Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law & Legal Jobs

Do all companies do background checks? If so how far back do they go? I was convicted of a felony 15 years ago
Find answers to your legal question.

Do all companies do background checks? If so how far back do they go? I was convicted of a felony 15 years ago

roadrunner426440
Rating
my company goes all the way back

If the position is management or involves a fiduciary responsibility they should and likely will check

If you can, you should explore with an attorney to see if you can have your offense expunged - this assumes you have been really really really good over the last 15 years

coolman
Yes, they do and they judge you by that, I had a friend who was similiar to you, but there are some nice employees who will hire you, despite your past history!!

The_Cat_Lady
Some do, some don't. You have to weigh the odds of them not hiring you due to your conviction or them finding out later and firing you for lieing on your application.

If it was 15 years ago and you've been a good boy since then with a work history to back it up, you could tell them you made a mistake when you were young and stupid, but you've learned your lesson and are on the strait and narrow.

Or you can lie and hope that your good behavior and work performance will be enough if they ever find out.

Purrs,
The Cat Lady

Bassline
Most background checks involve checking for criminal records...So if you have one and they check, they will find it. Entry level jobs tend not to do background checks, most will just call any past employers that you list on your application, if that. The higher up you go, the more likely they are to do background checks. Anything that involves money or confidentiality is likely to do a background check though, but this does not automatically mean that you will be disqualified.

DennistheMenace
you been on here for a week.....still aint heard an answer you like yet? then you probably wont.......quit chor
whinnin...............

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

I am unemployed can you help me?
I trying to get a job for the last 4 months I have 5 years experience on construction and framing.I live near to seatlle wa .Please I really need a job....

Is it legal to rewrite a work schedule in the middle of that work week?
The schedule has been posted for at least a week. If it's a tuesday and the schedule is rewritten from that Wednesday on, and the employees do not agree, is this legal?...

Is it legal to ask current employees what their education level is?
I would guess that it could be, since they obtain that information when hiring. But, I was just handed a form to fill out asking me what the highest level of education I achieved was, what type of ...

Employer stated I quit, but I never said that what now?

Who makes more, a lawyer working for the DA or a defence attorney???

I have a fenoly which is ten years old for controlled substance?
how do i get it expounged and will it afecct me from practiing i am a psyc. major want to do clinical will i get licenced with this on my record....

OK i want to apply for a job at Rite Aid, so I called the Rite Aid employment number and answered questions...
I Answered all of the questions saying i have never been convicted of any crime, I have never done drugs, etc AND AT THE END OF THE CALL IT SAYS I DONT MEET THE MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS OF THE POSITION!!!...

Is this considered retaliation at my place of work?
So 6 months ago I requested to my supervisor that I needed to step down to focus on my personal and family issues as I found out my mother had terminal cancer. Well, unfortunately I allowed him to ...

I need some legal advice, please?
I have this 600 dollar keyboard.. I used to play but I was going through a crisis for a while so I wasn't playing at the time. My brother took the keyboard WITHOUT ASKING ME and brought it to ...

Is my boyfriend's employer allowed to hold money?
My boyfriend is a plumber, who does strictly new homes, he started as an hourly and now his employer is changing to piecework. However, the employer wants to hold money from his pay in case ...

Do employers really have the right to treat employees however harshly they want?
Obviously I'm not talking about physical abuse, but what about emotional abuse? I've had bad experiences with bosses yelling and screaming and throwing things over such stupid nonsense and ...

What type of jobs can you get if you study law?
thinking about studying law but I'm not sure of the jobs which i can get to do with law. can somebody name me them and explain what the job is about? do you have to go university to study law?<...

Is it legal to record someone?
9 months ago I quit from working at this hotel because i knew the manager will fire me due to losing some important keys. After quiting i tried different location of that hotel and about 10 of them ...

Is there a legal word for this?
if you don't want your name released for something?

like you got into a car accident and they wanted to put it on tv. but you tell them not to say your name or show your picture or ...

What happens if i don't work my notice?
i am a bit fed up with my job and am looking for something different. but i have to give 4 weeks notice which i think is going to get in the way of things a bit. does anyone know what can happen if ...

Math used for being a Lawyer?
I am doing a math project and I was wondering if anyone could tell me the following information:

Some types of math used for being a lawyer:

and

How often would you ...

Question...is it legal to give a long term employee a % of their vacation pay?
The non-profit company I have been working for several years (7+) is closing due to financial issues and government cut backs. They are even considering bankruptcy. We were informed that we would not ...

Can a 12 year old get a job somewhere? in Louisana anyway?

Is it legal for employers to reject job-seekers because they have piercings or tattoos?
It doesn't seem fair to be rejected for your appearance. Is this an urban myth or fact?...

Is this legal ,terminated because would not go to a seminar after hours and not getting paid.?
I was fired because I did not go to a seminar after hours that I was not getting paid for my boss said that it was mandatory but I am would be getting paid for going. There was no notice of the ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Wednesday, October 22, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links