Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law & Legal Jobs

Can you be fired from your job if you are signed off sick??
Find answers to your legal question.

Can you be fired from your job if you are signed off sick??

Im currently signed off work due to stress from a bereavement and depression. I know that some parts of my job have been transfered to a central office and it looks like they are downsizing my position. Can they get rid off me without any reason although I am signed off by my doctor?
Additional Details
I have got a doctors sick note and I am currently getting counselling, but also feel very unhappy at work, and had done for a while, so the doctor thinks that has contributed to the state of my health.

Kerry A
Rating
hey hun i think its illegal to sack you when you have a doctors certificate to sign you off, you say you were unhappy in your job before you were signed off, maybe its time you changed your job to do something you really want to do. we spend 80% of our lives at work and so its very important we get job satisfaction, which it doesnt sound like you are getting,be brave and write down a positives and a negatives list about your current job and also a list of all the jobs you would love to try, sounds to me that you need to move on, do a course and get a job (even if its less money) you really want to do!! be happy life really is very short xxxxxxx good luck xx

sl1pped_hal0
we just sacked a guy for being constantly off sick.
we rang him at home as he wasnt in work again.
he threatened us with legal action saying we cant fire him when hes at home. we consulted our legal guys and this is perfectly legal.
sorry

tomandeunice
Be very careful as they may sack you on capability grounds even though your are still on a sick note!

Huge
Rating
You can be made redundant or sacked for breaking company rules wether you are sick or not. However, the company has to give you a valid reason from you can decide if you want to challenge them.

Dramico
Rating
No it is illegal to be disciplined or sacked for being sick, they can stop you from overtime, and to the person who sacked someone for being sick, your employer has broken the law as it is seen as harrassment from your employer, if he did take legal action your company will be paying out thousands

Elle Dee
If they want to fire you then they will find a way, sick or not. If you are unhappy though, it may be for the best. I only started feeling a little better once I closed the door on my horrible first job. You'll be back on your feet that much sooner and that much better if you can start afresh.

squigglekit
Seems that they can dismiss you but have to follow proper procedures.

http://www.employment-solicitors.co.uk/SICKNESS%20ABSENCE-UK%20LAW.htm

allgiggles1984
nooooooooo...but if u lied and they found out, then maybe. but not for bereavement and depression! u need a sick note off ur doc me thinks. they cant do that!

michelle t
Rating
no you cannot be fired as long as you have been signed of by doctor and been given sick note from doctor and you handing you sick notes in to you employer

mommybaby295
I think it depends on whether or not FMLA applies to your company - depends on size. FMLA is the Family and Medical Leave Act. Even under it, you have to go through certain procedures to qualify, so a sick note may not be enough. Also, there is a limited amount of time, it isn't open-ended leave.

stormydays
not legally they cant

after 28 weeks of sickness they can have a chat with you to see if you are going to return soon....but that is it

hr4me
Rating
It depends, is the leave covered under FMLA for job protection? If not, the company does have a right to downsize the position and let you go. (If it is a real downsizing and not just them pushing your job off. Are other jobs being let go? Are other areas of the company being reorganized?)

david b
Rating
i dont think so if yiu have sick note. if you are off for a really long time they can get you medically retired but i think there is some sort of legal process invovled

jamesprior
i fear i am going to lose my job at a hearing next week because i have a lot of time of sick have just been off sick with a bad back that i done at work also in the summer i had my carpol tunnels done on both hands one went ok the other i had problems with i had to see a doctor to do with work and she said i was not fit to return to work but my company did not like that and i also suffer with depression thank you

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Guaranteed working hours. .?
I pay one of my employees 40 hour basic week plus 5 hours guaranteed overtime. Sometimes he works the overtime and more and other times he only works 40 hours but gets paid for 45. He is not happy. ...

Is it legal for a company to keep all of your "sick/leave time" if you just can't use the hours up in time
I still have over 120 hours of "leave time" that has to be used up before December 31, 2007. I have tried to use it but I am a supervisor and when I leave even for a few days...well it'...

I am about to get a job at Otis Spunkmeyer as a delivery driver. Anyone know if they do drug testing there?
(i smoke a little of the wacky-wacky)
Additional Details
SH#*$!! :)...

Im turning 15 and want a job. i want to no is it legal 4 me to work? any1 have any ideas where to work.?
i live in NY. I really want a job badly. Does anyone have a suggestion where to work?...

How long can an employee work you with no break or lunch.?

Can I collect unemployment if I quit my job?
I'm not a scumbag and trying to get free money. I had a job that was an hour and a half away. The company told me they would transfer me to a closer location, but when some moves were made I ...

How hard do you think it is to get accepted into Harvard law school?

How do you cope with the fear of death?
I want to be a Police Officer, but I know that there will always be a sort of fear of what can happen on the job. Is there any way that you deal with this? Just be optimistic?...

Can you fire someone from a job with no question if they have been there less than 12 months?
If someone you've taken on isn't even though they've been spoken to on a few occasions, doing the required job or pulling their weight, can they be sacked? The post has been in ...

When im 14 were could i work??
im 13 right now but i iwll be 14 in january i would like t get some money were the best place me and my friend could work at
Additional Details
well i live in flordia you can be 14 to ...

Can my employer legally cut my rate of pay without giving me notice?
I have worked for my present employer for four years, full time. However I recently stopped working full time hours as I have started another job, but I continue to work part time. In this week'...

Am i still entitled to job seekers allowance?
i've just got myself a months trial in a job but they told me to sign off when i rang up, i forgot to mention im only working 4 hours a week so it isnt full time, do i still have to sign off?...

My friend's employer called to verify her doctors note. Can they do this?
She's pretty sure they just wanted to check and see if she REALLY had an appointment and not sneaking off to a job interview. The appointment really was legit but she felt a little violated and ...

I did a dumb thing, can I be sued for it?
I worked for a co for 2 weeks and tried to straighten out the office and his books, but I could not work for the owner because he created a high stress environment. We yelled daily at each other ...

What are some professions that will be in high demand in the next few decades that pay 100k?

My employer is ideal person. What is your comments?

Employers, be honest, would you hire someone that was on maternity leave?
If you interviewed a variety of people for an IT based job, assuming that they were the most competent, would you hire someone that told you they were on maternity leave or would if put you off?

My boss is saying that she doesnt have to pay me the minum wage cuz im still in high school is that legal?
she is saying she doesnt have to give us the minum wage increase that just went up to 6.55 she is keeping the student workers all at 6.00 an hour is this leagal at all i know its unfair but is it ...

Is a lawyer a great career choice?
I have wanted to be a lawyer since I was 11. (I'm sixteen). I have everything basically all planned out. If I try hard enough I know I can become a great one. However, I would like to hear from ...

What age can you get a proper job where you can get paid?
Because my friend got a job in the pet shop feeding the animals and paid. 's 12.

T...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Sunday, November 23, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links