Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law & Legal Jobs

Can my employer reduce my work hours?
Find answers to your legal question.

Can my employer reduce my work hours?

My employer is reducing my full-time 40 hour week to basically an as needed schedule that is part-time. They gave my position to a new employee for no stated reason except "they are making changes." Now the new employee is a full-time and I am not. Can they legally do this? They are not down-sizing or laying off, they are just singleing out me and a few others. This is not the first time they have changed my schedule without even a weeks notice but at least before it was full-time and I was not at risk of losing my benefits. By the way I have worked there for about 1 1/2 years so I am not new.
Thank you!!

rwa000
Rating
as long as they pay you minimum wage they can do what ever they want

kelly
Yes they can leagally do this what they are hoping is that you quit and once you do then they do not have to pay you unemployment, I would start finding a new job.

Sweetdaddy Rex
Rating
Depends on the papers you signed, or were presented to you, when you went to work there.Sounds like they are trying to get rid of you, without paying unemployment !

Joshua R
Yes they can. Looks like don't think you are making a good contribution. The employer has the right to ask you not to come to work anymore, ie fire you. I would discuss, civilly, with your boss why they have scaled you back in favor of another? Or more importantly if they are dissatisfied with your performance what changes would they like to see from you to become full time again.

Pulver
Rating
They can. I agree they're trying to get you to quit without paying unemployment.

hamsterbabies
Rating
That stinks! I would be sooo mad.
If there is no signed documentation that you WILL be full time, then I do not see where you can legally fall back on any agreement.

I would find another place to work!!!

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Fired from job question?
I was just fired from my lawn care job today. I was overheard by my boss saying "I don't know if I did the entire lawn, who cares I won't be working here next year anyway" He says ...

Can my Employer do this to me?
My aunt works for walmart. her job has allowed her to call off of work when she starts her cycle. the reason is because she bleeds to much and cant be up for a long time. She has called off as ...

I been suspended with pay from work wat next?
I been suspended with pay from work wat next?
i have been suspended from my care home with pay for a medcation issue. i have not dow wat they say i have . can the sack me with out prove or ca ...

My wedding planner cheated me and I'm willing to go to any extent to seek legal justice. I need some advice...
This husband and wife duo not only made my life hell for the few months during the planning by doing a very lousy job. They were very difficult to get in touch with as they refused to return calls or ...

If the company modify the employment contract, can I refuse to sign the amendment if I don't agree with it?

Is it legal for an employer to fine an employee for not showing up to work?

How do I protect myself after walking away from my job?
Hi, I lived in the USA and wondering how do I protect myself after I walk out from my company,after the boss would not pay me my last year vacation.I remember he have ask me to sign on some papers in ...

Have you ever been convicted?
I am currently on probation for ABI on a family member. This is the first time I've ever been convicted of anything but I'm having a hard time getting a good job once my background check is ...

When is mari J gonna be legal?
Is marijuana ever going to be legal in the USA? How about any other drugs for instints they already made heroin in a form of a pill in hospitals but they took some effects away like the vomiting. My ...

Legal age to work?
im 13 in 2 months i will be 14. Im looking for a job and im applying for a busser but how old do you have to be in colorado?...

Why should we hire you?

Forced to work overtime?
my bf works 4 days a week, 10 hours a day. (in a warehouse type place)
for the past few weeks they have been having everyone come in on fridays for overtime. if an employee doesnt show up, they ...

I was promised a raise last month, now the company says they're not giving raises. Is that legal?
I had a great evaluation with my boss and he told me I was getting a 3.5% (small) raise. Now, a month later, the company announced that nobody is getting a raise. Can they promise you something and ...

Is it illegal to give below minimum wage in the state of VA???
I know min. wage is $5.85 in va, is it illegal for an employer to pay me less than that?
Additional Details
its just a receptionist at the hair cuttery.
i'm not sure if it ...

Question On Workers Comp.?
I'm totally lost at how to handle my situation. I was held in a gun point robbery at the place i was working at. I'm suffering post tramatic symptoms like depression, unable to sleep, ...

Is this harrassment and if so what can I do about it?
I have been working at a hospital since April and for some reason my boss really seems to hate me and I mean hate me like nothing ever. I have no idea what I have ever done to her, I show up for work ...

My last employer is giving my a bad reference? Is there anything I can do?
I have had great interviews and up until they say they have to check my previous employment I get nothing........I have a friend checking on references for me to see what they are saying about me. B...

Is it legal to dock a salary exempt employee?
I have been terminated after 10 years of employment, my employer has always docked me at an hourly rate of pay when I was out of the office, even though my title is salary exempt employee. Am I ...

Where can I file a claim of on the job harassment?
I quit my job yesterday do to on the job harassment. That and everyone has been given 5-7 days while I was given only 3. I tried googling the question and got so many articles I was confused.
A...

Should marijuana be legal?
I think it should be legal. no one has ever died from marijuana. It is safer than any other drug that is legal or illegal....

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Thursday, October 30, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links