Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law & Legal Jobs

Can your job tell you that you can't leave property during lunch time?
Find answers to your legal question.

Can your job tell you that you can't leave property during lunch time?

Additional Details
I am required to clock out, so i don't get payed for it..

sixx p
Rating
They can. Unfortunately, depending on the type of work you do and where you live as well as if you are paid for breaks or not, the labor laws are written so vaguely that even an accident on your lunch break may be covered under these laws. For example, if you work for a company that provides paid breaks and lunch time, they can in fact tell you that you may not leave the premises because if something happens to you on your break, they may be found liable under insurance, workman's comp and labor law regulations. I worked for a company like this where we had paid 15 minute breaks and lunch hour. Across the street (2 lane road) was a strip plaza with restaraunts and a convenience store with cheap food. It was maybe 150 yards from the building I worked. I was scolded for leaving to go there one day and told if I was hit by a car during that time, their insurance would have had to cover me because I was being paid, therefore covered by all insurance, workman's comp and labor laws. So if a car had hit me, the store had been robbed, etc, my employer still could have been found at fault to some degree even though they had no control of the matter. Sounds crazy, but unfortunately, true. If you are not paid for breaks, I believe (depending on the state) you cannot be told where to go or not go. You are relieved of all duties at the point you punch out, the same as you are at the end of your work day. You are not being paid from the point you clock out in that situation so therefore, most laws could not hold your employer liable for what happens during your lunch break unless federal law has a provision that specifically states this.
Also, another thing to consider is if you leave your building or are in the work area (for example, contractors, construction work), those employers may be liable if something happens if it is on their property or in their vehicle.

☼djmom11☺
Where my son-in-law worked they had to take their breaks on the property or clock out and be docked the time. Usually you are not paid for your lunch time, so you should be able to leave if you want. Unless you are in the military, they should not be able to tell you where to eat lunch.

Lethal Dose Of American Hatred
Rating
Well, it depends. If it's a paid lunch then you usually aren't allowed to leave the premises because if something happened they would be liable because you are still "on the clock". Non-paid lunches it usually doesn't matter because you are "off the clock".

However it has been my experience that if you do get a paid lunch break and you need to leave the premises all you need to do is ask. Most will allow you to sign out or clock out and do so, provided, you are back before it is time to resume work.

pepper
Rating
Sure they can.

123..WAIT!
Rating
Are they paying you, or are you off the clock?

Sulla
They can but I'd be looking for a new job b/c that is BS!

Darby
Rating
Hmm, you better read your work rules and if that is part of your employment, yes they can. If they tell you not to leave the worksite, and you do, it could be grounds for your removal. So what's going on with the other employees.

JFS (made of cute)
Yes.

leysarob
Yes, and as long as the lunch break is longer than 20 minutes they don't have to pay you for the time you are at lunch.

In fact, if you leave the property, they can fire you.

And it does not matter what other departments do. Just follow the rules.

Hey there
If it is a paid lunch, then yes. If your leaving would somehow jeopardize the security or your response time (like a correctional officer, medical staff, and the like) then yes. If they have never allowed it (past practice) then yes. However, if you don't get a paid lunch and its not in your contract, they can't enforce it.

phlebrcn
Rating
if your on there time they can but if you clock out for lunch then you can do what you please

oakly
Rating
I would say if you clock out for a lunch time and there not paying you.. then u can do whatever you want your not on there time !!

Riverman
Yes they can, most states your employer has to pay hourly wage during this time.

ncbc4evr
Rating
Absolutely NOT!! If you are off the clock, you can do whatever you want! It is definately illegal for them to tell you that you cannot leave the property!

Anna S
Rating
No they can't. Once you punch that time clock, regardless if it's to end you shift or to go to lunch, they can't tell you what to do because you are on your time, not theirs.

Ryan G
Rating
They can't if your not on the clock. Your 15 minute breaks are a different story

diane
i know my rights and once you punch out your employer tell you cant leave the building once you had clock out it is not right who can i talk to about this matter.

diane
who can i talk too about this matter

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Can an employer legally require you to divulge a second job or self-employment?
Recently, my company announced that all workers would have to divulge any second jobs or self-employment, and furthermore, have them approved (or denied) by the General Manager as a condition for ...

Am i entitled to a break ?
I work for 7 hour, 3 in the morning with an hour dinner (unpaid) and 4 in the afternoon. Am i entitled to a break in the afternoon and if so should i be paid for it ?
Additional Details
N...

What if my career test says...?
I am a sophomore in high school and I am leaning toward the law field for a career. My nature is very soft and emotional and people tell me I cant handle the competitive field of law.

R...

Workplace ethics: My spouse strongly suspects the boss listens in on incoming phone calls at work. Thoughts?
The boss also apparently monitors conversations. Legal issues here or better to just move on?...

Is putting a sign up at work gross misconduct if it is against the company?

Can an employer terminate your employment if you become a patient under the mental health act 1983?

Minimum wage!!!?
Im a minor (16) and i work at a Big Boys and im getting paid 6.50 and hour which i just found out is under The minimum wage which just recently got bumped to 715 and even before that i was getting ...

Laid off work is it legal?
Is it legal for my boss to lay me off work without ...

Can you sue???
Quick question...

Can you sue your employer if you work 12 hours a day and only get 30min break working on a wharehouse?
Additional Details
I live in Houston TX 77058
<...

What do you think of Magistrates?? Just interested?
My personal opinon is that they are;
Uneducated social climbers..

Simply because they require a Court Clerk to outline legal principles for them, they have approximately 4 weeks legal ...

I was recently terminated from my job for violating company policy. Should I divulge this on applications ?
I was employed as a department manager for 11 years with my last employer. I always had acceptable or better annual reviews. I went outside of company policies to complete my job one day and was ...

My son doing night shift is this legal?
my son and his friend are both under 18 and they are been told to do night shift for royal mail which was done through a agency called reeds. having done some research into it i found that it is not ...

Will a law degree leave me cursed with a boring life of contracts and paperwork?
I feel like I have made the wrong choice, should I just finish?...

What is the best job title for my new job?
My new job will entail using my skills as Office Manager, Senior Paralegal and Marketing Manager/Coordinator. My boss recommended Office Manager, Senior Case Manager but I don't know. S...

Which practice of law pays the most?
I'm curious which area of law brings homes the highest salary. Also will a large law firm pay more than a smaller one?
Additional Details
Also, will my average-looks keep me from ...

Realistically, how old it too old to ...?
I really want to go to law school but I would be 38 when I finished. Is that too old to even consider going to law school? Wouldn't it be harder to compete against the 26-27 year olds in the ...

Is this overreacting....?
Apparently somone's lunch at work was taken from fridge and this person has made a big deal out of it taking it to HR requesting either the quilty contractor be fired or employee be written up. H...

Is it legal for an employer to publicly post actual employees' wages?

Color Coding Job Aplications... legal?
I went into a family video store to rent a movie and over heard a converstation between a girl putting a job application in and the manager. The conversation went something like this. (man.) What ...

Is it legal for an employer to create new job positions or promotions without them being advertised ?
What can be done about promotions or jobs being created for current staff without them going to an open interview for the public to apply for.

is there an annonymous complaints procedure ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Wednesday, July 30, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links