Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law & Legal Jobs

Can you fire someone from a job with no question if they have been there less than 12 months?
Find answers to your legal question.

Can you fire someone from a job with no question if they have been there less than 12 months?

If someone you've taken on isn't even though they've been spoken to on a few occasions, doing the required job or pulling their weight, can they be sacked? The post has been in operation about 11 months.
Thanks
Additional Details
It isn't me Erich but someone I know and I personally think he's lucky to still have the job. I'm not sure what his contract says.

Fred F
Rating
There are procedures to be followed in the UK/EU.
It is in fact quite hard to just sack someone for "not pulling their weight".
They need verbal,written and final warnings.

The only time someone can be sacked on the spot is for gross misconduct - which can cover a number of things.

f

Auntie Mame
Rating
Yes. In general, an employer may fire someone at anytime for any (or no) reason, just as you may quit at anytime for any (or no) reason. Exceptions are union or personal employment contracts.

Rachel
Rating
As has been stated, generally rights on unfair dismissal don't kick in until someone has been employed for 12 months, unless they are being dismissed on discriminatory grounds. However, their contract may give them additional rights beyond the statutory regulations. For example, it might state that, once they've completed a short probationary period, they would be given a certain amount of notice by the employer if it was decided to terminate their contract or that any capability or disciplinary issues would be dealt with by the company's disciplinary/capability procedures (which might include giving them warnings and opportunities and assistance in improving their performance). If the employer has broken the terms of the contract in dismissing them, they could claim 'wrongful dismissal'.

bud
yes you can, if you are going to do it, do it now before the 12 months is up then they have more rights.

Amy
Rating
Is your state at will? My state is. If it is, yes they can. But it does depend on what his pay plan (that he probably signed, like a contract) says. That does not mean that you can't bring up a wrongful termination case though.

ERICH M
What does it say in your contract? I'm sure they have to give you notice, being sacked doesn't sound good? you didn't explain why?

A J
yes, simply most employers will get rid of you at this time if they wish for no reason as if you cross the 12 month limit you can then claim for unfiar dismissal

MrKnowItAll
Rating
The law in every state is different. In Massachusetts you don't need a reason to fire someone, UNLESS 1.) You are firing them for certain legally prohibited reasons, (such as them being black) 2.) They have an employment contract, or 3.) They work for the government.

As long as you are not firing them for a prohibited reason (and they have no reason to think you are) and they don't have an employment contract, you are probably good. If they have a contract, read it. I don't think probationary periods mean as much as they used to.

Ipod... I am your father
As far as I know the employee must be issued a verbal warning, then a written warning, and then a final warning and if the conduct of the employee has not improved they can be fired.

Really depends on the employees contract or if there's a union.

I know on my contract there's a lope hole that states you can be dismissed for gross misconduct without warnings.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

What age can you get a proper job where you can get paid?
Because my friend got a job in the pet shop feeding the animals and paid. 's 12.

T...

10 POINTS!!!! Is it legal for your employer to deduct money from your paycheck?
UNDER TEXAS LAW:

lets say that at the beginning of a job the employer gives you the employee handbook to sign, meaning that you agree to the terms, and in that handbook it states that if ...

Legal to write you up for using more sick days??
I have 5 sick days a year to use at my job. I have gone over that amount....I have children. they get sick. I do too. He has given me a written warning for "attendance" I dont;' ...

Would you hire someone in this situation?
He wants the job and has the qualifactions you have seen his work and like what you see but he will need to take some ytime off soon after you hire him (about two weeks)for an operation and then ...

Getting caught using the net at work!?
I was on holiday last week & came back to my boss showing my his evidence of me using the net with all the times I logged in & all the YA questions I answered came up, I was so embarrassed &...

Can an employer restrict what you do on a paid break? Read on...?
My employer does not allow you to leave the premises on a paid break, this was fine before the smoking ban, however now you cannot smoke on the premises what can you do?!

Surely legally an ...

What is the best way to tell my employer that I'll be leaving for law school this summer?!?!?
Ok, I've been working as a file clerk at a law firm for 2 months now (you may have read my previous question). When they hired me, I didn't tell them about my intentions to go to law school,...

How do I explain a criminal record from 10 years ago to a potential employer?
It's a felony conviction for recklessly endangering safety while armed. I haven't been in trouble since August of 1997....

How much education is needed to be a Lawyer? Also to be a physician?
I am really trying to figure out a great career path for myself. I am still young but am getting a 4 year late start....

Can employers terminate without giving proof?

Does anyone know?
by law how long should you get for a lunch break if you work as a receptionist. I know joiners etc... are only entitled to 30mins but i thought people in offices etc.... were entitled to longer. Can ...

I was let go from my job because I said.......?
we need a union.

what do you think about that.

I live in the south and I am a healthcare worker....

How can i find someone if i only have an email if im not in the FBI?
this person scamed because apparently i was stupid. a person offered me a wierd job and i accepted and now that they job is done he refused to pay me and he moved out of state all the contact info i ...

I have lost my job .?
I have been told today that i have 3 months to find another job because they are stopping my particular hours which i have worked for the last 3 years (they have offered me hours i am unable to do). I...

In Missouri, can your employer fire you if they change your work schedule and you disagree with the change?

What's my legal position.?
I ordered a buffet from an outside caterer to be delivered today. Yesterday afternoon they rang and told me that although they are still doing the buffet, they don't have a driver to deliver it. ...

Is it "unsafe" to be forced to work with a disuptive and threatening employee?
I believe I am about to be asked to work with a disruptive troublemaker on an important project. This individual has regularly threatened supervisors but has been somewhat protected by the manager. I ...

Could i get fired for being late to work?
So i was late for work today. Alarm didnt go off. Was 2 hours late for work. never done anything wrong before. Is there a chance I could get fired for this?
Additional Details
Just to ...

What does being on probation actually mean? In regards to starting a part-time job.?
I got my first part time job about 5 weeks ago, and it says on my forms and stuff that I will be on probation for the first 6 months of employment. It hasn't really had any effect on me so far, ...

Is it legal for my boss to show up at my house?
My employer was unable to get ahold of me this evening (after my normal working hours), is it illegal for her to come to my home and chastise me?

Personally I think it's crossing the ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Saturday, October 25, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links