Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law & Legal Jobs

Can I get fired for taking 2 weeks of unpaid leave?
Find answers to your legal question.

Can I get fired for taking 2 weeks of unpaid leave?

friends of mine are moving cross country and asked me to help them move but when i asked my employer for the time off they said if I take 2 weeks I would be fired. Is this right? is this legal? the requested time off is not till August so I gave them 3 months notice.

BobB
The only reason they would be required to give you time off is for Family Medical Leave Act (such as having a baby). It does seem unreasonable though, 3 months notice should be plenty. That gives you 3 months to find a new job that treats you better and lets you take an unpaid vacation.

queen
Rating
Of course it's legal. You asked, they said no. If you do it anyway, they have cause to fire you.

Your employer still needs someone to do your work, otherwise they wouldn't have you as an employee. They can't very well hire someone for just those two weeks.

Judy
Sure it's legal. You are supposed to be at work, and aren't planning to be - they have no obligation to give you unpaid time off.

Pyar
Yes . they can fire you for taking an unauthorized leave . think about it .. Even though you gave them 3 months notice ... they probably need you to cover for vacations .

danny14551
It is legal. Just because you asked for it does not mean your employer has to give it to you. If you leave for two weeks expect not to have a job when you come back.

LONDONER ©
Rating
Your allowed your quota of annual leave (about 4 weeks per year I think it is) so provided you haven't used up all your holiday then it's none of their business how you spend your annual leave.

So the point is if:

1. You still have 2 weeks or more of annual leave to take and

2. You've given them sufficient notice of the requested leave

You should be entitled to it

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

My fiance is a convicted felon and needs a job bad. is there any jobs or programs u know of that will hire him
we live in tampa and we've tried meny places and web sites for help but we refuse to give up....

My contract at work isn't being renewed? . . .?
i have been told that my contract at work isn't going to be renewed. i have worked there for a year and a half on 6 month contracts.
the reason that i was given is that they want to re ...

I have been cussed, threatened at work. I went to the principal, assistant principal. But nothing was ever don
today i lost my job because i couldn't take anymore. what do i do ...

I recently started a new job and think I will need to fire someone ?
This individual is very disruptive and intimidating to other staff. What is the legal way to do this, I thought it was a case of 3 written warnings and that's it. I'm in Scotland could ...

Should i be a lawyer or a crime detective?
i realy not sure which one because i love both but one can be better. sssoooooooooo helppppppppppppppppp ...

Will a juvenile criminal record keep me from getting into law school or passing the bar?
I've got a great academic record, nice LSATs, and a pretty hot resume full of a lot volunteer and civic activity.

But when I was 13 I was adjudicated of a couple of crimes (one 1st ...

I had an employer fire me due to not working a shift that I put on my application that i was not available?
I was employed by a local restaurant as a second job and was recently terminated after not working Thanksgiving. On my application I stated I was only available to work on Sat and Sun from 6am to 5 ...

I am italian and I am asked to bring a copy of my criminal record to an interview for a job in America.?
I discovered what a criminal record is and I know that I did not do anything ( I have never been arrested, charged...). So i do not need to bring anything?...

Do job applicants have the right to know why employment is denied to them from that company?
I was denied employment and told they don't they don't have to give a reason....

Can I be Rightfully Terminated?
Can I be terminated for calling in sick to work for caring for my daughter who has had the flu twice, 2 colds and a febrile seizure due to a high fever in the past 2 months? The past 2 weeks I have ...

Can my old boss get her job (now mine) back?
Two weeks ago, my boss decided to put in her notice and move out of state as an adventure to find another job. I was offered and accepted her position. She did not show up for work the last two week ...

Attorney or Lawyer?
Is there a difference?...

Working conditions.....anything that can be done?
I work in a "sales" like office job.
I started in July '07. the "room" i worked it was always going from hot to cold. It had a 'warehouse' type feel to it and ...

Teen Jobs Need Help! In California do you need working permits?
Just wanted to know if a 15 yr old like me needs a working permit or age certificate or other paperwork, to work for a grocery, shops, fastfood, etc.... as cashiers, server, etc....
If I need a ...

Can i resign without giving more than 10 days notice period. and what if my resignation is not accepted?
I am working with an Indian private Bank. I have recently got a good offer in another company and they are ready to pick my notice period pay, as they want me to put on a poject which is very ...

Divorce lawyer refund unused retainer if couple reconciles?
My husband and I split nearly 6 years ago. I had hired and atty at the time and gave a retainer fee. Only a portion was used. We never finalized a legal speration or a divorce. Is the atty obligated ...

Am i being harassed at work?
I was working when my boss came up behind me and started yelling at me in front of all my co-workers. He asked me if i was stupid and if i knew how to do my job? Then when i apologized he told me to ...

Anyone know anything about employment law?
Hey everyone,
Im having a problem and want a little expertise in the subject of employment law in the state of Virginia. My boss has been making our group work mandatory overtime since August.....

Is this right or should I persue an attorney?
I have cont ed this yr to renew my license with the state and it does say it can be waived poss for a med cond.I have a problem sitting for the 7 hrs and cant sit tht long ,I as of this yr have ...

Im a law student, but somehow, I secretly wish I were a writer. How do I compromise?
Please note: Im an international student (from the Maldives) so I dont have the priveledge of changing courses as you can do here in the UK. So for me a transfer would be impractical and unfeasible. B...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Wednesday, April 16, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links