Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law & Legal Jobs

Can an employer force you to work through your break?
Find answers to your legal question.

Can an employer force you to work through your break?

thealphafemme
Unfortunately, yes. Per federal law, employers don't even have to give you a break, however, the laws may differ in some states.

Contrary to popular belief, federal wage and hour laws (www.dol.gov) do not mandate breaks, vacations, holidays, paid time off, etc... they mandate hours worked and overtime.

In fact, many military shifts require "straight 8's" in which they will only give an employee 15 - 20 minutes in the middle of their shift to take a break and scarf down a sandwich (although they do pay for this time).

The best thing to do is go to the www.dol.gov and find the link to the local Dept of Labor office for your state and check the state laws.

Carley
Rating
only if you agree to it

LokoLobo
Rating
WalMart recenty had a law suit against them with just that problem.. they lost.. They shouldn't make you work through your break.. but at the same time, they are allowed to tell you when or when you can't take that break...

sarah81783
it's unethical. You're a person with needs and not a mean.

wrenchbender19
in most cases yes they can unless you have to clock out for your break and during which time you are not paid, in most union jobs they are required to gibe you minimum breaks but not at any particular time just today i worked through my first break and lunch so when i was able to take a break i took both my break and lunch at the same time but unless you have a wirrten contract such as a union they dont have to give you a break at any certian time

Richard S.
No they cannot, at least here in California. You're only required to have 10 minutes every 4 hours or something here. And 30 minutes if you work 8 hours. My girlfriend is food server and they "force" them to take breaks even when they are busy.

dave_miller1622002
Rating
only if you are on the clock. If you clock out for your break, then no, he can't, because you are not getting paid

?
Rating
yep but thats called over time you get payed more for it.

loretta b
No. Go to the employers higher boss whereby they may be. Don't let this person get you down. Tell co workers and get together. This person is bullying you and is probably getting you to do work they don't want to do.

Joseph C
Not if you don't allow yourself to be intimidated.

johnny
coca cola, basically here in rhode island requires you to work through all your breaks, even unpaid breaks.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Where can i find employers that are hiring right as of now?
I am on an intense search on-...

Racial Discrimination Lawyer?
What is the title for the kind of lawer I would need for a racial discrimination in the workplace suit? Also, where is a good place to look for representation on an easy open/shut case without having ...

I work alone as a chambermaid is this against the law?

Is it against the law for employeers to not hire if u have a felony?
Here in michigan the empolyeers plan out say if u have a felony dont even apply. but what if u do but is has nothing to deal with the work. U have a great work history but because u need to more ...

Is it true that you don't have to work the last day of your two weeks notice?
I used to work at marshalls and I was informed that I didn't have to come and work my last day and that it was optional.

help ...

Is it legal for a.........?
5 year old to marrie with parenetel cosent

p.s this is just a question i would never do that i just whant to no
<...

If you boss/supervisor gives bad reference about you, can you put a case against him in court?
Can you do anything about it?
Additional Details
If you have a source, please add it. Thanks....

What can he do, really? My husband was "let go" for "refusing to take a post-accident drug test but he DID go!
We moved this weekend. It had been planned for months. Friday night my husband's employer asked him to work Saturday night 3-midnight. Because he IS such a loyal, honest employee, he went to ...

Sunspended from work?
i have been sunspended from work. on a number of serious allegiations, on full pay, i ownly no one of theres allegiations and that the one i have been sunspeded for, what i need to no is wile i am ...

If someone at work treathens me.,provoke's me i loose my temper and hit that person can i be terminated?

Is it legal for my employer to have an "All employees must wear deodorant" policy?

My girlfriend has to make up working hours from last year is that legal?

If a job says meets national minimum wage, what does that mean?

Additional Details
pathfind... im UK...

Is this against the law?
A few years ago, I applied at a TCBY yogurt in Charlotte, NC. Three weeks have passed since application I come in and ask the girl about my application. You know what she told me? She told me the guy ...

Can an employer change my hours even if I disagree.?
I work for a large well known company who have served me with a 30 day notice to significantly change my hours. I have worked for the company for 15 years and in the current department for 8. The ...

Do i still pay holiday pay if my employee quits?
he has worked for 8 months and just walked out , he has taken no holidays in that time .
am i still liable to pay holiday pay .
i'm not shy of paying it .in contract it was 1.6 days a ...

Anyone know where I can get free legal advice?
I'm about to made redundant but feel that I've been discriminated against. I have some evidence to back up my beliefs, but wondered if anyone knew of anywhere I could get some free legal ...

Is it illegal to be asked how old you are in a job interview?
I'm curious if it's illegal to be asked your age by your interviewer in a job interview. Is this true? And is it a federal law. I'm from the U.S. FL...

I left my job but now they are refusing to pay me for 50 hrs work (which they missed out when doing my pay!)?
Hi, I'm a student and I got a summer job at Ben and Jerry's from July till November, however I have only just got round to sorting out my payments (due to medical reasons) and my employers ...

How much notice does an employer have to give to change your working hours or holiday?
we have had to save 3 days holiday for christmas shutdown from begining of january this year they are now saying we might have to come in and pay us for not taking the holiday ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Wednesday, September 3, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links