Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law & Legal Jobs

Can u get fired over the phone?
Find answers to your legal question.

Can u get fired over the phone?

i had been off work for the whole week. But before then he had me working one day out the week. he cut my hours for no reason. i was the manager of the kitchen. never got into trouble, made sure the all other employees did what they were suppose to do, and did it right the first time. i never got into any conflict with anyone, always on time, work my but off even with two people in the kitchen during rush hour.......

V.T.V.RAM
In U.S., any employee can be legally fired over the phone, in writing, in person, by telegram, by e-mail, or by messenger

joearnold00
You can be fired in person, over phone, in writing, in e-mail. I'm sure even through texting now.

Ringading
Rating
You can probably look it up on the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission website. It has plenty of great legal information. Good luck.

slipknot
I wouldnt think so. But I think they owe you an explanation since you did everything right.

misslabeled
Rating
You can get fired any time, anywhere. The only sticking points is that some states require that your final pay be given to you at the time of termination, otherwise you're still on the clock. But in some states they just have to get it to you within a week, so they can terminate your employment without even seeing you again.

Sad but true.

Judy
Yes you can.

Lily B Talus
yes, but effectively it should be in writing, have a look at your contract

English Babe
No lol or you can take them to the dogs , they have to send a headed letter stating there reasons.

cnn360coffeebubbles
Rating
Yes you can.. my friend got called up and was told "we decided to terminate your employment" please come in and get your last check next week..

It happens..

Kevin M
Yes, but...
your employer needs to have followed their own internal procedures.

If they have failed to follow their procedures you should pursue someone at a higher level and if neccessary set a solicitor on them at least for a reasonable explanation and possibly for reinstatement or compensation (although compensation may be limited to lost earnings until you find a new position, even if they have fired you without reason).

If they don't have procedures your solicitor will be able to hammer them with a simple warning letter but again you are limited to reinstatement or possibly a payment for unfair dismissal which would be limited to lost earnings between jobs.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Am I really stupid for wanting to do this?
First off, I really don't mean to offend people but I've been wanting to move out of the U.S for a while. I've either wanted to go to Canada or India, mainly for a change of pace.

Can I get fired if my daughter inlaw goes into labor and I leave work?
to be at hospital?
Additional Details
I live in CA....

Is it legal for my employer to hold my check?
I work for a spa by appointment only, there are 6 employees. we all work by appointment only. over the weekend one of the technicians came into the spa and stole around $300 from the register. We are ...

---- IS THIS EVEN LEGaL ??????--------
so i went on a job interview on friday- and received a job offer right there on the spot. i happily accepted. Now i get a disturbing email from the person that offered me the job. and he is sorry but ...

Should I go to law school?
For years I've contemplated attending law school (ONLY the full time day programs). However, after completing my undergraduate degree in 2004 I worked for a year in finance and then ended up as ...

Does this sound suspicious?
I applied for a PSR ( Patient Services Representative) at a Medical clinic and after two interviews I was offered the job verbally on a Friday, and I called Monday to accept the offer. The ...

Uk employment law?
I have to go into hospital for an operation and will be off work for a while, am i entitled to sickness pay from my ...

Can anyone tell me if it is legal practise to ?
tape record a disciplinary ...

Dismissed for theft - What will my employers reference say?
Hi all.I was recently dismissed for theft.That's the nitty-gritty of what has happened.
In reality i was in a supermarket(who I drive for as an HGV driver) with my 4 children.My eldest girl ...

Can I ask for a clothing allowance when accepting a new job?
I am being offered a job that requires a suit and tie be worn everyday. My problem is that i only have 1 suit. My question is two part: A) Is it ok to ask for a clothing allowance from a potential ...

Illegal interview question???
I had an interview a few days back....The person who interviewed my asked why I could not work on a certain day. Because I go to church...The person looked a bit funny and then
the person then ...

Hey my sister got fired from work?
is this wrong? she got drunk at lunch time and stripped down to her underwear and ran round the 2nd floor of a corporate lawyers office and then flashed her pups to a partner of the firm.

Do I have to disclose my age when applying for a job?
Worried about age ...

Wal-mart discrimination? Yes or no. ?
Scenario:

Joshua has worked for the Walmart company for three years. He has recently transferred from one store to another. At his previous store Joshua was primarily job coded as a C...

Can I sue my boss for bad work environment?
overtime I develop muscle spasm. tension neck and back pain. due to poor ergonomics. my monitor is to side of me and my keyboard is in front of me. so with my neck constantly turning i develop ...

Can you be on unemployment and start a new job while still milking the unemployment for a couple weeks?
I got layed off in the fall and I am starting a new job in a week, But to be honest times are rough and it would be nice to still get a unemployment check or two while working to get a check as well....

Do I have to raise greivance procedure if been made redundant.?
I have just been told quite suddenly that I have after 4 years to increase my hours from 25 per week to 40 or be made redundant, I work part time because I am a carer. The meeting only lasted a few ...

Will pepper spray work if the person is wearing glasses?

Can someone be fired from work because of Asthma?
Can someone be fired from work because of Asthma? Or would it be covered under the American Disabilities Act?...

Is there a law against employers checking your purse before you leave work?
At my job, it is required that a manager check your purse before you leave the store. After work and before you leave to go to lunch.. They do this to make sure that the employees aren't ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Monday, September 22, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links