Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law & Legal Jobs

Can an employer hire you and then reject you the next day?
Find answers to your legal question.

Can an employer hire you and then reject you the next day?

I had an interview on Monday for a company. I was offered the position with demands. The company told me they would hire me only if I was able to start Wednesday and if I didn't report on Wednesday that I wouldn't have the job. I definitely accepted the position. Now this was very crucial to me because I am in the process of relocating to another state. The interview/job was in the state I was relocating to. I already resigned from my other job and have my stuff shipped to the state I am moving to. I get a call the following day from the job telling me that they could not hire because there is a freeze on hiring. They did inform me that when the freeze is over that they will hire me. What I would like to know is, can a company do that. I was verbally told that I got the job and then the company turned around and told me they cant hire me because of their freeze. This definitely puts me in a bond, because I already resigned from my job, and now Im in the state where Im relocating with no job. I mean Im definitely going to continue to look but its just frustrating. Any advice is helpful PLEASE!!!!

Skippy The Wondertard
Rating
No, you don't have any legal recourse.

One Step Ahead
My favorite saying 'WRITE IT DON'T SAY IT! This is a good learning lesson for you, never accept a verbal job offer. Always request to have the offer in writing. Starting date, job title, starting salary, salaried or hourly position. This way you have something to hold them to their word. They made the mistake and messed up your life, and all you get is we are sorry.

This might be a blessing, they could have hired you and let you go two months later.

christianpmc2002
Rating
I'm sorry to hear about your unfortunate situation.

Unfortunately, employment is legally presumed to be "at will" unless there is a contract or some other stipulation that provides otherwise. What that means is that an employer has enormous discretion to hire or fire employees at their leisure.

There are some exceptions - such as terminating someone for being pregnant, or because of race, or something similar.

In your case, employers can change their mind and decide not to hire you even after they've told you that you've been given the job - even if it is for a silly or bad faith reason (such as they think you are ugly or annoying). They also don't need to give you a reason.

That's the nature of employment law. For better or worse, it is heavily pro-business.

My Thoughts U Can't Decode
I am so sorry for your situation, but most companies hire their employees "at will" and can be let go at any time, for any reason.

Nette
Rating
I understand your frustration with them giving you false hope. They should have made sure it was okay to hire you before they offered the position. Unfortunately, they can do this and/or let you go within 90 days of your hire date for no reason what so ever. This would be the same thing if you accepted the offer then called them the next day and told them that you decided to take another job. They too could be in a bind if they would have turned another candidate down after someone accepting. It's a chance you take. Keep looking and good luck.

If all else fails, try a temp company once you relocate. They might be able to find you something short term until you are able to find the job you want.

jino
hello, I worked 3 days a week, my employer one day, said he will hold no more work for me, because they employ someone else. I had no contract and I don't even know if I was registered. I would like to know whether this company can proceed with the employee and what I could do in this case. Thank you for any response,

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Can my employer deduct $s from my pay without my consent?
I live in the state of CO. While driving a company vehicle I had a fender bender. An oncoming vehicle swerved into my lane and I veered right to avoid it. When I did this I scraped the bumper of a ...

After i quit, my boss refused to pay for my outstanding paid holidays. Is it legal? (working in London)?
Worked for three and half month, Full time, 44 hours a week. No written contract but he mention 21 paid holidays per year. So i am entitled to 6 days paid holiday(took 1 day). His excuse was i ...

Can lawyers get hired as paralegals?
Since the legal job market is so tight, can lawyers get hired as papalegals in order to stay in the legal industry? Or are they overqualified and thus automatically disqualified?...

At my job I received an email through the work email that I felt was inappropriate for the work place.?
It was sent by the assistant manager to a bunch of male employees. http://208.116.9.205/10/
Not sure how I should handle this....

I work for a large supermarket i have been there for 4 mnths will i get sick pay?
i have worked for them since dec 07 and have to take time off sick am i entitled to sick pay or am i gonna be shocked at end of month?
thanks for any help ...

Can I collect unemployment ???
today august 27 i presented to my employer a resignation letter effective on september 23. The company did not allow me to stay till that date so they decided to let me go effective date today, ...

Is a law career for me?
Ever since I took criminal and civil law classes in high school, I knew instantly that I am interested in law. I didn't think about law school back then, I just knew that I want to know more ...

Does degree in busines law through distance education and regular study has same value?

If a job ad shown in newspaper but can’t be found in hiring company, is it a bogus listing intended for H1B?
Recently (May – Aug, 2008), there are many job listings in Detroit’s Sunday newspapers that come from Hewlett Packard. The job requirements are mostly generic (such as gathering requirements, writing ...

I was terminated from my position for being questioned by police at work.?
My co-worker was arrested for passing counterfeit cashiers checks, they came to the job to talk to her she admitted that she knew they were counterfeit and told the police she got them from me. She ...

Where do I stand when?
I've recently accepted a new job - BUT the Conditions of Employment say that according to my Offer Letter I'd accepted that I had a full driving license. The thing is that my Offer Letter ...

Employment law?
My boss is being demoted. A position is being created for him. I am also interested in this position. Can my employer just create this position and appoint him to it, or are they legally obligated ...

Is it legal for a job you have worked on for over 3 years or more to demote you without any warning?
Or cut your hours even though you were hired as full time?...

If i witnessed or experienced bullying in my work force who would i need to contact?

Background checks for employment?
So im only 18. ive never had a job before. i just got a job and was supposed to go in for training but the training guy called me and said during the background check the couldn't find anything ...

Question about law school application?
i am a senior at rutgers university and applying to law schools right now. on the applications it asks whether you have been arrested, convicted, etc.; however, i have not been convicted.. i have ...

Ive been laid off & my boss wants me to come in to the office at 7.30am each day just in case.?

I have been laid off & my boss wants me to attend every day in case work comes in,I need to get there at 7.30 am every day and hang around til something happens,can he do this and can i get ...

Can my supervisor give me a bad review for invovling HR in our situation?
My supervisor is very pushy ever since i came back after being off for 14 days due to a medical condition. With this being said, she and the Senior VP wrote me up for unexcused absence "even ...

I just got out of prison. im trying to find a job. im also a felon. Where can i find a job?

Additional Details
Look im not the one thats the felon. Its a relative that just got out 48 hours ...

With 10 years experience, why are you still discriminated against if you did not go to a top 25 law school?
I have 10 years practical work experience in my field. I recently left my old job and in the interviewing process I find that recruiters and HR persons are eliminating me from the pool without ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Wednesday, April 23, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links