Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law & Legal Jobs

Can my old employer refuse to pay me for vacation time not taken?
Find answers to your legal question.

Can my old employer refuse to pay me for vacation time not taken?

I quit my old job on good terms but I am getting the run around on my wages due for vacation time not taken. Can they legally not pay what Ive earned.
Additional Details
I'm in Alabama.

Mel
This depends on how your vacation pay program was structured. If you earned time as you went, for example, you were credited with x hours each pay period, then these monies must be paid to you at the time of termination.

If you were on a "use it or lose it" plan, i.e., every Jan 1 you were credited with 40 hours which "expired" if not used by June 1, then your employer does not have to pay you for time not taken since you did not "earn" those hours. Kind of splitting hairs, but most legal issues are like that.

Get a copy of their vacation pay policy and review it to see how they credit hours. If you find that they do owe you $$, the case law that supports it is Suarez vs. US Plastics, 1986. Good luck.

paganmom
Rating
It depends on your state, I live in Ohio and the employer does not have to pay...Indiana companies do have to pay. What state are you in, that would help

This is an exerpt from the Alabama department of Labor website:
Can the Employer keep my vacation pay after I leave the company?
Vacation pay is considered a fringe benefit of the company and is not a required payment by law. It is left up to the employer whether they offer the employee fringe benefits such as severance, vacation, annual leave, sick leave & bonus pay. The only exception would be something written in the company handbook stating that the employee will be given these benefits.

Squat1
Rating
Vacation pay is not governed by any federal law nor by state law in Alabama.

Only by Company Policy or CBA

Cali-Gal
Find out what the labor laws in your state say about vacation time. Here in California, vacation time is time earned, therefore it is time to be paid whether it is taken or not at the time of termination.

murrayc
Rating
You earn vacation by the completion of the year. Remember when you got your first vacation after 1 yr?

An employer usually doesn't not have to pay unused vacation time, sick days, or unused personal days.

Helen Scott
It depends on what state you live in.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Recruitment Law..........?
What is the law regarding wording of adverts for recruitment?
I notice in the local paper today that the NHS and a private firm are asking people to download the application form and apply via ...

If a lesser price was advertised and not honored at store is that legal?
saw a price of an car in a flyer from their auto store but when i called they stated it was a misprint sorry its actually 2x the price....is that okay or do I have some kinda lee way with the ad bing ...

Can I complain about my useless boss, line manager?
My manager joined my team in Oct 07. Ever since he started the job he has been unable to cope. He has no idea what work his team produces and therefore gets easily confused when co workers ask him ...

What Should I Do Please Help!!! SCHOOL OR WORK?
Okay I am in High School and I really have been persuing the law occupation but i am not sure how to exactly enter the Field... Many say just go straight into college and work hard, while others say ...

What is a good bachelors degree to get if you are wanting to persue law school?
I just recently got out of the medical field and I was going to school for nursing, but I honestly just don't have the heart for it anymore and I have always been interested in law and criminal ...

Does simple assault count as a crime when applying for a job?
if you check out this website, it makes it seem like it is not a crime .. http://circuit3.blogspot...

Should I go to Law School?
So...I'm very split on what I should do for a living...currently I'm in high school (junior)

I am in varsity debate. 1st place in regionals (and qualified for state). Also, I'...

My Employer just told me they are getting their lawyers after me?
So, this past week, I was given a form by my employer, saying for me to sign to give them consent to talk with my Psychiatrist. Today, I told them I would not sign. They want to know what M...

When I started my job they fronted 56 hours pay, now I'm quiting & owe them the hrs. But my ....?
starting pay was only 11 an hr , now its over 20.00. Is this legal to do? This is a major corporation. Yes I am putting in my 2 weeks notice at which will be 80 hrs.I wld be fine with this if they ...

If an employer gives a worker a week off due to lack of work, does the worker have to use a vacation week?
My mother wants to know if she has to use a vacation week if her employer gives her a week off from work because they don't have anything that needs to be done. Is this just a matter of company ...

What can I do about not recieving nay wage slips from an employer?
My partner has worked for the company for three months and in this time has not recieved a single wage slip. He has asked his manager (who hasn't had one in the three years he has worked for the ...

Do you contact a potential employer if he tells you are being hried and doesn't contact you for a month?
I had been interviewed 2 x both by phone internationally and told I was being put to the next level then I heard nothing back. I sent a christmas greeting and asked if he coudl give me a time line so ...

I resigned from my work "effective immediately" for reasons of emotional distress. the company required 2 ?
weeks notice. i did not anymore expect to receive my bonus, but i expected money from my accumulated hours, which up to the time that i resigned was $ 4300+++. is there a chance i could get aound ...

I am 42, am I too old to go to school to get a paralegal certification ?

Can my previous employer go thru my personal external HD after I've been laid off?

Additional Details
There is nothing illegal, or even company related on it. I used it for my personal files. After being walked out, I asked for it back, and they are holding it for a ...

Does anyone know a good website i can go to for law information on getting paid for a live in job?
if your on a set wage, does it need to still meet national minimum wage?
i need a website that gives the laws on this kind of thing in the UK...any help would be appreciated, thanks!...

Ohio has an at-will employment law. Where can I go to seek legal help against firing practices.?
My employer fired me specifying "Just Cause" as a reason. Personally it was due to my supervisor not liking me, insecurity, and jealousy. Where can I seek legal help for the unwarranted ...

Can u help with this???
Can u help with this???
i started a new job two weeks ago and am currently in training. Ive got a chest infection and have had to take 2 days off due to it. My parents are going mad saying that ...

What are advantages disadvantages to being a lawyer?

What are the legal action I can pursue if a colleague has taken loan and not returning the same.?
A colleague of mine had asked me for financial help. He promised to return the money in 2 weeks. However now he is not answering the phone nor is he returning back my money. He had acknowledge the ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Monday, September 1, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links