Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law & Legal Jobs

Can a potential future employer find out that you have collected unemployment benefits in the past?
Find answers to your legal question.

Can a potential future employer find out that you have collected unemployment benefits in the past?

Chef Frisbee
Rating
not to my knowledge

charlotterobo
Rating
If your in the uk and you are asked the question " when was the last time you were unemployed " you have to tell the truth because your employer will ask to see your p45 and everything you earned for that year is on it , he will be able to tell by the amount it say`s on there that you were unemployed .

Mel
In the U.S,, no, they cannot. The only entity who is involved in an employee's unemployment account payments (besides the UI office and the employee) is the employer of record whose account is being charged.

For example, if you left Employer A and were found eligible to receive UI, Employer's A's UI account for you will be subject to charges, and the UI office will send a statement to Employer A advising them of this fact. Prospective Employer B has not paid anything to UI on your behalf, and thus will receive nothing from the UI office to that effect.

The only exception would be if the employer asks to see your W2 and/or 1099 earnings statement for the year. Some (very few) employers do this in the interview process so that they know what the starting point is for salary negotiations. If this happens, you may be asked to explain where the earnings came from if you stated that you were unemployed.

Either way it isn't a big deal - if employers refused to hire anyone who'd collected UI, they'd have a really small labor pool to draw from. :)

Good luck!

John
No, it's private information. Unemployment benefits come from the state and only you and your state have that information.

biker_beeotch
And they need to know this why? The employer only pays a percent into the fund, the state pays the rest. You have to have just cause to collect. (laid off, unjustly fired) The only way they might find out is to ask you out right-which you can refuse to answer or if you have idle time on your resume or you tell them. It isn't a crime to collect them.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Is law a feasible career for someone who will move every 2-4 years?
I am interested in pursuing a career in law, but I've had trouble finding information about the MBE and how extensively it qualifies you. My husband is in the Air Force and I'm concerned ...

Can an employer legally take away money from someones pay?
My boyfriend works as a mechanic for a car dealership. He works flag time which is like full commission. His employer has started a new program because customer service shops have fell. The new ...

Employment Law question:?
I have been a college professor with the same institution for 5+ years. In July, I signed my 12-month contract, and let them know in August, that I would be resigning as of Dec 31, 2008.

T...

I Want To Become A Lawyer?
I am going to graduate high school this year and i would like to know how long does it take to become a lawyer and which kind of lawyer makes the best money to support a family if in the future my ...

What does it take to become a lawyer?
I know that it involves law school, but up to how long do you have to go? Do you have to do anything else? What exactly does being a lawyer entail? I'm not stupid, I know you have to go to court ...

What is a career that isnt a doctor or lawyer that makes a lot of money?

My company never invites the accounting department to company parties is this legal?
The company that I work for never invites the accounting department to any of the company parties. We had a 30 year anniversary and the company invited every other department and the customers to ...

Is it legal to work when you're 13?
I'm 13 and my bday is in september so i wanna work a lil ovr the summer but im not sure if i ...

Is it legal for our landlord to be checking our mail?
I live in Houston Texas and my husband is the manager of the mobil home park where we live. We also live on the same property as the landlord in one of his houses however we have seperate mailboxes. H...

Can I take legal action against employer if im terminated for not offering my services outside of job descript?
Ok I have not been terminated as of now but there is a giant crossroad coming that I cant avoid. Basically, I am an IT person who also has a background in multimedia. I obviously made a mistake of ...

Is being a doctor, lawyer, engineer are the best professions?
i mean y is there a stereotype that people in those professions are genius's,,,i mean don't other profession have the same respect? people who are doctors treated as the best people existed ...

What are the advantages of studying Law as a career?

Unemployment- i put in my notice at a job that I would have gotten terminated soon im i eligible for benefits?
scottsdale az, I put in my two week notice first before i was probably going to get terminated, they ended up letting me go immediately and did not pay my for my two weeks. Im I eligible for ...

If you are a good, natural, liar.....does that mean you would make a DYNAMIC attorney?

Where can i find cases of employment at will?

What are the dangers of becoming a Lawyer?

Qulified Lawyer Doesn't Know How To Practice In The UK! Help Please! Xx?
Hi everyone! I am asking this question on behalf of a friend. He is from Iran/Iraq (I am having a mind blank right now so I cannot remember which one!) and he is a qualified lawyer. He now lives here ...

I have no refrences?
i have no refrences i left school about 2 years ago and cant get a refrence from teachers because i had a arguement with all them i can i get a job is there sny jobs that dont require ...

Has anyone ever received a job offer from Hail University in saudia Arabia? if so how did it work out.?

Hours working?
My employer scheduled me to wrok 2 hours next week. I live in MA dont thye have to pay me for at least 3 hours worth of work by law?

Thanks I know I read it some where, but I need to be ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Saturday, November 22, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links