Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law & Legal Jobs

Can you be on unemployment and start a new job while still milking the unemployment for a couple weeks?
Find answers to your legal question.

Can you be on unemployment and start a new job while still milking the unemployment for a couple weeks?

I got layed off in the fall and I am starting a new job in a week, But to be honest times are rough and it would be nice to still get a unemployment check or two while working to get a check as well. Is this possible without getting caught? I reside in Illinois by the way.
Additional Details
OK You guys are right, sorry for asking.

omallory_us
what you would like to do is called double dipping and it is a federal offense. you could lose the right to receive any further unemployment benefits in the future and have your wages garnished to repay your unemployment.

Charro
It is possible to do and YES you will get caught.

You may not get caught right away but you will eventually and you will have to pay back the money you were overpaid and possibly serve penalty weeks before you would be able to get paid again on a unemployment claim.

Employers are required to report to the Unemployment office any new hires with in a certain amount of time. If the employer fails to do so, the also have to report the wages they pay you every quarter. When they report the wages you earned to Unemployment and it is discovered that you also were receiving Unemployment benefits you will then have to suffer the consequences.

where is everybody?
it's illegal and you will get caught at some point and have to pay it back with penalties

btowntv007
Rating
Sure, if you want to risk going to jail for fraud.

Rock Firestorm
haha. It is NOT possible. You can do it for the whole time you have unemployment. And they won't find out. For about a year or two. Then they WILL find out. Then you'll get a notice telling them you have to pay them back at 33% interest. They'll let you make payment and they decide the payments, so it's not like you can make low payments. So in other words, if you try it, you will get screwed BIG time and deservedly so.

But don't believe me? Give it a shot.

PS. LOL, I couldn't care less about points or thumbs up or down, I just find it funny you actually gave me a thumbs down. Man, I hope you keep your unemployment while being employed. Please, please do.

Alec
Rating
You know the answer withhold being told Bud!

fun1
When you get caught, are you ready to pay the fine? (And lose your new job when they find out you're a dishonest person).

I think it's a sure thing you would be caught. Unemployment offices have access to employment records. When I went to an unemployment office, I was shocked to see that they already knew how much my salary used to be before I got laid off.

sexygalkiki
only till you get your first check first check from your jobs..and after that every Sunday when you claim you put in how many days you work and it will close after that but if you work only two day or three day you case will still be active..but if work full time no..when you claim it will ask you how many days you work and what day you work..you can still get but it wont be *** much *** when you wasn't working

youuushinebrighter
if it is a part-time job and you don't make as much or something... check with your states unemployment

mimi1dreams
Well now that your going to be getting a paycheck ,no, you won't and that's good because there are other people getting laid off who will need that money since you don't need it. That's all they will be depending on, you would know.Don't do that, its just selfish, especially when we know jobs are being lost so much. We all would like an extra check,but as you said times are rough and we can't get it I didn't know you were an exception.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

A question in my job application form that I'm sure must be illegeal?
Hi, I recently got a job in Ireland (won't say where) and my application form was filled with the same old stuff (PPS, etc.) but I was surprised to see towards the back, a question asking what ...

What is the best way to resign from your current job?
I have been working at the same place for almost 7 years. Getting sick of everyones attitude. My boss just screams at me and can not speak to me like a civilized person. I just freeze up and can'...

Is it legal for a company to not hire you because of things on your credit report?
This is stuff from my early twenties for crying out loud! I successfully passed the written test for this position(scored a 90) passed the polygraph test, and after about 3 months of waiting, I was ...

I've accepted a new job, but now think I've made a huge mistake.?
I haven't signed a contract, but I have made a verbal agreement. However, I have handed in my notice with my current employers. How can I call everything off? Or is it too late?...

HELP i am loosing my job to a temp (fixed term worker) is it legal?
contracts ended on the 31st of March for the temps in my factory. 29th march our company reported 32 redundancys, we were told that this involved the whole work force as a result more permenant ...

What should I do when my employer violates our contract?
I signed a contract that involved a raise at my work. I have done nothing to lose this raise, and the reason for the retraction of the raise was "being tighter with money". What are my ...

Do you or do you not like unions?

Additional Details
good i thought i was the only one. lets just say i was the newbie in a job AND i chose not to join the union like the others for a regular fee when asked. they had my ...

Can I make a case in court on this job related incident?
I have been doing tree work for along time! a guy higher up than me quit and my supervisor put me at his spot! I have been doing this crew leader job for more than 4 months and now all of a sudden my ...

Can my firm retract a bonus?
I am being given a performance related bonus today. I intend to resign on Monday as I have found a considerably better job. The timing has not been intentional as I have been looking for some time. ...

Workmans Comp Question?
If your hurt at work, but it was during a 15 min break. Are you covered under workmans Comp?...

Should I complain to my employer or consult a lawyer first, regardng a racist remark by a colleague?
My colleague made a racist remark towards me in front of others.and the situation is pretty bad. Should i complain to my employer first or consult a lawyer and let him/her bring on the issue with the ...

If I resign from my job am i still eligibel for unemployment?
I woudl like to know if I resigned form my job will i still be elligible for unemployment....

Crimminal conviction help?
i have recently got a job at marriot hotel i have to fill in this form but it asks about crimkinal conviction...i have 1 i got caught with a bb a year ago and i got a 12 month discharge it has ...

I am a nurse,i am about to be declared bankrupt,will i have to inform my employers?
i am employed as a psychiatric nurse and deal with clients ...

Good name for Private Investigator agency (all women)?
If I opened up my own PI agency consisting of all women, can someone give me a very good, original name - one that would stand out from everyone else for a bunch of middle aged, nosey women? Be ...

Job interview - discrimination?
My partner and i have a 9 month old child, and my partner recently went to an interview for a part time job at a local supermarket, during the interview, the interviewer told my partner she had seen ...

Fair Reason not to be offered a job?
I applied for a job recently as was told I was not accepted because I didn't have enough relevant experience, which is fair enough.
But also on the grounds of ' we really don't ...

Is it unlawful to go over your staffing agency and apply to the same job position directly?
I got a called from a staffing agency today about a job position in a bank, then my cousin who works in the bank told me about the same job position too!!! I prefer to apply directly though my cousin ...

Reason for leavng job for JSA purpose?
I left my job after more then 3 years because of abuse,not nice atmosphere ,to much job loads,strees, not understanding with managers,no promotion, no pay rise, working only late shift and all ...

How many hours can an employer legally work you in a 24 hour period?
My friend works for a company, and there working 17 hours right now which includes lunch. There is only 7hrs in between shifts before they go back to work again....

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Friday, October 24, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links