Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law & Legal Jobs

Did my employer breach its contract with me?
Find answers to your legal question.

Did my employer breach its contract with me?

I am a US employee on secondment to the UK. My contract states that while in the UK I am to be "tax protected" (i.e. pay the same tax rate as I would had I been living in the US). This did not happen for the first 9 months of my employment in the UK. In fact, for the first 9 months I was paying both UK and US taxes, taking home less than half of my paycheck. Finally, after much complaining I was able to get it fixed "going forward". However, the company still has not reimbursed me (3 months after my paycheck was fixed) for the period of time where I was being taxed incorrectly and I now want to resign.

My concern is that when I agreed to take the UK assignment, the company gave me a signing bonus with the restriction that it would have to be repaid if I left voluntarily or was fired for cause.

I believe that because my company breached its contract with me, I do not have to repay the signing bonus. Further, I believe the company still owes me money for the period of time when I was being taxed incorrectly. Can anybody tell me if I am correct? Any advice on how to resign?

garykung
Technically your employer did not do anything wrong. You are required to pay UK tax because your work is performed in the UK.

However, due to tax treaty, you only have to match up your rate difference with the US.

For instance, you are paying 15% in US and you need to pay 20% in UK. You are not required to pay the US tax anymore.

Same situation, if you are paying 25% in US and you need to pay 20% in UK. You just have to match up the 10% difference.

Also, US tax regulation provide a hugh credit to overseas employment. You may end up paying nothing.

You should consult an accountant to see if it is the case.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

IS THIS LEGAL.. PLEASE HELP ASAP?
actually i have a bit of a problem...
my hours were changed at prospect airport services.. they were 2:30pm - 11pm.. the day after my first day of working those hours, a supervisor changed them....

What is the process of getting a degree as a lawyer?
I'm in high school and I'm interested in becoming a prosecutor, but I don't know what I have to do to get my law degree. Is there a specific path of schooling you have to take? And ...

Convicted felon seeking jobs?
I am a convicted felon and am seeking part time or full time work to support myself and my pregnant ...

Salaried empoylees pay cut 20%?
In Texas can an employer cut salaried non exempt employees ...

Woman living in Spain wants to move & live in UK with her family?
My Sister has being living in Spain for 8 years . She is married and has two daughters'. She is not a spanish Citizen, She has come before and stayed in the UK for 5 Years. I would just like to ...

If you change work places, are you allowed to work in same field elsewhere?
For example if I worked with a phone company like Orange & then my contract finishes or somehow change work. Can I go to O2 or Vodaphone or will they be some restriction because of the fear that I...

Is there anything I can do legally against my employer?
Me and my girlfriend recently applied for an apartment. Part of the application process is employment verification. The process of employment verification is the management at the apartments fax over ...

What can I do about previous employers giving wrong information during employment verification?
I have been trying for months to find a new job and I thought maybe a past employer was giving a bad reference. So, I created a generic employment verification form and faxed to all my past ...

Some lawyer or Law student, please help me out!?
"The parties currently hold title to the Property as community property. The parties shall transfer their current respective interests to the PARTIES as tenants in common".
Can someone ...

I got the job, but lied about a previous employment?
Now my new employers require my P45 form which dates as me leaving a job in 2004. I lied I worked somewhere and now i'm in danger of being found out.......I know its my fault and shouldn't ...

Is there a free legal service here in singapore ?
is there a free legal service here in singapore for those who cannot afford to pay a lawyers fee
Additional Details
WHERE?PLS NEED HELP...

Is it against the law to deny a male a job because of toileting duties?
Some time ago I posted a question about male SPTAs refusing to toilet or change diapers on girls:
http://answers.yahoo.com...

Help! Should i enter international law or Medicine?
I like both careers. I am interested in medicine especially plastic surgery. I am in high school and am not so great in math, but i am good at geometry. In the sciences i am good to but not super ...

In uk shop we have been told if we work 6 hrs we have to take an extra half hour break is this legal?
We have always been allowed a 15 min paid break but since we got a new boss we have been made to take an extra half hour unpaid break if we work six hours .
The bad thing is that they make us ...

Is it legal to lower someone's wages even though their performance on the job hasn't decreased?
I live in Texas. I've been working for the same company for almost 19 years. I've been making $15.75 an hour for the last few yrs. because they say I've peaked out for the amount I ...

From doctors to lawyers!?
I'm looking at a career change from the health care field to the judicial system. I currently don't have a degree so whats the best step to take and what are some types of degrees or ...

Do i have to pay tax in UK ?

I live normaly in UK (UK resident), but the whole last tax year (since march 2008) I live and work in Germany where I have to pay income tax as i spend more then 6 months here . Do i need to ...

Oooh!ceiling collapsed!?
6mths of therapy....head neck and back injuries ....permanant disabled for 3mths. the ceiling collapsed knoocking me into the ground. how much this is worth,,,,this happened inside a multi unit ...

Is this grounds for Slander?
The girl i work with has lied about a million times about me and a lot of other people. She has told my fiance that i said he was ugly. She did that twice. NOT true. She has told my boss things ...

How should I format my resume, taking into consideration I have been unemployed for nearly 8 months?
Unfortunately, I am in a bad situation b/c I have a questionable job history. I have been let go from most of my previous jobs, one of which was for a reputable fortune 500 company, which I had ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Thursday, July 31, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links