Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law & Legal Jobs

Can employers take sick days out of holiday allocation?
Find answers to your legal question.

Can employers take sick days out of holiday allocation?

At my company, if we are sick we get this day deducted from our holiday allocation. I want to know if this is legal. Surely they would instead have to just give us unpaid sick leave, rather than take the number of days we’re sick out of our holiday leave?
Additional Details
Thank you for all your responses - they have been extremely helpful!

I should have noted that I am based in the UK.

I have checked my contract and there is no mention of having sick days taken out of holiday allocation. I think it's just 'something they have always done' without having made it a policy or checked whether it's legal.

Dennis4QPR
Hi
No they cannot, it is totally illegal in the UK and most EU countries too, even if it is in your contract of employment, that contract would be deemed not to be enforceable because you cannot stipulate an illegal action in a contract of employment.
Getting them to change without you leaving might be a bit tricky though (if it is a small company that is).
Have a look on directgov.gov.uk for the contact numbers for advice, or ring the CAB they will be able to help.
Good luck

Chairman ALF
Rating
No it's NOT legal in the UK

princesslou10686
Rating
i dont know if its legal but they shouldnt do it without asking you. perhaps they feel they are doing u a favour as you are getting paid for being sick. ask them about it. and ask if you can take "unpaid holiday leave" because then its not really a big problem as you are still able to take holidays.

gail
Your company is trying to pull a fast one.
It should have a seperate policy for sick and one that states your holiday entitlement. Both should be a statement on your job offer/contract of employment.
Ask for clarification of both from your HR department, once you have these documents and if you find that your employer is not following its own written procedures place a grievance and ask for your holiday entitlement back.
acas will give you some advice.

Dory
Rating
In my husbands company the staff have the option to take it as unpaid sick leave or as a days holiday. This can't be done without the staff members consent.

Judy
Where are you? Laws can differ.

Many US companies give paid time off, which includes both sick and vacation time.

Vacation time isn't mandated in the US, so yes they can charge extra sick days against vacation time. Or they could just fire you for exceeding the allowable sick days.

sal2butt
Hell no! I wouldn't stand for that, that means you have less days to take as annual leave and they can't do it without you asking them to do so. I'd go the the Citizens Advice! Good Luck!

ronimg
Rating
What does the company policy say? In Texas, there is no requirement for allowing for either sick leave or vacation leave. It is considered a benefit and is not automatically provided. Also, many companies just have "personal leave" you use it when you are sick or are on vacation.

Han
Rating
Check your contract. Employers should not take sick days out of holiday, but if you signed something to say they could then you're scr*wed!

Unless of course they think you're just pulling a sickie, in which case I would take it out of your holiday. lol.

chelle_7272
Rating
No it's not (in UK). Holiday entitlement is just that. You are right in that if you are off sick it should be unpaid sick leave. it is not at all connected to your holiday entitlement.
I would suggest consulting your local Citizens Advice or this site may help
http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/index/life/employment/holidays_and_holiday_pay.htm

littlevixen
Rating
They can only do this if it is in your contract. otherwise no they cannot.

NikNaks
I guess some company's would do that to discourage those people that would think about calling "sick" when they're not sick. I would think you have an argument on your hands if they didn't put that in your contract. If you signed one that is. Other wise I would argue it and if that doesn't work well what can I say... Let's hope you don't get sick!
I worked in various places and usually when I have a sick day I would tell my manager to swap it for one of my days off so I don't lose any hours.

Have a look at your contract if you have one. Hope you get it resolved!

Good luck!

hr4me
In the U.S. - If the company policy is to do this, and it's in your handbook or posted where notices are normally posted, then it would be allowed. Company's can force employees to use up all accrued time first before allowing unpaid time off.

Keep in mind that paid time off for sick, vacation and holidays is not a legal requirement. The time off yes, but to be paid for it no. A number of company's do not allow for paid sick time any longer.

mcdannells
This is what my mr job does, we keep him as healthy as we can.....

KJ
Your employers can give you the option of taking sick leave as holiday instead, so that you would be paid, but they can not make it compulsory.

