Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law & Legal Jobs

Can co-workers talk about their wages?
Find answers to your legal question.

Can co-workers talk about their wages?

I am just curious to know the exact wording and law behind this; can co-workers talk freely about their respective wages legally?

I had an HR course a few years back and my professor mentioned that it is legal to do so, but I cannot remember the law that declares this act legal. Someone had mentioned it is the right for employees to organize which sounds very close and logical. If anyone has the law in verbatim, that would be appreciated.

ligiersaredevilspawn
I couldn't help but chuckle when I read this question. Not taking the mickey out of you here or anything like that, just made me laugh that we've actually got to a point now where people think the law tells us what we can do rather than what we cannot - very telling of society and the present government but I won't get into that now!!! Basically with the law if it is not mentioned (and by that I mean there is no case law aswell) it is o.k. Certain pieces of legislation seek to expressly protect rights but these are typically enactments of wider reaching E.U legislation.

There is no law that makes it expressly illegal to discuss what wages you are on with co-workers and no law which expressly protects a right to do so. Having said that you should certainly tread carefully on this subject as I have read contracts which contain terms stopping employees from discussing their respective remuneration and doing so can constitute breach of contract on your part if this is the case. This can lead to disciplinary action or even dismissal. So on this one I would certainly say check your contract - if it is not expressly mentioned then you are safe to discuss such details without fear. Also, minor point but verbatim means 'word for word' so you can't have it 'in verbatim' it's just verbatim. Don't mean to be anal, it's just a pet peeve and I figure if I politely point it out you'll know for the future.

PattyAnn
Rating
No matter what the law says, it's not wise to discuss your pay with anyone else. There are reasons for different people to be paid different amounts, and fighting to get the same salary as someone else, in this day and age, could lose your own job for you.
Organized employees? That sounds like a union. I'm not sure you want that.

michr
Rating
in MOST states the employer may have a policy that bans these discussions and discipline that may include termination for failing to follow the policy.
a very few states such as California make this a protected activity and as such the employers in those very, very few states may not set such a policy or discipline an employee for such discussions.
there is no federal law on the subject. free speech laws do not apply

our "rights" are in relation to government infringement not the private sector.

Steve M
Generally a person can discuss their pay unless their contract prohibits it. It is generally not considered wise to do so however. It may lead to problems for yourself, or the person you speak with, especially if their is a discrepancy.

Doctor Deth
state the law that declares it ILLEGAL - This is a free country. you can't censor what people talk about - most employers tell you not to talk about it because two people doing the same job may be making different salaries, and the lesser paid one is going to be upset, but hey - there could be a dozen reasons why that difference in pay exists

mailaccount63
Employees can talk among themselves about their wages - but employers don't like them to.

rwa000
Rating
if company policy says you can;t then don't , they make rules about this for a variety of reason

Pale Rider
This is America, you can talk about whatever you want.

msbean
It is protected speech under the National Labor Relations Act. I don't have the exact language for you, though, There are some instances when it is illegal, from what I gather. For example, if you are an HR employee, you're not allowed to disclose other people's salaries.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Office moving question?
A coworker and I have been wondering if its legal that I have to help my office move to another office. I am an hourly employee and so is my coworker. The move will take place after hours and I will ...

Legal to go to someone's hospital room to terminate them?
Reduction in work force led to all new employees being terminated. My brother (5 mos. with the company) was in the hospital, having started medical leave (due to surgery) the day before, when his ...

Am i being scammed..i gave all my info?
i signed up for a job for electronics2buy.com, i gave them my info and filled out a w-4 form..i even recieved a package in the mail to start the job from home...2day i just found something online and ...

When should I reveal to my prospective employer that I have an arrest record?

Can I still become a pharmacist if I have a felony?

Additional Details
I live in arizona, it will get expunged pretty soon, and it is not drug or pharmacy related....

Lawyer vs. Paralegal?
I'm looking for advice from anyone who is currently either an attorney or paralegal. I'm 34 years old, with a business/finance background, and considering going to law school next year. I ...

Are my hours legal?
I've been working in retail for only a few months now as a casual worker, but over the past few weeks the amount of shifts I am rostered on for has increased hugely. Usually I wouldn't ...

Does anyone know of any legit work from home jobs? Any links or info I would appreciate it.?
Seeking a work from legit job. I reside in FL. Please no thrashers or negative posts. Thank you!...

I jut got fired for shoplifting. how will this affect my life?
i was in a meeting. obviously got fired. they said they wouldnt prosecute but i have fines to pay. do i have a record will this affect futrue jobs/interviews? should i even put it on my resume?...

Is it illegal to work for tips only?
in florida is it illegal to work behind a bar for only tips
and not get paid hourly by the management?...

OMG my boss wife pissed me of so ?
bad. she said i am so upset and you are not and expert what you did was wrong and its not your place to make copies of something and put it in with documents that was already approved my me and my ...

I love writing legal briefs - suggest a career for me?
I have a BA in communications/journalism - but I'm having a problems getting a job (surprise, surprise). Anyways, I took business law and media law & ethics in college, beleive it or not I ...

Legally, What can I do about my employer not paying me, all of my wages?
I was not on the schedule,but I was suppose to work if I felt o.k.,after having a tooth pulled{i didn't get it done so i went in to do my shift,the other worker didn't leave}yes, business ...

What do you think?
am working right now but i'd like to pursue my studies and have a master's in Public Ad as my aunt wants and maybe work in the gov't but my cousin insists that i take up law... since ...

What kind of good paying jobs are available for a convicted felon?

Can Paralegals become lawyers?
Can paralegals become lawyers? If so what type of experenice and college does a person need to become a lawyer?...

Bout how long does a felon conviction stay active on record?
when a person applies for employment are they required to verbally speak of it before app. is finished?...

Is this legal?
my son has been paid wages from work he left over a month ago his boss has rung and said he wants him to withdraw the money so he can collect it and give it to the employee who earned it, my son will ...

Should I quit my job without notice?
My supervisor's boss called me a SOB and said that he could not trust me to a coworker over possible insubordination, which had not occurred. I have accepted another job with a competitor, but ...

What is the highest paying job you can get wiyh out a degree and how do you get it?
what is the highest paying job you can get wiyh out a degree and how do you get ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Monday, September 1, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links