Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law & Legal Jobs

Can my employer punish me for not coming in on my scheduled day off?
Find answers to your legal question.

Can my employer punish me for not coming in on my scheduled day off?

I was scheduled off today. I made plans to go out of town. This morning the office girl calls, leaves me a message, and asks if I can come in. I called back and told her I wasn't able to. A couple of hours later, work calls again. I didn't answer right away. It was my manager this time. He left me a message saying that if I didn't call him back, my hours might substantially be lowered in the weeks to come. I called him back, and he accuses me on the phone of screening my calls. I politely explained to him I was out of town with a friend (at this point I was), and I apologized for not being able to come into work. He said he was just wondering why I couldn't come in.

My thinking is that what I do on my day off is my business, and that I shouldn't have to be around my phone to answer it right away. Can he really threaten to reduce my hours if I don't come in on my day off? Are there any laws against this kind of retaliation? I live in Arkansas if that helps.

Navi
Rating
i dont think they can do that... look it up in employee rights...your employer should have a copy.

-Navi
http://viscosity.deviantart.com/

Barry auh2o
Possibly someone called off sick, he was in a bind and called you.How often does this happen????
Here's your choice.
Are you going to be willing to help out and pick up the slack if he's in a bind, or are you going to stand by "" what i do on my day off is my business and I shouldn't have to stand by the phone." Your decision will help your boss decide if you are someone he can count on to help him, or are you someone that isn't interested in doing any more than what you have to."
If you can't understand this, then you will never convince anyone you can be promoted into management and that co9uld have a very negative impact on your future with this company.

Judy
Rating
He can reduce your hours for any reason or for no reason - he could reduce them even if you HAD come in that day, so there's nothing that says he can't reduce them if you didn't.

You have a legal right not to go in on your day off, or to quit and look for a different job if you feel their demands or actions are unreasonable - they have just as much a legal right to cut your hours or even to terminate you.

In hindsight, your mistake was probably in calling back in the first place and acknowledging that you got the initial call - but you were just trying to do a decent thing and let them know.

t.
Rating
It may be construed as a threat but most likely he was trying to encourage you to be available more often or he might have to rely on others who are more dependable or readily available. You do have a right to discuss with him exactly what he meant. He has no right to make accusations regarding why you didn't respond, but he can 'ask'. He may be throwing his weight around because he feels like he is in a bind and must get coverage. He has no right to get angry for you not responding to his demands if your not available.

kOokiE mOnstER
Your schedule is kind of like a binding where you must follow it or else you'll get written up or something. Say they schedule you for Monday 8-5 pm and if you don't show up, you're in trouble. So if Monday is your day off, then you don't have to come in and you don't have to pick up your phone because low coverage at work is NOT your problem. But if you want to work and your work needs people, then go for it. Normally work schedules come out at least a week before the actually days you work so it gives you time to plan anything you want on your days off. They can't punish you if you don't come in because you already planned to do something else. If anything, your manager is a little mad because it's his responsibility to find coverage so when you didn't pick up, that just made it a little inconvenient for him.

Laws? I'm not sure, try to google it.

Gaston73
Blow that popsicle stand for a better job where they hold you in higher regard. Think about being self employed as life can give you signs we need to listen and we don't all the time. Have you been there for more than 3 mths if so let them fire you and collect your unemployment till you find something better...

chris

Dick J
I don't live in AR, but in my state, this practice would probably not be unlawful in and of itself. However, if it was motivated by a discriminatory animus (your race, religion, union activity, having filed for workers comp in the past, etc.), it would be unlawful.

Danbert99
He could punish you, but not by reducing hours. If you are up for a promotion, you may not get it because you were not available that day that they needed someone to fill.

It was a "Scheduled" day off, so it could be possible you could be called in. But it is an office, so unless it was an important position within the company or 50% of the office came down with the flu, always count on to do whatever you want on the scheduled day off.

Now, if they only call you maybe once in a great wild, go for it.
But, if they start calling you every single day because someone else calls in sick ... then I would consider start finding another job, because in reality, he should not depend on you to be their "DOG."

