Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law & Legal Jobs

Can an employee be sacked for not accepting a pay cut?
Find answers to your legal question.

Can an employee be sacked for not accepting a pay cut?

There have been rumours of job cuts being proposed in my company, however nothing has been put forward by anyone in writing. if a pay cut is proposed, and i reject it, can i be sacked for not accepting the pay cut?

thks
Additional Details
thanks for your responses. does the proposed pay cut have to be in writing? i am assuming a verbal conversation of a paycut has no meaning.

secondly is there a statutory consulting period for me to consider the paycut?

SmartA$$
Rating
yes, your options become work at the new salary offered or your fired.

Doctor Deth
Rating
you would probably have to take the pay cut or lose your job - I can't imagine there would not be a downside to refusing the paycut - if that was the plan, no one would take the paycut and everything would go along as it had been, which obviously it can't or they would not be asking for a paycut

One Step Ahead
Rating
You have two choices--to accept the cut and stay there or quit and hope that you find another job that will pay more.

Many companies are trying not to laid people off so they are cutting paid days or cutting the hourly rate for all employee.

pigseatapples
Your idea would certainly suggest that you are unwilling to work with the company. Even the employees could resent you and make life quite difficult for you to stay. When things do turn around most likely you will be that last person they would want to give a pay increase to.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

What is the youngest age someone can work?
I am 12 years old and I was offered a job. The job is to make web pages. It would be an individual contract. I would be making webpages and however long it took me, I would get money per hour. Is ...

I'm American with a Law Degree - what are my job options if I want to work in another country?
I'd like to live and work somewhere outside of the US. I have a BS in International Business and a JD. What looks good? If you're reading this and happen to be an employer...let me know if I...

I have a job interview tommorow??
I have a job interview at a small law firm for a receptionist position, what kinds of questions can I expect? I really want to nail this interview. Thanks....

If u get terminated from job?
ok i used to work at old navy and i was terminated for violation of company policy but i wanted to know since gap owns old navy and bananna republic etc stores would gap store hire me since its a ...

For pre-employment drug screens where the hair is tested?
Can an employer legally take hair from any part of the body?...

Questions on becoming a Police Officer?
My husband has two OWIS and a few alcohol tickets from his teen years. He is 26 now and his dream job is to be a Police officer.. He has and is currently taking college classes in Criminal Justice.. W...

Among these 3 profession, Doctor, Lawyer and Teacher, which one you would prefer to be and why?

What can i do about a former employer who stopped payment on my last paycheck?
My former employer owed me about $4600 in Per diem and expenses. I asked him "may I have it? Yes? or No?" He said "no". So I resigned from the company with the idea that NOW he ...

What recourse do I have concerning an "online work at home" SCAM. ?
These people will not leave me alone. They've been calling for the last two months and I keep telling them I'm not interested, take me off the list and stop calling. I got a call last ...

Can I refuse to do a job at work because the equipment I have been provided is inappropriate ? to my health.?
I think I know the answer is definetly yea as we are all responsible for our own health and safety, I have had a serious back injury and can only use upright vacuum cleaners and we have none as they ...

What do i do i stole at my recent employer and cant get a job now but did not get Convicted?

I have HR issue with a new hire?
1. The person who used to have my job hired 2 people 1 claimed to have a MBA but, the privacy act keeps us from verifying it as the school only gives proof of attendance. Is there a legal way to go ...

Question about job termination, help please.?
I have worked for a Tennessee company for the last eight years. They recently informed me they were eliminating my position ( after having it for 30+ years. ) Can they legally rehire someone else to ...

If you worked at a job and you quit, but accrued vacation time, aren't you suppose to get paid for that time.
can you give me a site that states that?...

Is being an attorney considered an affluent job (in the united states)?
How does it pay?...

Can I get a good paying job with a misdemeanor for a worthless check?

Have you worked there?
Have you ever worked in an environment where fellow staff members behaved in such a manner that the office was filled with constant stress all the while the employer looked the other way knowing full ...

How do lawyers use math on their job?
please tell me how lawyers must use math on their job....

Is it illegal to permanantly fill a position at work of someone on maternity leave?
I don't meen filling it as maternity cover but actually promting someone permanantly into the position of a worker on maternity leave so that her job is no longer available for her to come back ...

Is it legal for a emept employee to work 10 hours per day, 50 hours per week in california?

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Tuesday, September 2, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links