Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law & Legal Jobs

Do i still pay holiday pay if my employee quits?
Find answers to your legal question.

Do i still pay holiday pay if my employee quits?

he has worked for 8 months and just walked out , he has taken no holidays in that time .
am i still liable to pay holiday pay .
i'm not shy of paying it .in contract it was 1.6 days a month
cheers

Michael H
Rating
yes, pro-rata.

Assuming you are in the UK, then the other answers are wrong. The person has earned the holiday pay on a monthly basis and you have to pay them, even if they are sacked for gross misconduct, they ahve still earned the holdiay pay. Pretty much like you have to pay them wages up to the day they walk out.

Paul Rules
Rating
If they've broken contract and not given notice you dont pay them anything!

Pink Laydee
No you dont have to give him a penny.

davewasbaloo
Hmmm it depends. If he has complied with your policy on giving notice and his contract does not stipulate the impact for annual leave, then you must pay the entitlement for each full month employeed. However, if he breached his contract and did not give you the necessary notice period, then you are not liable (under UK law).

May I suggest you look at www.DWP.gov.uk for more info (if in the UK)

liane1312
Rating
If an employee walks out without giving notice then you only have to pay them out the difference between the notice period and what holiday leave they have left

fengirl2
Rating
How much notice was he required to give you? If this is not stated in his contract, then the statutory minimum of one week applies. He broke his contract without giving notice, so you are entitled to retain a week's wage - set this off against the holiday pay due and pay him the difference.

John T
Rating
in Australia it depends whether the employee was casual or permanent if only casual they should receive a loading normally 15% on top of the hourly rate if full time then the holiday pay is due

DennistheMenace
why? most places require you to work the day before, and after a holiday.
regular hrs, not weekends.

BettyBoopGirl
Rating
no because he just did you wrong.
so now just pay him the days he did work.

k
Rating
If they walked out without giving you any warning you do NOT pay them anything that they earned since the last pay day. As they took no holiday, you can keep the money as THEY owe YOU money by rights.

Tufty Porcupine
Rating
I wouldn't voluntarily pay holiday pay.
He has, as has been said, broken the terms of his contract by not turning up for work without giving notice. Let him request the holiday pay - I'd be surprised if he pursues it.
If he does - suggest that he take the matter to court and that if he does you will issue a counter claim for the loss of business and additional expense of short-term cover behind him (it's a bit of a bluff, but I bet it'll work). It is not an adequate defence on his part to claim that he left early by taking a week's annual leave. If he did not give you advance notice of his intention to do so he is in breach of his contract.

The answer below from Michael H is factually incorrect. If the person had been dismissed the situation would be different and you would be required to pay all outstanding money owed up to that point. However, this is not the case. This employee has left owing you at least one weeks' labour and in breaking his contract is liable to be sued by you in a court of law.
My advice stands - do not pay it, wait for him to make a claim.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

I cant decide........?
should i stay with my current employer or should i move on.... new job = less money & more travel BUT more opportunities? current job = more money less travel but limited opportunities just yay ...

Temp worker for almost 2 years - This LEGAL??
My husband has worked through a temp agency for almost 2 years. He is contracted to work at Honda of SC. He has had perfect attendance - good work ethic, etc. Now they are saying that he will ...

I'm 27 years old and thinking about changing career and becoming a lawyer/solicitor. Am I too old?

WORK MAKING ME SICK - should I stay in hell or should I go?
I have mayor work issues. I really cant explain everything in detail (Not enough space) but I've gone to seek professional help - and it's blown up in my face. I went to the labor dept and ...

Can they fire you on your last day?
So i didnt show up on my last day and didnt call, what can they do to me? can they ruin my reference?...

Need HELP!! plz!?
if you test negative for pre employement drug test and ur not a citizen, do they send the results to ins or is it confidential?

just ...

What are your top three reasons fo not wanting to work at a correctional facility?
Prisons seem to have a hard time getting employees. What state do you live in?...

Am I being Harrassed at work?legal advise needed?
For a while now I am being accused of things that are completely untrue due to rumours being spread around my company. For example, a while back a family member was rather ill and I needed to take ...

If a guy sneaks into the U.S. without a visa, and works and is paid in cash, does the law require him to pay a
percentage of that money to the IRS, as income tax?...

When you have a job, and looking for another, are you entitled time off to go to job interviews?
I am not sure the rules on time off for interviews???!...

If you knew a supervisor and his whole department were smoking weed and drinking on the job would you report?
them to management?...

Would like all your opinions on this matter!?
I was fired on May 17, 2009. The reason for this was as follows: A note in my handwritting was found beside a computer at the store where I worked. Another employee found it on my day off. It was ...

Employer won't pay?
Where do I stand legally if an employer won't pay me ? It was part time job. Is there any reason they can not pay you? I've been told by nearly everyone that I have to be paid, but it'...

Lying on my resume?
I'm sick of getting the shi# end of the stick, and I've decided that I'm going to lie on my resume. I've seen too many idiotic people get a job that pays way better than what I�...

Is it legal for an employer of a restaurant to ask for head shots along with the application?

I have been on at my job for 10 yrs. My employer only give me a 1 week vacation. How many weeks should I get?

Is this legal on breaks?
hi, i work a 7 and half hour shift and get a 30 min break, is this right? Also i am going to be working 9 hour days next week with a 30 min break is this right? I know after 6hours you get 20 mins ...

Can I get fired for calling in sick too many times?
I live in Southern California and my job is about 1 1/2 hour away from me...I have called in sick at least 4 times this month. I have also called in sick at least twice a month...I don't provide ...

Can you be fired for giving notice?
On at least one job I had, I gave notice that I had a better job coming up in two weeks and was planning on quitting then. But instead of appreciating the fact that I gave them time to put an ad in ...

Can you fire somone through an email?
I have a bookeeping side job that I had my hands tied on what I could actually do for the client, so he fired me and told me it was because he wanted someone with a more experience. Part was my ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Saturday, September 20, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links