Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law & Legal Jobs

Can an employer change my hours even if I disagree.?
Find answers to your legal question.

Can an employer change my hours even if I disagree.?

I work for a large well known company who have served me with a 30 day notice to significantly change my hours. I have worked for the company for 15 years and in the current department for 8. The changes will affect my salary and give me child care issues. Has anyone been in a similar situation and have any advice?

loika61
I hate to tell you this, but yes indeed, they can do this legally. It's appropriate that they gave you a 30 day notice to "adjust" and it is too bad that they are taking salary away, but this may be a change to reduce costs, rather than reduce jobs. It will be very difficult to accept, and maybe speaking with and asking more questions of your supervisor will help.

It may be hard to hear, but truly know that this may be a business decision to keep more employees on payroll. My HR department did something similar and it was alot of anger, but we did the best to diffuse and help folks adjust. Good luck to you...

Beau.Gus
Rating
If you are an "at will" employee, you don't have any choice...you can do your job (even if it changes) and keep getting paid, or you can go home and look for another job!

Donna <><
Rating
They are the boss, it seems that they can do anything they want! You just need to try to discuss the issues with your boss. If that doesn't help, then find another job that would work for you.

ModelFlyerChick
Yes they can. Be glad they told you about it ahead of time. My employer changed my hours twice late last year without any previous notice. I came in to work and was given my new hours, effective immediately. Thanks to these changes I earn less money (hours cut) and my 30 mile commute takes far longer (did take 30 min, now it takes 2 hours). The 2nd change was because someone in the office complained to the VP that the front office (where my desk is) was left unattended every day.

Judy
They can legally change them. Sorry. At least they gave you the 30 day heads up to work out your child care issues.

SkinAnInk
Rating
We were given a 3 month notice of intent to change our working conditions and employment contract,when I went to the union they told me if I didn't sign the new contract I was effectively terminating my own job,the job centre also said I would be making myself unemployed so would not get full job seekers allowance...not fair ,but life rarely is....

sweetie s
im afraid they can. But if you think it's wrong or if it severely affects you you can go citizen's advice about it.

rwa000
Rating
sorry but it is what it is, they can change you without notice if the choose to, they did give you 30 days, hardship is not a valid excuse nor is reduction in salary as long as it is minimum wage

bill757051
Assuming that you work in the UK....
It all depends on what it says in your contract of employment. Dig out your contract and read it through. If you need help then take your contract to your local Citizens Advice Bureau to find out what options are open to you.

KJ
Rating
This is what the direct.gov.uk site says

Changes to Employment Contract
What if you and your employer don't agree?
What your employer can do
If you don't agree, your employer is not allowed to just bring in a change. However, they can terminate your contract (by giving notice) and offer you a new one including the revised terms - effectively sacking you and taking you back on. Your employer would be expected to follow a statutory minimum dismissal procedure.

Read about the statutory dismissal and disciplinary procedures (opens new window) More about notice and notice pay If you accept the new contract (or carry on working after the end of the notice period) the new terms will apply to you. You'll have continuity of employment.

If you don't accept the new contract - or if you've accepted the new one but feel there was no good reason for ending the old one - you have the right to make an unfair dismissal claim provided you've at least one year's continuous service with your employer. You may also be able to claim redundancy if you have at least two years service.

If there is a sound business reason for the change, and your employer has properly consulted you and looked into any alternatives, you could find it difficult to win your claim.

You could try consulting ACAS for advice. Good luck

ryanmansmart
yes because they are trying to help you save gas and I would agree if I were you because its save you money

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Leaving my job ....... HELP?
I handed in my notice a week and a half ago and my manager was fine, I asked for a waive of notice and they said they will let me know.
My other manager has reterned from annual leave today and ...

I cant decide........?
should i stay with my current employer or should i move on.... new job = less money & more travel BUT more opportunities? current job = more money less travel but limited opportunities just yay ...

Temp worker for almost 2 years - This LEGAL??
My husband has worked through a temp agency for almost 2 years. He is contracted to work at Honda of SC. He has had perfect attendance - good work ethic, etc. Now they are saying that he will ...

I'm 27 years old and thinking about changing career and becoming a lawyer/solicitor. Am I too old?

WORK MAKING ME SICK - should I stay in hell or should I go?
I have mayor work issues. I really cant explain everything in detail (Not enough space) but I've gone to seek professional help - and it's blown up in my face. I went to the labor dept and ...

Can they fire you on your last day?
So i didnt show up on my last day and didnt call, what can they do to me? can they ruin my reference?...

Need HELP!! plz!?
if you test negative for pre employement drug test and ur not a citizen, do they send the results to ins or is it confidential?

just ...

What are your top three reasons fo not wanting to work at a correctional facility?
Prisons seem to have a hard time getting employees. What state do you live in?...

Am I being Harrassed at work?legal advise needed?
For a while now I am being accused of things that are completely untrue due to rumours being spread around my company. For example, a while back a family member was rather ill and I needed to take ...

If a guy sneaks into the U.S. without a visa, and works and is paid in cash, does the law require him to pay a
percentage of that money to the IRS, as income tax?...

When you have a job, and looking for another, are you entitled time off to go to job interviews?
I am not sure the rules on time off for interviews???!...

If you knew a supervisor and his whole department were smoking weed and drinking on the job would you report?
them to management?...

Would like all your opinions on this matter!?
I was fired on May 17, 2009. The reason for this was as follows: A note in my handwritting was found beside a computer at the store where I worked. Another employee found it on my day off. It was ...

Employer won't pay?
Where do I stand legally if an employer won't pay me ? It was part time job. Is there any reason they can not pay you? I've been told by nearly everyone that I have to be paid, but it'...

Lying on my resume?
I'm sick of getting the shi# end of the stick, and I've decided that I'm going to lie on my resume. I've seen too many idiotic people get a job that pays way better than what I�...

Is it legal for an employer of a restaurant to ask for head shots along with the application?

I have been on at my job for 10 yrs. My employer only give me a 1 week vacation. How many weeks should I get?

Is this legal on breaks?
hi, i work a 7 and half hour shift and get a 30 min break, is this right? Also i am going to be working 9 hour days next week with a 30 min break is this right? I know after 6hours you get 20 mins ...

Can I get fired for calling in sick too many times?
I live in Southern California and my job is about 1 1/2 hour away from me...I have called in sick at least 4 times this month. I have also called in sick at least twice a month...I don't provide ...

Can you be fired for giving notice?
On at least one job I had, I gave notice that I had a better job coming up in two weeks and was planning on quitting then. But instead of appreciating the fact that I gave them time to put an ad in ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Wednesday, July 23, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links