Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law & Legal Jobs

Can an employer ask you to do management job without compensation?
Find answers to your legal question.

Can an employer ask you to do management job without compensation?

I have been doing both assistant manager and manager job for 3 months with no compensation. When I asked for compensation, they fired me.
Additional Details
I was being paid as assistant manager and also being paid less then employee's I was in charge of.

michr
in the US as long as you are paid at least minimum wage and applicable overtime your employer can ask you to perform any duties that are not illegal, immoral or unethical regardless of what job or job description you have. (unless you have a contract or are covered by a collective bargaining agreement that "specifically" covers the issue)

as far as termination is concerned you are employed "at-will" unless you have a contract. being "at-will" means you can quit or be fired at any time for any reason or no reason (except an illegal one). if the employer did not have "cause" to terminate you then you will qualify for unemployment insurance (assuming you meet all the other criteria). there is no "wrongful termination" unless discrimination, retaliation or taking part of a protected activity is involved.

cristelle R
Rating
you worked without getting paid and they fired you?

Judy
No compensation? You weren't getting paid at all? No, that wouldn't be legal.

If you mean no EXTRA compensation, sure they can - they can assign whatever duties they want to, and if you aren't willing to do those things for what you are being paid, you have every right to quit. This assumes, of course, that you are making at least minimum wage.

The Bride Beatrice
Rating
Check your job description; if assistant manager is defined as covering for a manager temporarily (in case the manager leaves or is on maternity leave), that means no, they do not owe you money for any extra duties. It's part of your job as assistant manager. This happened to me when I covered for a manager who was on maternity leave, and they explained that it was part of my job to cover temporarily, but without extra pay. They definitely didn't fire me. Did you do anything that they interpreted as hostile? I don't see why they would fire you for asking a simple question. In that instance, I would consult an attorney.

Sophie B
They can do anything they want, if you work in a non-union place...

If you work in a job where you belong to a union, the union and management decide what the duties of each job are.....

golferwhoworks
of course they can and often do. Why would they pay you higher wages if they can get some one for less money
Sorry you lost your job but you should have thought of that before you made demands

skeptical
Check with your state labor relations board. Every state has one. Look on your state's website for it. It might be called something like a Department of Labor Relations, or Industrial Relations, or something like that.

Harry
Rating
The job description for an assistant manager probably allows them to use you as a temporary manager until a suitable replacement is found. As far as the firing goes they would either need to have grounds to terminate you or they would have to abolish your position. If you feel that you were wrongfully terminated you may have legal recourse.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

What is the best way to get a H1B job sponsorship in the USA?
Degree holder, 2 years work experience, Communication (Marketing/Ad/PR)....

In US, is it legal to pay for freelancers from...?
If a Limited Liability Company has only one member / owner, is it legal to pay for freelancers contracted with the company from the company owner's personal bank account?...

Paralegal career at 45?
I decided to change careers,and become a Paralegal. But now I do not know what specialty to enter.. I like immigration law alot.Where can I start ? And I know some Paralegals do freelance work/work ...

Can I take my time on the job in a state job with me if I take a federal job?
I currently work as a state employee and am in the process to get a new job as a federal employee. Someone told me that they thought I could take my time on the job in state employment with me to ...

Is it legal to get a pay cut, demotion and still have the same duties as you had before?

If you work at a bank and file bankruptcy?
then when they get the letter informing them of your filing, they harrass you by calling you in and telling you if you don't dismiss it they are going to let you go, to the point that you quite. ...

How do I hire day labor legally ?
I'm from California and would like to hire day labor to help around the house. what kind of insurance do I need for them and how do I get it? T...

How can i tell my boss off, without getting fired?
so, I have this manager at my job who tends to get on my last nerves. she walks around thinking she's the ****! and honestly, she uses her manager position to take advantage of those people ...

A company 'pulled' my credit report without my permission or signature. What, if any, is the penalty for this?
I did not give my permission. They had enough personal information to get my credit pulled, did and started asking me questions about what they found on my credit report.

I felt violated.<...

Confused about Victoria's legal employment age?
I am 14 in one month, and I have been doing a little research into employment age in Victoria, Australia and I have seen on business.gov.au and youthcentral.gov.au, according to those two sites you ...

Do you have to receive seperation papers at the time of termination?

How does the machine for court typing or court reporting work?
I have seen it and it does not look like a regular keyboard, and then their is this receipt that comes out of it with symbols arranged in different patterns?
What is all of that and how does is ...

Papers need to get a job?
When a 17 year old is getting a job at like CVS, Rite Aid, or places look those, what papers do they need?...

Employer trying to force me to work?
i do acting and singing and ive had a bad throat infection/viral/cold infection (fever, cold, sore cough, sore throat) for over a week and a half ive worked through it even though i wasnt well and ...

One ecstasy pill and half an ounce of marijuana..?
Can anyone tell me what's the worst sentence you can recieve in Louisiana for possession of one ecstasy pill? When I was arrested and bonded out, my court paper said that I was being charged ...

Will I be able to get unemployment,if I quit before probation is up? Gave up unemployment for this job.?
I was rec'ing unemployment, when I interviewed for a part time job they told me I would most likely work close to 40 hours(this is not in writing) I started the job and I only get 30hrs a week. I...

What can of job can I get with an aa in administration of justice?
I'm starting my freshman year in college next year and im thinking of pursuing this degree and my ba but what can i do with an aa?...

HELP.... ANY LAWYERS NEED TO ANSWER THIS!!!?
Ok... I am only 12 years old... but I have the Maturity of a 15 year old... I want to become a Lawyer so bad when i grow up... What are rules of the courtroom... and what does it take... I want to ...

What schooling do i need to become a Paralegal?
Im in my twenties and want to go to school to get a degree under my belt. I've worked as an administrative assistant for almost 6 yrs and i need something else...Im thinking of becoming a ...

How can I obtain funds ?
My wife is medically ill, with Cancer Lymphoma Non-Hodgkins. I want to stay home so, I can take care of her and our children, 3 and 9. I going to have to stop working to able to perform this task. ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Friday, December 19, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links