Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law & Legal Jobs

Can an employer take a raise away?
Find answers to your legal question.

Can an employer take a raise away?

My 17 year old daughter received a pay raise about 6 months ago. She went to pick up her paycheck yesterday and the raise was taken away. Never a word from the owner. No discussion. No warning. She didn't do anything wrong either. We live in Florida and I don't think this is right or legal. I need advice. thanks!
Additional Details
My daughter and I have both left messages for the owner. The woman is not returning our calls and ignoring the situation completely.

Spock (rhp)
Rating
it is fully legal.

Florida is a "right to work" state -- unless there is a written agreement, work and pay can be changed at any time. An employer doesn't have to give any notice of ending the employment either.

That said, your daughter should ask if an error was made.

If the answer is " no" -- time to find a new job.

Mother Bear
Rating
This is legal, as long as the pay does not go below minimum wage.

However, your daughter should have been notified.

Is it possible that she was notified but did not really understand what was being told to her? I have teenagers and know that if they don't want to hear what is being said they simply don't.

Adam G
Legal - yes. Good business practice - probably not.

Did you stop to think that this could be a payroll error? The check was delivered on Friday and you are freaking-out because the boss won't return a call on a Saturday? Her boss has absolutely no obligation to call you back and you should have never involved yourself in the first place. Take a deep breath and let your daughter deal with it.

On Monday your daughter should inquire about the error and see that they say. If they did reduce the pay intentionally and chose not to notify her then it is probably time to start looking for another job.

rwa000
Rating
there is nothing wrong with this it is legal, first of all, secondly she just be out the door , filing asuit would not be cost effective although you would lose anyway, keep calling maybe she won't have to worry about it at all. She needs to fight her own battles

rara avis
I think you're supposed to be notified. But, yes, you can get a raise taken away. It's called a demotion.

MadMerv
If she received a raise and it was made official (in writing) she may be able to sue, because the employer has no right to withhold pay that is due. Seriously think about consulting a lawyer (free initial consultation) but retaining one may not be worth the money, unless you're doing it on principle.

Expert Realtor
1. Are you sure it wasn't a mistake.

2. Are you sure your calls are being ignored or is the owner out of town.

Tread carefully.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

What do i study for this civil service test?
what should I do to study? I have a civil service test coming up, is it a common sense test? or is it more difficult?...

What is the legal age in victoria Australia to get a job?
I am a 13 year old girl 14 in july this year and i would like to know if i could get a part time job?
i think and others think i acted older then i am but its my age thats stopping me i think?...

Is it legal for your job to give you a transfer before they discuss the options you have?
On monday i asked my boss for a transfer but she told me no not right now because they dont have a
nyone to replace me and she will have to get me the paper work to fill out. On friday my boss ...

Iv just created a group on facebook for the employees of the company i work for- can i get in trouble for this
it does say in the title of the group that its NOT an official group and its a way for the employees from different branches to stay in touch. but im worried if it gets back to the 'powers that ...

What is the average salary for an executive secretary?
Im thinking about pursuing a career in Secretaries and Administrative Assistants. Im thinking about going to university and majoring in buisness.
Will getting a degree realted to buisness give ...

What do you call the first 3 months of employment? Probation? Orientation?

What kind of degree do i need to obtain to become a cop and be able to further my career.?
i want to become a cop, but i know after a while im going to want to go further and join agency like the FBI, ATF, DEA, etc. and i want to make sure i take the right classes and get the right degree. ...

Is an offer letter legally binding?
I asked another question and have very conflicting answers as to whether an offer letter for employment is legally binding. Some say yes, others say no. Please explain. I accepted an offer which ...

Should my son sign a non-compete clause?
My son has just been offered his first job since graduating in May. He will be a recruiter and he is to start in 3 weeks. However, the company just emailed him a "non-compete" letter ...

A sophmore in high school needing help with colleges. Whats a good school for Lawyers?
I am still in high school but I would like to start requesting info from colleges now. Is there anyway you can have scholarship stuff sent to your house, I use fastweb. But I also want some stuff ...

What kind of lawyer do i need to sue my employer? ?
I have a broken finger that happened while i was working and now they said they want to fire me after my finger gets better. I am currently getting workers comp. They are gaining on me for no ...

I need answers please?
Me and My husband aren't home in the daytime so my sister maintains my home while im gone. I have a legal matter and she tells me that the secretary from the opposing sides law firm continuously ...

Resume......................
how to write a proper resume
can u show me the ...

If you have been terminated, are you entitled to whatever holiday's you have owing?
Apparently, I abused someone [verbally] and it is grounds for instant dismissal, I am not disputing that, but, am I entitled to whatever holiday pay I am owed? I was full time, and I know if I had ...

Why should we hire you?

What does it take to be a lawyer?
im just starting high school and id like to know what classes i should take what i need to know, what i should be interested in, what its like, ect....

Is my employer just full of it or is there a chance. Please read...?
I was hired last year in Jan. I was told in July that i was going to get promoted to the acct mgr position. They want me to replace the current acct mgr that it so happens to be the owners niece. W...

What can you do with a law degree?
I am graduating in May with my Juris Doctorate, but I am not sure whether I really want to be a lawyer. My undergraduate degree is in English, and I am certified to teach secondary English. Does ...

Questions for all LAWYERS!!!!?
I keep hearing that unless you are a YALE or HARVARD graduate, that lawyers don't make a lot of money. That they make decent figures but that it is not like what many would imagine.
Is ...

How much money do lawyers make?
What kinds of lawyers make the most money (like over $200,00 per year)?
Which ones are the most prestigious?...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Friday, October 31, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links