Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law & Legal Jobs

Can I sue for an employer offering a job and then taking it back?
Find answers to your legal question.

Can I sue for an employer offering a job and then taking it back?

I recently got a call from an employer after an interview offering me a job with "22 -25 hours a week." I asked her on the phone if I could start today, and she said that she would call me back. She never did, so I went into the office and asked her when I was starting. At that point, she told me that she is moving a current employee from a different department to the position that I was hired for and that I might get "some" hourse now but none in the future. What can I do about this??

[[moNNA]]
nope..get another job

silhouetteincounter
Rating
Find another job, there reserve the right to hire/fire you at any given time without warning in a 90 day period,

Sorry Dude
Good Luck

acermill
Nothing, since you had no contract with the employer. It was rather tacky of her to not call you back and inform you of her change in decision, but she certainly has the right to do so.

Mike M
Rating
Sure .You can sue anybody, for any reason. But you won't win this case.

Kelv C
Rating
Not a lot i'm afraid, you only have any real legal rights after a contract of employment has been signed.

Before that there is no concrete agreement between you and an employer.

No, employers have the top hand in this situation.

SeriousQuestion
Any employer can always decide against employing someone else or not not employing anyone else at all. They have to show a valid reason for not employing you.

Similarily, any employee can sign the offer letter and then take it back!

rhsaunders
Rating
No. Look for another job.

Kellie
Nothing, unfortuantely your not officially part of the company. And even if you were, unless it was under contract or by union you wouldn't qualify to fight this. In fact the person she is moving into the position that already has another position in the company has seniorty. You have to get your foot in the door first, before you can think of weather or not she should have given you a position.

stifflergal
probably not too much.. would you really want to work there after that anyway? If they treat you that way in the beginning whats the point? What happens if they go to their knees.. hire you for the hours you wanted... Doesn't it seem like they'd sink low enough to just fire you for some stupid reason... I think you should just go after another employer who's actually worth your time and effort.

Dragon Artist
If there were no written signed contracts involved, then "No", you can't.

ME!
Unfortunatly because you didnt sign a contract or work there at all there is nothing you can do.

Mustbe
Rating
Sorry but don't waste your time.
What happened a employee heard of the job opening and put a bid in on it..
I'm sure you will be next in line.
Lots of Luck

nicholebeth
Rating
Nothing, really. You never became an employee, and she simply retracted an offer that never was enacted.

Even if you had, your employment would likely have been "at will", meaning they can let you go any time for any reason.

J P
Your only recourse would be if you had an offer in writing. Without that, you pretty much can't do anything, unfortunately. You could make a formal complaint to her supervisor that you were offered the position and then it was filled internally, but that probably won't do anything.

Sarah Smile
Nothing, not without a contract anyway. The same thing happened to me except I quit my job of 5 years for the position only to have the new employer just stop taking my calls.....

green l
Employers have the upper hand when deciding to hire might have been different if you had signed paper work like W-2 or something like .. Keep looking you will find something better!

Isabella
Rating
Talk to a labor lawyer. An offer of a job may be binding in some states. Good luck!

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

My employer breaks open my personal cabinet at work without my permission while I'm on medical leave. Help!?
I'm working in Shanghai while I am in Singapore now recovering from a surgery and am on medical leave.

My co-worker called to tell me about what my boss did (Above). Anybody around ...

What jobs can i get at 15?
hi, i'm 15 and i want a job, so i can save up money to take my parents to watch a show in the west end, i have been round a number of places and asked for a job, but everywhere says the same, ...

Is it worth it for a 31-year-old woman to go to law school?
I got my bachelor's late in life in humanities and am contemplating law school. I think I can get into at least tier 2 schools.
But let's say I go and graduate. By then, I will be ...

Can I get a job as a police officer?
I'm thinking of a career change at the moment, and I'd really like to be a police officer, I have just two things that might hold me back though:

1) I'm partially deaf in ...

Is this legal? I thought I lived in America?
I've had this lady call me from a wireless company about a job twice already because she liked my app. she wanted to schedule an interview for thursday or friday. I was pretty pumped because ...

On leaving your job would you 'break the law' by not giving notice?

Can lawyers have families?
If I go to law school and I pass the bar and I get my career going can I still have a successful family? I really want to do this but I refuse to sacrafise a family for it because I want to have a ...

Has my employer broken the law ?
Has my employer broken any laws by using a keylogger to gain access to my online logins and passwords.
I have details that show my boss used 'keylogging' software to obtain personal ...

Is this unfair practice at work?
Our company have launced a new product, and they are going to give Full Time staff a free product each.

However, the permanent Part time staff are not going to get anything.

D...

Can an employer fire you when you hand your resignation in?
a friend of mine handed in their two weeks resignation today. They found another job and gave their job the proper amount of notice. Tricky because they went through a corporate pimp(horrible nj temp ...

Admit that I was terminated or not put in my resume?
this emplyer terminated me in lessthen 3 months, the said I was not performing, I can't go back to my previous job cuz there's no opening I started a good career in retail and this las move ...

Can a verbal warning be given over the phone?
Can an employer give a verbal warning over the phone or should it be done face to face?...

Is this legal in the UK?
I currently work a 10 hour shift in a cafe, 9am-7pm. I have a 20 minute lunchbreak at 3pm, but is this legal? This is the only break I get all day......

Am I allowed to verify previous employment without an applicant's signed consent?
I have a pool of 10 potential candidates for a position as a truck driver within my company. We have a standard form that we send to applicant's previous employers to verify previous employment ...

Is it legal for a highschool student to be working overnight?
I am 17 in Ontario, Canada, working at an overnight Mcdonald's. On the weekends people part time (majority of which are teens) have to be able to work overnights (10pm-6am) on at least one of ...

I have just been told by my employer that i am no longer needed.?
I was employed as an operational manager and have had no one 2 ones or appraisals. i have been working for the company for 5 months. No notice or warning. Can they do this?
The only reason they ...

Are there any legal jobs for kids under 12 years old in USA?

Have i been unfairly dissmised from work?
i have recently took three days off work (this week) and today i recived a letter terminating my employment . i have been in the job scince june last year do i have any rights?...

I need a lawyer is anyone a lawyer?
I went to lunch today and got a southern style chicken sandwich from McDonalds, took a bite and realized that the chicken was completely raw.

Now I donít have lots of money, how much would ...

How would you deal with haters at work?

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Monday, July 28, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links