time and 1/2, does anyone know if that is legal?...

I have an interview 2morrow and wondering what would be appropriate?
I have applied for a Security Account Manager position. I am use to lame jobs but just got my associates and this job requires 3 years experience which i have 4 years (in security) and a associates ...

Is it legal for an employer to take you off the schedule?
for a week and then bring you in write you up for things that are not valid or true and then suspend you under false pretenses?...

Is it legal for an employer to ask for info concerning attendance dates in high school or grade school?
I have to know because I'm filling out an application and it's the 1st app I've ever filled out that asked me for that info. I graduated over 6 years ago but I hardly ever need to ...

Is it possible for an employer to accept an employee for a job if his last employer refuses to give reference?
I am working with a private comapany in London. I am on work permit. I want to move to local council jobs....

Can i take Un-paid Leave?
I enjoy working, but have run out of holidays and will still be requiring time off in the near future.

What does the law say? Can you show me the law online somewhere?...

How dose the verbal,written,final warning system work?

Can a past employer say negative things about you from getting a job can they stop you from getting a job?

Legal to give a bad reference over the phone?
My current employer is mean and vindictive, so when someone leaves for a new job she always says nasty things about them when she is called for a reference. I hear her and think--oh that is so wrong ...

A secretary makes more than me. I am an accountant. How do I handle this?
I work as a payroll accountant. She(secretary) joined about 6 months before me. She was working in Accounts payable, but she couldnt do her job and was demoted to a secretary. She graduated with an ...

If you leave your workplace to do a work related errand is your boss still responsible for your safety?

Unpaid Mandatory work meeting without pay?
Iím trying to prove to someone that it is illegal for an employer to have a unpaid mandatory meeting. I canít find a legal source. Her boss made her go to a meeting at her house on a Sunday. She ...

My boss said if I screw up he'll kill me, and then later in the day for no reason he punched me in the face.?
What should I do, I want to quit now but I'm scared of him. I'm just a 19 year old university student and he is a very scary guy who works in the nightclub industry. I want out very badly....

Can i be terminated from my job while out on medical leave?
i was terminated from my joe after going out on medical leave for 3 months i had a return date but was termed 3 week before returning to work company policy is that you can be out for 6 ...

Can an employer legally terminate you based on an inaccurate date in your past employment history?
I was terminated by Citigroup because the date on one of the jobs that I had listed on my application didn't match what they verified through that employer. The start date that I had listed was ...

I may have a job at shells gas station but there doing a background check & i have a warrant?
because i was driving without my liecense and they gave me a court date & I didnt show, which means a warrant will be issued out.will the warrant show up on my background check? and hold me from ...

Collecting unemployment?
My husband got fired from his job and he says he is going to go collect unemployment. At what percentage does it pay? What are reasons you would be denied?...

My former employer is bad mouthing me?
my former employer is accusing me of taking 200 dollars i did not do it.but they put it in my file that i did and they said i signed a paper saying i did, but i never signed on type of paper how can ...

Is it illegal for employers to require a photo with your resume?
I've been told its a form of discrimination, because they can use a photo to discriminate on the basis of age, gender, race, etc. Does anyone know of laws to this effect? A link would be ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Saturday, December 20, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links