Trish
To the one that asked the question ........i can so relate with you on this punishment crap with work...i booked a day off to go to a work function out of town with my husband...the day off was granted...so i went to the function. During that time i had gotten a msg asking if i was available to come in because someone called in sick...i was out of town and still responded to the msg by reminding them i had booked the day off and was out of town so i wouldnt be available. The weeks schedual finally gets posted and i get shafted on shifts because i was not available on my day off as to what the manager had told me. I told the manager i had responded to the msg and i had booked the day off week in advance and was granted the day off so this is unfair. Manager said well if your not available he (owner) gets upset and you then loose shifts. I am so sick of head games being played by owners and manager that think they can powertrip on the spot without even thinking of what could happen to the person when they are not even at fault. I think there should be a human rights law for this kind of situations. I can see loosing shifts if you are someone that calls in alot or doesnt show for shifts but not for not being available on your day off.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Legal inheritance?
My mother who was married to my father divorced when I was a baby. I never knew him. I have a half brother when my father re-married. I learnt a year or so ago, my father died and my half brother ...

I got job offer letter from Coppen Oil and Gas from UK of GBP11500(Pounds)?
i am from India and i got this job offer, i want know whether this company is fake or not? they asked me to transfer 760 pounds in the account of a solicitor for signing the contract on behalf of me. ...

How many times have you been fired from a job?
If so why did you get fired and how did they do it. If not have you ever quit just because you could not take it anymore?...

Overtime/ holiday pay question.?
Ok, today is my 6th day in a row working in ONE work week.
48-hours. It should be overtime pay but, Its also a holiday. should i be getting double time, or triple time? or what should I be ...

What can a perspective employer ask a previous or current employer about you?

How can i get my employment history?

Can my boss make me give a 3 month notice?
I have been working with this company for almost 3 years now. I have not gotten any sort of a raise. I had signed a contract to give 3 months notice or I would have to pay $4,000. There weren't ...

How do I go about asking for a raise at work?
I am a legal assistant at a law firm in a small (ish) city in CA. I have been a legal assistant for over 7 years and have extensive experience in many facets of the legal field. I have been working ...

WORK: I work from 7am - 4pm with an hour lunch. Why can't I take my lunch hour from 3:00 to 4:00?
**I've asked management and they don't answer
**My job is unique - I work at work but independently. Meaning, no one covers for me nor do I cover for them.

Why on gauds ...

My boyfriend has sold his business and agreed to not start another business within one year?
Is it possible that I could open a business instead? he would not work in the business, but there would be 1 employee from the old company, and it would service the same clients....

If you have no work to do, but the rest of your department has. Can you be sacked for doing nothing?

Additional Details
We work on projects, i have no projects going through at the minute and i cant really help a coleague with there's as its in the pre production stage... it'...

How much does your employer give you for bonus?
Lets say a company give bonuses to their employer once in a while.. How much is that usually? I work in a small company. i just started working. the employer said she will give bonuses once in a ...

Can you be fired as wrongful termination for just ONE week in TEXAS?
I work at a spa, and was recently hired. First, they told me that I would go through a two-week training period where they could train me and also determine whether I was good enough this legal to ...

Is my boss allowed to do this?
I'm 19 and I work at quiznos, my boss makes his wife work open to close every day of the week. he cut my hours recently, i went from getting nearly 45 hours a week available for me down to about ...

Walmart Orientation: Position Overnight Stocker.?
What are we going to do in Orientation?.. also i applied for overnight stocker..im with the frozen department meat, freezer i suppose stuff like that..can anyone tell me more about the position and ...

Can you collect unemployment & severance pay at the same time if you loose your job?

** How do I handle nasty comments from former employer?**?
Found out today that my former employer may be making nasty and false comments to people. How should I handle this and do I have any legal recourse? Or should I just chalk it up to a bad experience ...

Is it legal in Ohio for an employer to go to doc. w/you to your app. when hurt on job.follow up app.?
i have been hurt on job & employer expects me to take them to doc. app. when i have them so they can talk him into or out of certain treatments so my injury wont be ...

I need help with a legal discussion question, what does the law say about this?(you gotta be smart to answer)?
Case Study #3
Oneal was a teacher employed by the Colton Consolidated School District. Because of a diabetic condition, his eyesight deteriorated so much that he offered to resign if he would ...

What are the legal requirements when advertising a job?
i went for a job that said it was 5 mornings a week. when i went for the interview it changed to 4. when i went for the trial and was offered the job i was told it was now only 1 morning a week as ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Tuesday, July 29, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links