Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law & Legal Jobs

Can my employer deny to pay me sick leave?
Find answers to your legal question.

Can my employer deny to pay me sick leave?

I live in Texas. I have 5 sick days available. I was out because my child had Strep and had to stay at home with her. I did not get paid for those days. They told me that Sick leave only applies for the employee and not for their dependents. There is nothing in our employee handbook that specifies that. What can I do?

capitalgentleman
Some places have days for family emergencies, but this is not common.

Your sick day is for your own sickness. You were not sick, but did not come to work, so your employer does not have to pay you. In theory, they could also fire you, but this is unlikely.

The employer did what was within their rights.

sailboatsandbutterflies
Rating
Hi--probably nothing if your employer doesn't pay for you to take care of dependents--then they do not.

If you want to check further into it, I'd check with your local Dept of Labor for Texas. They can tell you if your state has any help that they can offer/you can apply for.

Or if you can claim it on your taxes as an expense--which is another option.

corgi1922
Rating
FMLA does not apply unless your child has a serious medical condition (not just sick). Do you have vacation time? If so you should use those days if they will let you.

Go to HR and tell them that you want to do everything right so what is the correct course of action the next time your child is sick and you are not able to find a babysitter. I'm sure you aren't the only person at the company who has children so there has to be a solution here somewhere.

Josh
Rating
There's nothing you can do, except know that next time you should call in sick yourself without specifying that it's not for you.

William Harvey
Rating
There is nothing you can do now. In the future however, you may want to call in sick for yourself without noting the reason. Your employer has no right to know why you are sick. Talk to your doctor because Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA) will help you from getting fired due to attendance violations. The FMLA gives employees 12 weeks during a rolling 12 month period in which to be absent without incident.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Is DUI a felony?
filling out a job application, asked the question if I had a felony in the last 10 yrs, had a Dui 7yrs ago is that ...

What's your job?
I'm studing law in europe....

Career, Where can I start?
Hello, I am 20 years old! I am going to start college here pretty soon, I am tired of working for 8-9 dollars an hour. I am into law-enforcement, i have training in Private Investigations and have my ...

Got fired from my job for missing a deadline?
how to reverse the situation?...

Misdemeanor Underage drinking.?
I have a 8 year old misdemeanor. I forgot about it completely and failed to put in on any jobs apps (and was still hired), but now I remembered it and will recieve a job only if I pass the ...

Has anyone ever broken their Non-Compete Agreement?
I worked for a tiny company that left the state. The others that I worked with are currently unemployed and looking for jobs. But we all had non-competes and their having a hard time finding good ...

Would this be legal? I dont think it would be a pyramid scheme?
Say me and 9 other people were gonna put one thousand dollars each into a pool. So that would make 10 thousand dollars into the pool. We put numbers into a hat and each person draws one number from ...

If convicted of a misdemeanor assault with family member in TX is going to college worth it?
I am going to graduate with a BBA in Spring 2009 and made a stupid drunken mistake and had to pay a $500 fine for assault with fm but no jail time do you think as a woman I can get a proffessional ...

I have been sick for more than 30 days in last 24 months been offered position they doing a pre med check help?
been offered a council job in london to start 26 jan 09....i have the pre med check form and will be taking with me on monday question is they ask ho many days sick in last 24 months I have had a lot ...

I'm a contract attorney and I have just been offered a permanent position with the place I'm working?
So, I've been working at a contract attorney position for a large firm in Palo Alto for about 6 months. Finally, the law firm where I am working wants to offer me a position. What, if any, are ...

Is it compulsory for a lawyer to be registered with The Law Society in UK?

Employment and criminal conviction?
I have a friend who has a minor criminal conviction. According to him the conviction falls under an alias, not his legal birth name. The question he asked me which I don't know is, If he use his ...

Barrister of Solcitior?
Which is better?
Which get pays more?...

What do you think OJ's legal bills have run over the past 10 years?

Additional Details
psucunni...,
So what you are saying is that if it were not for OJ Simpson, we would not have Kim Kardashian's booty in the spotlight?

Now I love O...

My Job fired me and harrased me about a law suit and prosecution?
My job fired me 3 days ago, They sat me down on a table and handed me copies of myspace blogs whick all of them but 1 had nothing to do with work. and the one that did have to do with work was an e-...

Should I sign this paper?
I have been on maternity leave for two months, since then two of my fellow co-workers have left and mind you there is only three of us in this pod. With that being said there were some mistakes found ...

Do I have a lawsuit against my employer if I was fired because I refused to work single shifts ?
I was hired with the previous director of nursing who no longer work there and I worked double shifts set days for three months and also they didn't give me orientation....

Is my employer stealing from me?
Payroll is processed bimonthly, so 24 times per year. Full-time employees receive credit for 86.67 hours per pay period. No problem, because 40 hours times 52 weeks= 2080 hours. 2080 hours divided by ...

Does this really work?
I don't know if you have ever heard of this, but its a thing where you send $1 to the 6 people on the list and then repost the message to 200 or more groups putting your name in #6, #6 to #5, ...

What does the word "until" means?
I am in disability right now. Doctor's note stated "until June 11th". Does it mean that I go back on the 12th and I am on leave through June 11th or does it mean I have to go back on ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Friday, September 19, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links