Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law & Legal Jobs

Do job applicants have the right to know why employment is denied to them from that company?
Find answers to your legal question.

Do job applicants have the right to know why employment is denied to them from that company?

I was denied employment and told they don't they don't have to give a reason.

michr
Rating
if the reason was due to the background check they must do as 'John P' has noted but that is only if a background check was the reason.
otherwise the employer does not have to tell you why they decided to not hire you.

woodlands127
The job is theirs to give or not as they see fit, they don't owe you an explanation.

Judy
Rating
They are correct, they don't have to give you a reason. Why would you think you have a right to force them to hire you?

v b
John P makes a good point, though many jobs don't have financial background checks.

Yes, if you knew why someone else was considered a better candidate you might be able to tailor your job search; unfortunately, many employers rightfully believe that if they give out too much information, they will someday get sued.

John P
What is a Consumer Report?
A consumer report contains information about your personal and credit characteristics, character, general reputation, and lifestyle. To be covered by the FCRA, a report must be prepared by a consumer reporting agency (CRA) — a business that assembles such reports for other businesses.

Employers often do background checks on applicants and get consumer reports during their employment. Some employers only want an applicant's or employee's credit payment records; others want driving records and criminal histories.

Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA)
Key Provisions of the FCRA Amendments
Written Notice and Authorization.
Before you can get a consumer report for employment purposes, you must notify the individual in writing — in a document consisting solely of this notice — that a report may be used. You also must get the person's written authorization before you ask a CRA for the report. (Special procedures apply to the trucking industry.)

Adverse Action Procedures
If you rely on a consumer report for an "adverse action" - denying a job application, reassigning or terminating an employee, or denying a promotion — be aware that:

Step 1: Before you take the adverse action, you must give the individual a pre-adverse action disclosure that includes a copy of the individual's consumer report and a copy of "A Summary of Your Rights Under the Fair Credit Reporting Act" — a document prescribed by the Federal Trade Commission. The CRA that furnishes the individual's report will give you the summary of consumer rights.

Step 2: After you've taken an adverse action, you must give the individual notice — orally, in writing, or electronically — that the action has been taken in an adverse action notice. It must include:

The name, address, and phone number of the CRA that supplied the report;
A statement that the CRA that supplied the report did not make the decision to take the adverse action and cannot give specific reasons for it; and
A notice of the individual's right to dispute the accuracy or completeness of any information the agency furnished, and his or her right to an additional free consumer report from the agency upon request within 60 days.

myrtle1beach
Rating
I never heard of the credit report before, mainly its the the background check & references.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Im a law student, but somehow, I secretly wish I were a writer. How do I compromise?
Please note: Im an international student (from the Maldives) so I dont have the priveledge of changing courses as you can do here in the UK. So for me a transfer would be impractical and unfeasible. B...

If I'm interviewing for a position other than an attorney position at a law firm, how would I answer this?
"Why do you want to work at our company?"...

I'm leaving a job I love because of an extremely verbally abusive boss. HR won't do anything about her.
She is not only verbally abusive to me but to my coworkers. She will literally rant and rave at her employees. She was screaming so loudly at one of us one time, that the construction workers ...

When is it right to give an ultimatum to your prospective employer for not giving definite date of employment?
My propspective employer gave me a job offer, which i accepted. I met him already personally, and said he is just fixing the employment pass. Several weeks passed, and still no date set as to when we ...

What can i do if i got stuck with a used car that is a lemon?
i bought a 2000 alero for 4500 bucks, 4 months ago
well it started having problems in july, i took it to the shop they found the problem and fixed it cost me another 1200 bucks, not to mention ...

What should i put as a good resume with no work experience?
I AM APPLYING FOR A JOB. I DONT KNOW HOW TO MAKE A RESUME. I HAVE NO EXPERIENCE WITH FOOTLOCKER AND I NEED TO PUT SOME GOOD STUFF IN WHAT SHOULD I DO?...

Collecting unemployment question?
Hi,
I'm currently collecting unemployment, and the last week I should be collecting the benefits will be the week ending 04/18. My sister's wedding will be on 04/19 in Canada. My ...

Do all lawyers have to specialize in a type of law?
My friend and I were talking about her new job at a law office. I asked her "what type of law does the lawyer practice?" she answered "all kinds."

I have another ...

Is this a redundancy situation - if not does TUPE apply?
My mother works for a company which is ceasing trading as one entity but is going to start trading as another, doing broadly the same type of business.

She has been offered redundancy, ...

I called in sick and the boss called back three times during the day to check up. Is this legal?

I think I am being harassed by my employer, but not sure.?
My ex works for at the same company as I do, and he and I are cool. We have very little contact with each other because of the details of his job, but about every six months or so we will have to ...

I am dismissed from my job will i loose my bonus?
I was dismissed on 19th of March after two months of being in Suspension. I was dismissed on 19th and i was supposed to be paid last Friday as i get paid monthly. they did not pay me, they said they ...

Can I take legal action..??
I recently got the sack from my job this month, but i wasn't given any notice or anything. the reason i got the sack was because of my poor performance. it was a sales role. being sacked for ...

Firing a lawyer???????????
I hired a lawyer last week to handle an accident lawsuit. I signed papers for him to represent me with his secretary but now i am thinking to go to another lawyer simply because my current lawyer is ...

Who is more likely to get shot on the job, a police officer or a convenience store clerk?
Please cite sources and supporting stats....

What process would a paralegal take in order to become a lawyer?
I live in Texas and I am a senior this year....

Could an employee still offer you a promotion if they are pregnant ?
could an employee still offer you a promotion if they are ...

Is it legal to be asked about FMLA taken at former job?
I have a potential employer who really likes my qualifications , says I'm what they need but the Fmla I took on my former job, taking care of my parents, is making them leary. They are wondering ...

I have a felony on my background I have a question about applying for a job.?
I have a full time job and just recently applied in the health care industry for a part time evening job. I was up front during the interview because I knew they would run a background check anyway. ...

How much does a lawyer get paid?
I want to know how much a lawyer or attorney gets paid either Annualy or PCM(per calender month)? If i have used the words wrong, I mean the guy up the front in a suit defending the defendant etc. ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Thursday, July 24, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links