I would contact ACAS for advice - 08457 47 47 47.

sweetiepie_screamer
Rating
Usually, companies should pay SSP if you're off sick. What does it outline in your contract? Did you sign your contract knowing this?

me
it is illegal, if you are sick it is classed as sick leave, the only way it is taken from holiday is if you ask it to be taken from your hols. some people ask to take it form there holidays because they dont get sick pay when of sick. speak to your manager and tell him you've taken legal advice.

gizmo1965
i am coming up to being of work for 28 weeks my sick note goes past this period and my plce of work will stop paying me ssp i will have to claim esa from then on.i did go back to work but i had to go back on the sick does my employer have to pay any holiday pay that would be due to me with me not having any holidays this year

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Is it fair to pay a man more?
If I went to the same school as a man. We got the exact same education. Which cost us the same amount of money. And we both had the same GPA. Why would the man make more money than me?

Would you warn him?
If you found out that a bloke at work had texted a woman at work (not a nasty text, but gone through her personal details to get her number and doesn't even talk to her at work) and you and the ...

Can an employer legally require you to divulge a second job or self-employment?
Recently, my company announced that all workers would have to divulge any second jobs or self-employment, and furthermore, have them approved (or denied) by the General Manager as a condition for ...

Am i entitled to a break ?
I work for 7 hour, 3 in the morning with an hour dinner (unpaid) and 4 in the afternoon. Am i entitled to a break in the afternoon and if so should i be paid for it ?
Additional Details
N...

What if my career test says...?
I am a sophomore in high school and I am leaning toward the law field for a career. My nature is very soft and emotional and people tell me I cant handle the competitive field of law.

R...

Workplace ethics: My spouse strongly suspects the boss listens in on incoming phone calls at work. Thoughts?
The boss also apparently monitors conversations. Legal issues here or better to just move on?...

Is putting a sign up at work gross misconduct if it is against the company?

Can an employer terminate your employment if you become a patient under the mental health act 1983?

Minimum wage!!!?
Im a minor (16) and i work at a Big Boys and im getting paid 6.50 and hour which i just found out is under The minimum wage which just recently got bumped to 715 and even before that i was getting ...

Laid off work is it legal?
Is it legal for my boss to lay me off work without ...

Can you sue???
Quick question...

Can you sue your employer if you work 12 hours a day and only get 30min break working on a wharehouse?
Additional Details
I live in Houston TX 77058
<...

What do you think of Magistrates?? Just interested?
My personal opinon is that they are;
Uneducated social climbers..

Simply because they require a Court Clerk to outline legal principles for them, they have approximately 4 weeks legal ...

I was recently terminated from my job for violating company policy. Should I divulge this on applications ?
I was employed as a department manager for 11 years with my last employer. I always had acceptable or better annual reviews. I went outside of company policies to complete my job one day and was ...

My son doing night shift is this legal?
my son and his friend are both under 18 and they are been told to do night shift for royal mail which was done through a agency called reeds. having done some research into it i found that it is not ...

Will a law degree leave me cursed with a boring life of contracts and paperwork?
I feel like I have made the wrong choice, should I just finish?...

What is the best job title for my new job?
My new job will entail using my skills as Office Manager, Senior Paralegal and Marketing Manager/Coordinator. My boss recommended Office Manager, Senior Case Manager but I don't know. S...

Which practice of law pays the most?
I'm curious which area of law brings homes the highest salary. Also will a large law firm pay more than a smaller one?
Additional Details
Also, will my average-looks keep me from ...

Realistically, how old it too old to ...?
I really want to go to law school but I would be 38 when I finished. Is that too old to even consider going to law school? Wouldn't it be harder to compete against the 26-27 year olds in the ...

Is this overreacting....?
Apparently somone's lunch at work was taken from fridge and this person has made a big deal out of it taking it to HR requesting either the quilty contractor be fired or employee be written up. H...

Is it legal for an employer to publicly post actual employees' wages?

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Wednesday, July 30, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links