Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law & Legal Jobs

Can you be fired or threatened for not signing a write up at your job?
Find answers to your legal question.

Can you be fired or threatened for not signing a write up at your job?

A friend of mine said that she got written up and that she could not leave until she signed the form that has the information about her write up. If she does not agree with it, is she legally bind to sign it? Can she get fired for not signing it. She works for a school district.

jobbend
Disciplinary action is policy that is written into individual organizations. It is generally not governed by law, other than the discipline needs to be within the law. Not to be confusing, but if an organization has a formal discipline policy that includes written documentation and a requirement to sign it, then refusal could be grounds for dismissal. Generally however, there is a place for comments from the employee regarding the written warning. If that's the case, a carefully worded response could be called for depending on the situation.

If your friend is a union employee or an employee of the state/city/county, they may also have specific rights based on their contract.

If they are "work at will", then that employee can be written up for violation of policy, fired or let go for any reason or no reason at all, and can leave for the same reason.

smedrik
Rating
If you do not sign your warning write up then yes you can be terminated.

Tammy
Signing is an acknowledgement of receiving the report, not admitting to it. When she signs she simply needs to write next to her signature "do not admit fault" or something like that. In the employee handbook there should be procedures for reputing which usually involves her writing her rebuttal and submitting it to the correct person within 24 hours.

No teachers cannot be so easily fired (unless she is in her first year, then they can hire for anything) because of the teacher union.

netty1130
Rating
I don't know if this varies by state, but I refused to sign a write up once, and they said I didn't have to. They just put "refused to sign" on the paper instead. Or if she signs, she should also put a note on the bottom of the page that she acknowledges that she received a copy, but does not agree with the reason.

blue collar
If you belive the write up was unfair state this on the write up and when you sign your name add I have signed this under duress ,and make sure you get a copy befor you leave the office,

SmartA$$
Rating
Yes, she can be fired for any reason.

rwa000
Rating
yes she can, all has has to do is put her comment before signing, if not yes they can fire her

DILLON
She should get a reasonable amount of time to comprehend the write-up. She is free to write down any comments including denying the charges or adding her explanations. But she has to sign the write-up which merely indicates that she was made aware of the situation.

sandman
Rating
I do not think that the person is legally binded to sign. I believe its more of an acknowledgement of wrong doing. So with that being said it is frowned upon for not siging and could be also considered insubordination. Which then could be grounds for termination. Please someone correct me if I am wrong!!

petunia
i refused to sign an employee policy form because i didnt agree with a paragraph in it, saying that they have the right to fire me with no reason or cause,as it is the new manager has been giving me a hard time since about november 2011.and im scared she wants to get rid of me im 60 yrs old not ready to stop working and she has all this younger adults working.ive been there 10yrs a faithfull and dependeable worker!!!SO she said if i didnt sign the policy paper i had to leave untill my next work day.SO can she do this if not wat can i do???

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

CIA and FBI question (employment)?
I am in the army, nothing like a combat MOS but just finance. I started on a criminal justice degree, and maybe would like to finish it. My question is working for either one, will you spend a lot of ...

Daily Hours?
What is the maximum allowable daily hours that a company work you? And is there a law that against working 80+ hours a week.

I am in the Security industry if that helps best answer my ...

Is it legal in massachusetts to make an employee have two different time cards?
The employer for both jobs is the same, and both jobs give out equal pay. The reason for two timecards is to prevent overtime if the hours of the two separate jobs were totaled each ...

Constructive dismissal local council
I have worked for a local council temporary for over 5 years I have in that time received continuos harrassment about leave time down to basic jealousy Race remards about my Gf I have reported this ...

What should I do if my former boss lied to unemployment about my dishcarge and now I have a phone hearing next
How do I handle my former boss's lying to unemployment when I am trying to get my money for being laid off. How do I handle him telling them I was "let go" for misconduct which is not ...

Are the countries like Usa,australia,Canada really facing shortage of skilled legal workers?
Are the indian law graduates being recruited abroad to fullfill those positions?...

Hi. Does anyone know how much doctors, lawyers and professors get paid?
I have always been dying to know how much professionals get paid such as doctors, attorneys and college professors. Of course it depends on the region, their qualification and the place they work at, ...

I'm a 18year old college freshmen at a 4year school and want to be a legal secratary?
to work my way through school. my real major is political science. do i really need any formal training to be a legal secretary for now? and how much does it pay?...

Convicted felon with a Class A license, need help finding a trucking Co. that will hire me?
My name is Ernesto Patricio, I graduted from a trucking school back on 05/30/2008, So now i have my class A license with my Doubles & Triples & Tankers Endorsments, but i cant find employment ...

If I resigned from a company 3 years ago?
I was the HR mgr., I am now named in a law suit by someone who was terminated after I left, am I obligated in someway to testify for the company?

I know I will need to contact the attorney ...

What is the minimum wage for minors in NJ?
My 15 year old neice is working in East Orange NJ and she's making $5.85 an hour but my other neice is making $7.15 an hour. Is my other neice getting ripped off? I know minimum wave is $7.15 ...

How can i answer the bull$hit questions i get asked at a security job interview?
How am i ever gona get a job, im the worst person ever when it comes 2 answer job interview questions. I am clinically depressed becuase of ...

Minimum overtime pay? Is there a minimum amount of time people should be paid for working on their days off?
I live 1.5 hours from work. If I have to travel, basically 3 hours to do 1 hour of overtime, I actually lost money coming to work, not to mention half of my day. Are there laws in California ...

Am a lawyer.Can anybody find briefs for me.Expecially on legal advice.Thanks.?

Wrongful Termination?
So my dad has been working for this company for 15 years in the logistics department. About a month ago a driver from their biggest client came over demanding that his truck be loaded ASAP. My dad ...

How do find a lawer that will do a hostile work place harrasment suit?
worked for this comp for 34 yrs, 8 yrs ago I was asked to go into another dept, almost from day 1 I was the subject of verble, physical abuse, the last 2 incidents: #1 I was shoved so hard my head ...

Mandatory training?
I got to work last night and,me and my colleague noticed there were training days for us and a few more(we always go to them).They are scheduled for Monday and Tuesday,this coming week(all day 9-5.I ...

Pa labor law question?
My husband is currently working at a jon where they held back his first two weeks. He's getting ready to start a new job and I've been told that if he quits his current job with no notice, ...

Is there any restrictions/unwritten rules on how many staff can be employed or poached from a rival company?

How can I start my career as a Contractor ?
Well,I am studying in my High school's..but I wanna start my career as a contractor ? But i have no idea about this particular profession ...I am studying commerce...so what should I do first ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Sunday, December 21, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links